School me on modern hip hop

I’ve found it hard to get into kojeys new stuff but his music has been so close to me for many years. One of my favorite discoveries.

1 Like

Thanks for that post.

I really like Thug. Barter 6 is a legitimately excellent record.

I also really like Metro Boomin and 21 Savage’s work together

It’s too bad we get more from Pop Smoke (and 808Melo has the best hihats in the game)

1 Like

Vince Staples on a couple of SOPHIE-produced beats

and the rest of the album bangs almost as hard

Check out Danger Incorporated’s early projects if you like lofi/witch house type stuff that isn’t cliche

Modern hip hop wouldn’t be what it is without lil Wayne (but be warned that at the same time, about half of his stuff is really really bad)

Nicki Minaj is essential too, and she’s gone through so many different eras and personas that you’ll definitely find something to like

2 Likes

i’d like to have a bit of dialogue (exchange & trading tapes is very much in the spirit of hip hop :slight_smile: )

a few things in reverse order of quality, starting with myself:

thanks for linking to me but i gotta admit — i was confused at first how i got tagged here because i very rarely make decent hip hop and so it felt weird to see you included a beat of mine

i forgot what this sounded like actually and i’m not mad at the choice (just think there are other tracks that represent “new school” styles more clearly)…concentrics 5 was a beat tape made across several setups and “tart…” was one i did with SP 404 resampling and delay

it’s totally focused on the drums

hip hop is about capturing a feeling and i’d say track 5 from the same release, weighted / keys, was an intentional nostalgic knod while track 1, trusted/axe, or 11, no / soup are more new…heavily influenced by soundcloud’s era of dominance on the beat scene and a few leaving records peers (dakim/ras g)

OP may or may not like those cause they’re a bit simple

i have other beat tapes i’d consider more traditional production or fit for a new school MC (thinking of shekasteh or ZVK)

anyway
i love jean + quelle chris and ESPECIALLY the track you shared above

two tangents from that

anybody who liked that vid should def check the albums he’s done since then

one of my other favs he made with roc marci

ALSO the dude playing sax on GPO is a pretty legendary producer in his own right, dane, who just exec produced this fantastic release with Nina

some other great songs from the new school for ya @Fyzion

plus some instrumental producers you might like

3 Likes

Yeah I had to scroll back a bit through BC to find Concentrics lol.

For me, the essence of beats! Considering MCs are working in meter, tempo, cadence etc, the rhythm of the instrumental is crucial and, in hip hop, that is so often established by the drums. I linked “tart” because I felt it got to that essence while keeping it interesting with the processing you were doing. That type of processing is what I think of when I think of “modern” hip hop. “weighted/keys” was, imo and no disrespect, too explicit a homage in this sense (but admittedly maybe the OP would be into it…I just saw the word “modern” and started throwing links). I almost linked “no/soup”, but “tart” got me nodding my head at about 100bpm. So for mid-90s hip hop, I chose it :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m nowhere near as versed as you in hip-hop, let alone your own music. So I appreciate you stopping by to correct the record!

1 Like

this is really cool analysis and i’m in agreement

sorry if it came off like i was correcting you in any way, the work i make is not defined entirely by me

i’m just thankful you see me as part of the sprectrum of artists being discussed in this thread cause i create from a hip hop mentality and alot of what i do follows the lineage in some way

i often veer far enough from whats common in the genre it makes me hesitate to stake a claim

btw one more random rec…you heard this before?

Nah don’t feel this way, i’m just another music nerd
and i’m old so i’ve been listening and collecting for a while

if you ever wanna chat about hip hop dm me cause i’m sure you’ve got stuff i can’t learn about on my own

1 Like

My favorite hip hop album from the last decade

3 Likes

Likewise. Really loved Kojey’s 23 Winters release.

1 Like

Some gems on this:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ndBwiTkRhbFcN49VSk2sR97-gIeLPj8v0

Czarface - Super What?

1 Like

Mostly just standout guest verses on other people’s songs.

He’s got a documented fear of releasing his own content. It’s pretty sad, when you consider his talent.

I also like this Vince Staples from the first album

1 Like

Still my favorite project of his. No IDs beats are stark.

1 Like

Here’s some stuff I really really like that haven’t been posted.

1 Like

just in case

1 Like

Nice tracks but I think you misunderstood the thread. I’m looking for recent hip hop from the last decade…

2 Likes

That last part in mic check… wow. Never heard that :astonished:

2 Likes
1 Like

This is a beat I keep on going back to, the Scottish accent maybe a bit impenetrable for some of you but the guys got flow even if you can’t catch every single word, also whoever is doing his production is mad skilled…

Here’s his band camp catalogue too

1 Like

Burgundy Blood. Rapper / Actor / Motivational speaker.