Send pattern change from Ableton to Digitakt

Hello,

I’m currently building the barebones of a live performance with ableton.
My plan is transfert these sequences (that follow the constraints of the DT sequencer) in the Digitakt when the 5/6 tracks i’m working on will be ready.

My workflow is very simple:

• the digitakt receives notes from ableton, where i compose MIDI patterns
  • the digitakt plays these patterns and I’m happy

Now, I’m having a little bit of a struggle when I try to preview the track played from ableton into the digitakt because i need to change the pattern manually on the machine to hear what the pattern sounds like with the sounds of the bank it will be played on.

Hence, my question is the following:

• is it possible to change program of Digitakt when changing the pattern in ableton, for exemple:
  • i play my first pattern in ableton on Bank A1
  • when I change pattern in ableton for 2nd pattern, Digitakt goes to Bank A2 and so on.

Any input greatly appreciated

kind regards

Edit: I’m aware of the latency on changing patterns and loading presets that makes this technique irrelevant to play live (with ableton+DT), but I just need this technology for my workflow to be less painful as I’m not planning to use a computer for the live.

1 Like

For the record i just found an approach that works fine even tho it have latency:

• create empty midi clip
  • program it so it uses DT FX control channel (default 16 I think)
  • use empty midi clip and use Bank / Sub / Program in ableton to send the scene.
    Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 14.31.04

Bank A from 1 to 16 will be: Bank 1 / Sub 1 / Pgm 1-16
Bank B from 1 to 16 will be: Bank 1 / Sub 1 / Pgm 17-32
And so on

Hope it helps someone

2 Likes