Sampling/Machines in Machinedrum

Hello,

I just got this beast, and have some basic questions:

1. When I put R-P Ram machines on tracks, do I have to sacrifice 1 midi track on those? Or is it possible freely edit tracks, lets say I want to put sampling machines to BassDrum? Or can I import sample to lets say CB track?

2. Is it possible to copy parts of the pattern, like 16-32 steps?

Sorry to bother you with these questions, didn’t get answers from (nice printed) manual.

1. A ram play machine takes up 1 track. A ram record machine takes up 1 track. A midi machine takes up 1 track. A bd takes up 1 track. Whichever you choose, you essentially ‘sacrifice’ that track…they are 100% independent.

Tho I’m not entirely sure I follow you…

1. Use the program C6 from the Elektron website.

2. Yes. Go to step edit, then to the steps-page you want to copy, do the copy manouvre, and then hit the page button.

1 Like

Hi, actually I JUST deleted question 2 because founded that out before reading your answer :slight_smile:
So to elaborate, when I import sample, it makes all the necessary machines to corresponding track? So in theory, would it be possible to use MD as 16 track sample player? Or 12 track midi note player with 4 tracks of samples?
3. tried that, it never copies…And, when making new lenght lets say 32-48, it seems to copy only the track set in Sound Selection?

I don’t understand your question.

Yes.

Yes.

You can use whatever you machine you want on any track. The names (‘bass drum’, ‘snare’, ‘open hat’, etc) are helpful for structuring your kits to be similar, but you can have all 16 tracks be sample playback. Or all MIDI. Or all bass drums.

So you can import any sample onto any track. You can load a sample onto the “CB” track.

And you can use a “CB” type sound on the bass drum track.

Try your manual again. It is in there, and it works.

OMG. I think I came to a whole new world here. If it is so, that I can use 16 tracks to play my samples, or midi, or the mix of those. And ofc “machines”

I seriously did not expect that when I bought this, I thought that like 4 sample tracks/midi tracks.

Goddamn. This magnificent bitch is starting to look as good as Chloe Moretz!

Excuse my language!

There are, of course, only 4 RAM Record and 4 RAM Play machines available, and the ROM machines have only a small amount of memory available to them. The user interface for all these functions is also very restricted, but there’s no doubt that the MD has many more possibilities than one might expect from the description “drum machine”.
Have fun!

There are, of course, only 4 RAM Record and 4 RAM Play machines available, and the ROM machines have only a small amount of memory available to them. The user interface for all these functions is also very restricted, but there’s no doubt that the MD has many more possibilities than one might expect from the description “drum machine”.
Have fun![/quote]
Exactly - for example one creative thing you get out of this is using 1 Ram-R machine with multiple Ram-P machines playing back the same recording.

1 Like