Samplebank vs Snapshot

Ok, so I’ve already deleted all my samples accidentally in the past so I’m trying to keep from doing that again. My current sample manager bank is full, I’ve saved it as a snapshot which is linking to samplebank 1 (my current sample manager bank).

Now I want to load some of the elektron sample kits to my uw, so if I delete all the samples in my sample manager will that effect the samples in the snapshot that is linked to sample bank 1? Is there a way to choose a new samplebank which will then be completely clear and ready to be filled with new samples?

I read the manual but it doesn’t really clear up how the samplebanks, sample manager, and snapshots are related, and how those are related to whichever current sample bank is currently in use.

1 Like

let’s talk terminology for a bit :slight_smile:

when you save a snapshot, it saves what’s in your kit and pattern memory, not the samples in your samplebank per se.

that said, saving the snapshot does also link the current samplebank to the snapshot … which means the next time you load the snapshot, that same samplebank will load up as well.

once you upload samples into your md, they are saved automatically. switching snapshots or samplebanks will not affect the contents of the samplebank’s memory – in other words, you don’t have to save the bank manually. erasing samples has to be done manually.

this is in contrast to snapshots, where you have the CHANGE vs. LOAD snapshot option. if you have selected LOAD and you want to switch snapshots, you need to actively save the old one first if you don’t want to lose the patterns and kits you made since your previous save. not so with CHANGE, where switching snapshots saves the old one. both options have their advantages but that’s another topic :slight_smile:

if you want to use the samples from a different samplebank with the patterns you are using (i.e. the snapshot you currently have loaded), go to the samplebank menu and choose your desired samplebank from the list. the samples in the previously loaded samplebank will not be affected. you can go back and choose the previous bank again and they will be there just as before.

one other point here: kits are not the same as samples. kits can have sample slots assigned to them, but the samples you hear will depend on the contents of the samplebank.

the easiest way to do what you’d like might be simply to choose a new empty snapshot and link a new empty samplebank to it. then you can load the kits and patterns to the snapshot and the samples to the samplebank, save the snap, and you can do whateve you like there without worrying about snapshot 1.

hope this helps.

4 Likes

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. :+1: