Sequencing Octatrack: Polyphony?

Hello,

I want to buy an Octatrack soon, it will be my first Elektron machine. I want to use the Octatrack to sample monophonic notes from my synths.

I will control the Octatrack with an external sequencer, to sequence each track. I know that the Octatrack can play 8 different samples at the same time (each one represent a track), but is it possible to play chords ? I mean playing the same sample with different pitches (polyphony) to create pads…

I like so much the EMU e6400 for that, It’s my favorite sampler, I hope the Octatrack can do the same.

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

I’m new with the Octatrack but as far as i know what you want it’s not possible. Octatrack can play eight monophonic tracks so no chord play allowed although you can sequence midi chords (up to four notes).

Hope this helps

1 Like

Yes, you can play the same sample, re pitched over several tracks to effectively create a chord. I find that It’s a little hit and miss due to how re-pitching is managed. Some times works fine, other times it doesn’t quite sound right. I’m writing this from the view point of using the OTs sequencer. Thinking about it , you probably can’t do this if sequencing externally or if trying to play via a keyboard.

You could, of course, sample the various mores from your synth and build your chords using raw samples rather than pitching but it’d take a while. To play a chord on the OT would require p-locking in any case.

The OT won’t emulate what the Emu is doing - ie a single sample over full note range allowing x not polyphony and rep itched playback but it does offer potential alternatives. They just take a little more work.

1 Like

Thanks, I understand!

By the way, I want to check if you can sequence the sample 1 via the midi channel 01, sequence the sample 2 via the channel midi 02… up to sequence the sample 8 with the midi channel 08. Is it possible ?

And is it possible to change the sample of a track by sending a midi CC message ? If not, how can you do to achieve it ? My goal is to sequence the Octatrack via midi - and to play more than 8 samples by switching them during the song.

Thanks a lot!

You can do all that with the OT itself - its sequencer is very flexible and P-locks let you change sample assignments. Not sure what your external sequencer will get you that you can’t do inside the OT?

1 Like

There is no way to dynamically change sample locks though (i.e. you can’t programmatically change the sample locked to position 1 of track 3 via MIDI or Scenes or the internal sequencer).

Sequencing from outside the OT breaks you free from the 64 step limit and the arranger. If you set tracks to play free, you can trigger samples, tracks, and chromatically play samples via MIDI across how many bars you want without worrying about the arranger.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity: what sequencer are you planning to use? I can’t imagine this scenario; the sequencer is superb and the very heart of the OT.

I use a Cirklon for sequencing and a Linnstrument for playing it live. I actually don’t find the Elektron sequencers that amazing compared to the other hardware step sequencers I’ve used.

1 Like

I’m not an Octatrack owner, so take this with a certain grain of salt, but using the OT in this way seems to be playing against its greatest strengths instead of with them. It’s very much designed to be a performance instrument that the performer plays directly, and if you’re primarily using it as a sample library with an external sequencer, you’re going to be buying into a lot of features you don’t really need.

I’m guessing your aim here is to have a hardware box of your favorite synth sounds that would be more portable for gigs than lugging around all of your heavy analog synths?

If that’s the case, the best value for money is going to be a laptop, a VST sample player, and an auto-sampling app such as SampleRobot or Apple Mainstage. You could also use something like Renoise to cover both of the latter duties.

Hardware samplers are fun, but even the most recent ones have been well outpaced in the amount of available memory and disk space by general purpose computers. If you’re philosophically opposed to gigging with a laptop, I understand (and sympathize, even), but I’m not sure what you are looking to get from the OT that your existing Emu sampler can’t do.

3 Likes

Alternately, by externalizing control, you gain the ability to have more of a realtime performance either in conjunction with or in place of what the OT internal sequencer has to offer.

Even if you treat it as Ableton where each track is a one shot clip, complete with triggers, p-locks, etc, being able to start and stop tracks in the context of a larger piece is a very cool feature.

So, by using the MIDI capabilities in conjunction with what the OT brings to the table, you can create a very dynamic performance with repeatable and controllable results.

There’s a 1,001 cool ways to use the OT no one way is the correct way.

