Sequencing external synth with the Digitakt by playing the keyboard

I have a basic question for which I can’t find a solution. I would like to sequence an external synth (Blofeld) with the Digitakt by playing the keyboard of the synth instead of the buttons of the Digitakt. (And play other sample tracks/drums on the Digitakt at the same time)

My setup is:

Digitakt MIDI OUT -> to MIDI IN Blofeld (this way I can sequence/play the Blofeld only on the Digitakt- at least when i wanna record the steps,notes)

Blofeld MIDI OUT -> MIDI IN Digitakt ( this way i can play the external keyboard and it records the steps and notes but it only does on the first track, not the selected midi track)

I’m using ‘track 9/midi A’ for the synth. CHANNEL is set to 1 on the SRC page.

PORT CONFIG:
OUT, THRU PORT FUNC - MIDI
INPUT FROM, OUTPUT TO - MIDI+USB
OUTPUT CH - AUTO CH
RECEIVE NOTES - YES
… I’m not sure what else is important to mention here

CHANNELS:
TRACK 1 - CHANNEL 1 … TRACK 8 - CHANNEL 8
TRACK A CHANNEL - OFF. … TRACK H CHANNEL - OFF
AUTO CHANNEL - 14

So basically my main problem is: when i select track 9 with the midi channel i can play the synth but it also play the kick drum on track 1 at the same time. even though track 9 is selected! And it records track 1 instead of track 9.

Try setting Blofeld’s MIDI channel to, let’s say 9.
In DT, MIDI Config - Channels, set Track A channel to 9 also.

Channel 1 is by default going to trigger Track 1, but you can change it, or turn it off, in the same sub-menu.

You might want to turn Local Off on the Blofeld.

Or you could try the auto channel… (see manual ;))

1 Like

Blofeld: local off and midi send and receive channel (if can’t be set separately on 9.) Leave digitakt settings at default with autochannel on 9.
DT: Midi track A or whatever to send to 9.
Now you should be able to use the Blofeld keyboard :musical_keyboard: on the active selected track from 1 to H. If you need to play live over the sequence just select A (which is set to 9)
it can be a bit confusing but the channel setting on which the DT respond are in the main project menu.
The midi channel that transmits notes from DT to the MIDI out is set in de src track page:

1 Like

Thank you! It works! I tried the same thing as well with the MakeNoise 0-coast + Arturia keystep.

One more question:
Do I need one of those ‘Midi solution quadra thru’ box if I wanna connect and control/sequence both synths (the Blofed and the 0-coats+keystep) this way at the same time? Or can I just get two midi splitter cables?