Sampling Vinyl

When buying a turntable for sampling vinyl, do I need one with a preamp or can the Digitakt boost the level?

I am trying to decide on a basic turntable under £150

You will either need to buy a separate preamp or buy a turntable with a phono preamp built in.

If it outputs line-level rather than phono it has a preamp and you can plug straight in to the digitakt.

If your buying a cheaper turntable it probably does have a preamp built in

Even if you could boost the level enough without it you would still have to deal with the riaa curve

Be warned that depending on the flavour you’re going for that these things will impact the quality of your recordings. Built in pre-amps, even in midrange TT’s, tend to be a bit ‘meh’.

If you’re not chasing hifi recordings this won’t matter, but worth mentioning.

And yes definitely need amplification, it’s not like line-vs-instrument, the signal is basically inaudible without a preamp.

2 Likes

Any recommendations for cheap turntables with a preamp?

Research led me there a while back, but my record collection is still several countries away, so I haven’t actually picked one up yet. Will be keeping an eye on this thread in case anything else shows up

The only turntable that is worth buying for heavy duty use remains the Technics 1200 Mk2 (I don’t recommend the recent plastic reissues: they are trash)
You can find it used in decent condition for $ 500
My advice is to buy 2 of those

2 Likes

I don’t know about that, I know they are industry standard, but my pdx2000s are built well and have some nice features. Only ever had problems with the feet

The audio-technias are good for the money

Not everyone has the budget or need for a better turntable, just for sampling almost anything should be fine, maybe don’t get a Crosley though

1 Like

above are good, but Stantons are also quality, I’ve got a nice st-80 that has a quality digital output as well, rock solid

1 Like

Not even possible ten years ago.

“Super-OEM” tables are just fine. I’ve got the AT-1240-USBXP. +/- 50% pitch control is nice for sampling or just examining textures up close.

If you manage to find a good deal on a 1200, then go for it. I borrowed one from a friend for a few years for $0. But claiming that only 1200s are any good is like claiming that you can only make electronic music with an OG Minimoog.

Edit: If you don’t need pitch control and won’t be grabbing and pushing the platter, there are plenty of inexpensive belt-drive tables that range from OK to pretty decent for basic listening & sampling. Oldskool 1200s are nice but so expensive.

Edit2: the above still seems too aggressive/dismissive. Get what you like - but you can have a lot of fun with vinyl without a 1200. There may even be some good deals on 1200s now as people unload unnecessary luxuries.

2 Likes

I use a Numark TTX-1 and find it to be a cheaper and seriously over-built alternative to the 1200, with both phono and line level outputs.

1 Like

To answer the OP’s question: phono to line level involves applying the [RIAA Curve](https://en.
wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization) so you do need either a phono preamp or a table with one built in unless you are specifically trying to get a f’d up sound.

I’ve used that for years. Decent built in amp.

I did use the emu 1616m amp when I was a broke college student and that added a nicer sound.

I have a Vincent tube amp somewhere for that turntable and that also makes the samples sound good

1 Like

Well, I’ve learnt something new today. As this is a standard are all phono preamps in dj mixers doing the same job to the same standard? My 1210s have only ever been plugged in to a DJM600 so that’s what I’m used to.

1 Like

Yes - applying the RIAA playback curve is what differentiates a phono preamp from other preamps.

2 Likes

@obscurerobot
Yes: SL1200Mk2 is the only possible turntable for dj use. I’m sorry: this is what it is and is not my fault.
No idea where you live: $500 for a decent 1200 is the price in the US (and even less for a fair condition unit), check on ebay.