Selling music for App

Hi.

I´m been making music for some commercial Apps in the past and now I got a new offer for a job, making music and sound design for an educational App.

There´s not that much money in it but I could be a gig leading to other jobs(maybe). In my experience, I`ve made the music and got a fixed fee, meaning that I sell off my rights to royalties, so if the music was used in a promotion on television etc, I wouldn’t get any income from that.

In this job they want me to make sound design for a specific game but also the jingle for the whole App. They plan to expand to more game and the company could potential grow and go in a more commercial direction in the future.

Do any of you folks do App music?
If yes how do you set your rate and do you think about the fixed fee and giving the app the right to use your composition for eternity?

I’m afraid I don’t have any direct experience or wisdom to offer with regards to sync licensing however, coming from a freelance design background, I see a couple of familiar red flags:

I found out the hard way that rates and expectations should be based solely on factors that you can control, not the “plans” or “potential outcomes” of others. Doing “cheap” work for a client can lead to them not valuing your expertise and taking their business elsewhere when the budget allows.

I’d be inclined to ask for an up front fee with recurring royalties but trust your gut instinct, continue to do your due diligence and hopefully someone on this forum can offer some more practical advice. Wishing you the very best of luck!

3 Likes