Scam site Warning!

I was checking out prices for Berhringer Virtualizer Pro 2000 on Google and this site Behringer FX2000 Virtualizer 3D Multi-Engine FX Processor has one for £39 and tuppence, no pic or info… too good to be true and a bit of a weird price so I investigated further. The postcode leads to a back alley in London with no shop front, OK, could be an office connected to a warehouse. So I put in a search for Behringer and a bunch of pics come up all with very low prices but no other info… load more… ooh look, a DeepMind 12 for £76.94. They are happily accepting Paypal… can it be real? LOL

2 Likes

Weird site name that makes no sense in the English language and has a logo comprised of a generic font? Check!

Random picture of a person which has nothing to do with the items being sold? Check!

Bizarre prices which not only make little sense from a currency perspective but also are far too low for any retailer to make profit? Check!

Lots and lots of red flags. Avoid like the plague.

7 Likes

I have been looking for a red handbag though.

5 Likes

a .us site, prices in gbp and a shows uk business address , domain registered with french address in Paris, which seems to be some students housing address… seems legit! :grimacing:
anyway, seems they have a us phone number, +1.8722726118, wanna call them up?

2 Likes

Seems like a really simple credit card trap, I wonder if they would bother paying to maintain a human on the end, even with thousands of these sites online.

Much easier to just fabricate data, and i doubt the target demo for these ever uses contact info to verify.

These scams work only when there is little human intervention, they utilize “high risk” merchant services and don’t need to worry about the fees or chargebacks, they probably use stolen cards for hosting and domain registration too.

1 Like

“Association des soeurs antonines” even the nuns sell synths now ? Ahah

2 Likes

I can see a future where spammers use AI to auto generate nice looking websites with legit looking photos, descriptions, reviews etc. for specific niche products.

I think it’s most likely already happening.

4 Likes

there are wordpress plugins available today which give you real products and listings by search query, they are meant to be used for people building affiliate stores however can be used for any purpose, you literally don’t need any fancy AI to get a wordpress site with a nice commerce theme and a plugin…

4 Likes

Scammers can generatively create sites, I catch niche items in searches when I’m checking the world for something no longer in production.

Sister’s fiancé is a “shoehound” so I had to be fairly firm and repeat that if something is out of stock everywhere and was a limited run, she’s not going to find it online unless it’s outright fraud or cheap counterfeit. Far more likely to be the former and it isn’t worth the energy to have to go through a chargeback process in either case.

I don’t doubt they do good business on whatever identity/card/bank info theft, the sketchiness of these sites in UI and that wowstorenotascam.biz is mostly outweighed by the perceived need for something the person can’t realistically have and at not-insane resale prices.

1 Like