Samples with lower sample rate end up bigger on the +Drive

Hey,

while uploading some samples of varying quality, I noticed that Elektron Transfer apparently “normalizes” sampling rate - I guess due to the Digitakt only being able to play back files with a specific sample rate?

The device could hold so much more samples if only different sampling rates were supported.

A collection of many small tracker-samples, originally 26 MB, ends up too big to fit the devices 1 GB storage while uploading.

this is very frustrating, especially since the +Drive is not extendible in any way.

I almost feel bad asking, since 1.30 added so many great features and value to the Digitakt, but is something like variable sampling-rate playback on the roadmap?
Does anyone know of a workaround?

The only workaround I can come up with is writing custom software that manually increases sample rate to the Digitakts standard and adjusts playback-speed according to the files original sample rate (example: original file has 31.25 kHz, target is 48 kHz - so the file has to be sped up by a factor of 1.536 and manually slowed down on the Digitakt later). but since programmatically working with WAVs turned out ot be quite a hassle I’d rather wait for the responses before starting coding :sweat_smile:

I’m thankful for any insights :slight_smile:

Yes, Digitakt only plays back 48khz and transfer converts any samples to 48 khz, 16 bit mono wav. For stereo samples Transfer takes only the left channel, when you sample on the DT stereo sources are summed to mono (both channels l+r).

Probaply not.
What you can do is trim your samples as best as possible. Also with the new Transfer you can export whole projects including samples easily. I guess you could “swap” projects including samples.

For stereo samples Transfer takes only the left channel

that was not clear to me. Meaning that I’d need to mono my samples manually if I wish to retain the information from the right channel? Thanks for the info, I never noticed…

Also with the new Transfer you can export whole projects including samples easily

apparently I missed this development. gotta check the new transfer out, then!

Apparently the + drive has been deliberately gimped and potentially could store 4 gb if Elektron saw fit to do it. Very frustrating indeed.

Th digitakt has been out for many years, none of this info is hidden or changed during that time (except that transfer has been released ) .

As usual there are alternative devices out there if this really is a problem, and i’m sure their info is out there for when you do any research before buying.

Yes, real stereo signals are best prepared and converted from an audio editor or daw. Or simply sample directly into your DT.

Many samples are actually dual mono (=same signal on both sides), Transfer would be fine for them.

Yeah, definitely do that! Don’t forget to update the firmware of your Digitakt, DT needs the new firmware for Transfer to work.

could you elaborate? do you mean that it would be technically possible for the digitakt to address 4 GB of memory or is the hardware capable of 4 GB and its somehow limited by software?

oh i got the digitakt specifically for what it CAN do - had it for about a year now and am constantly looking for ways to sidestep its limitations. i do this with all hardware i own, its just part of learning the instrument for me

Apparently so. there is a youtube video where some guy is taking a look at the internals and the +drive is a 4gb memory chip which is not being fully utilized. I’ll try to find it.

1 Like
1 Like

thank you for finding the video.
damn, only reason I can come up with is durability, maybe…? even if 4x redundancy is seeming like overkill.
or elektron will pull an arturia and reveal the extra-hardware-feature in a future update.

Your question already has been answered, but just as food for thought:

The Digitakt workflow is quick and to me the whole point of the instrument is its quickness. So in stead of importing whole libraries or whole packs of samples, make a selection before hand. Otherwise you just import a library of samples from which only a small part will ever be used. Digitakt is not a computer in that sense :slight_smile: . I create most of my sounds and sample smyself but occasionally I import some bread and butter samples like 909 and 808 stuff. I don’t import the entire sample pack but I make a very strict selection by auditioning every sample of the pack and only import the samples that I really find useful. I do the same in my live perfomance project.

The result? I currently have one project containing about 35 different grooves using 100 sample slots and only 40 MB of RAM. I could get even more millage out of it, and I will, by creating more sample chains of hihats etc. The +drive now contains about 300MB of samples.

With this I can play for 4 hours straight, no problems ( in combination with other instruments). This is probably a pretty extreme example, but just to show you that by preparing samples and packs before importing them, you can get a lot of millage out of the DT’s seemingly low disk and RAM space.

On a side note: If you like low-fi sample rates you could also double or triple the speed of samples before importing them. Then tune them down in the DT. This saves a lot of space and you’ll get a nice low-fi sound :wink:

5 Likes

I’d be inclined to load them into audacity or wavosaur and batch convert them to 48khz mono.

Both can merge stereo files to mono, and both can change the sample rate by resampling to 48khz, both are free, quick and easy.

Edit: @DaveMech gave a great tip, double the speed, then convert to 48khz, you will save space as the samples will be shorter, and you will have a nice (24khz) lofi vibe.

1 Like