Separate pattern lengths

Hi there, I’m trying to use separate pattern lengths and I’m getting some grief.

The pattern is 16/16 and I’ve set one track to be 15/16 (5/4 is the aim) but the first note is double triggering as a result as if to make it 16/16.

I was advised to try setting it 20/32 instead but this does not change the result. Anyone with a good knowledge of elektron sequencer have a good idea what’s going on?

the master length (shown in pattern length page func+page) for your pattern is probably still set to the default 16 steps. set it to 64steps to get a normal 4 bar loop where the shortened track will only “reset” after 4 bars, or set to infinite (turn encoder to the left one value past 2 to reach infinite) for it to run freely only resetting when it mathematically lines up with the first step of the master length. if you choose infinite length, you may want to set the change length to a multiple of 16 otherwise it won’t switch patterns until you stop the sequencer

3 Likes

i worded the end poorly, whatever value you set the change length to it will switch patterns after that many steps, so setting it to 16/32/64 is a nice way to play with polymeter/polyrhythm while being able to switch patterns at a ‘predictable’ rhythmical moment

1 Like

If you want the two tracks in the pattern to cycle repeatedly then the crucial setting is M.LEN (master length). If you set it to INF (infinity) then the tracks will loop forever but you can also set it to the Lowest Common Multiple of the tracks’ lengths, which for 15 and 16 would be 240.

4 Likes

LCM (a , b) = a x b / GCD (a , b)

LCM = Least Common Multiple
GCD = Greatest Common Diviser

In this example :

LCM (15 , 16) = 15 x 16 / 1

Because GCD (15 , 16) = 1

Or you could try the Elektron Calculator for Syntakt:

2 Likes

Very nice … looks usable for model:cycles/samples too.

Yeah, hadn’t thought about making calculators for those specific machines, but the DT/ST would work well enough for now…

Edit: added Model:machines calculators:

1 Like