1 Like

I use a Cirklon for sequencing and a Linnstrument for playing it live. I actually don’t find the Elektron sequencers that amazing compared to the other hardware step sequencers I’ve used.[/quote]
Ok cool, the Cirklon certainly seems nice.
I’m not saying the Octatrack has the best sequencer ever made. There’s stuff my old Yamaha RM1X did that I don’t get on the OT. But for playing the Octatrack, the Octatrack sequencer is ace. I agree that you would be better off with some other device if you just want to sample synths and play them back chromatically, and with polyphony.

I use a Cirklon for sequencing and a Linnstrument for playing it live. I actually don’t find the Elektron sequencers that amazing compared to the other hardware step sequencers I’ve used.[/quote]
Ok cool, the Cirklon certainly seems nice.
I’m not saying the Octatrack has the best sequencer ever made. There’s stuff my old Yamaha RM1X did that I don’t get on the OT. But for playing the Octatrack, the Octatrack sequencer is ace. I agree that you would be better off with some other device if you just want to sample synths and play them back chromatically, and with polyphony.[/quote]
I agree with that as well. I’ve had traditional samplers from the Emu Emax to the Fairlight. If you want to play back polyphonic samples, mostly straight up, that is the way to go. I definitely didn’t want a traditional sampler this time - I wanted something that would treat audio as a liquid and the OT does that.

I often think of it as a no preset monosynth - throw something into the AB inputs, sample it, mangle it, and just keep going. With Rusty’s editor, I’ll have no fear of starting with a blank project every time. When I want to consolidate the good bits, I’ll just fire up the editor, copy and paste them into a single project and be on my way.

1 Like

Wantsies! Send one to me? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Likewise, quite poor in my opinion.

[/quote]
I think they are now shipping internationally. If anyone buys your editor, maybe you’ll be able to pick one up, just charge $1500 per copy. :joy:

As far as the sequencer goes, for their early product (the MD) the idea of a step sequencer combined with p-locks works very well. The step sequencer paradigm is familiar to many folks and easy to use in real time. The p-lock concept is a brilliantly simple way to add nice, controlled variations to drum patterns.

Their sequencer design seems best suited to real time playing/interacting and less so to song creation. The limits of the physical form factor, controls, and screen (and internal design) present a number of obstacles to smooth song creation. I don’t mind limitations, but you still need the right tool for the job, and IMHO there are other tools better suited for creating songs from patterns/sequences.

1 Like

[/quote]
I think they are now shipping internationally. If anyone buys your editor, maybe you’ll be able to pick one up, just charge $1500 per copy. :joy: [/quote]

We’ll see… I’m not holding my breath, but yeah, if OctaEdit pays for something, the Linnstrument is very high on the list.

Pity I can’t sell you a copy… :wink:

PS: You should get an email tomorrow…

I find myself consistently co-signing what you write. So, I’ll do that again. Makes my life easy :joy:

I agree 100%, and your example of being able to create patterns beyond the 64-step limit is just one fine example.

However, Halban has given no indication of wanting or needing any of that. On the limited information given, it sounds like there is an expectation that the Octatrack will be a deluxe and/or modern version of an Emu sampler.

So I remain curious to hear more about Halban’s reasons for being interested in the OT in the first place. What are the needs the Emu doesn’t meet? What are the attractive features of the OT to you?

There’s no one “correct way” to use the OT or any instrument *, but it’s entirely possible for an instrument to not be right for a particular person and how they wish to use it.

• (In fact, I love using instruments against their intended uses. Bowed piano, prepared ukulele, circuit bending, routing audio signals as CV, all kinds of fun!)
1 Like

^^^

:+1:

Never heard about bowed piano, if I´m reading/understanding it right you use a bow (duh!)?
To play the strings directly with the bow?

But… how do you do that?!

Never heard about bowed piano, if I´m reading/understanding it right you use a bow (duh!)?
To play the strings directly with the bow?

But… how do you do that?![/quote]
You only use the bow hair. For example, check out this stellar performance by Stephen Scott’s Bowed Piano Ensemble:

I just ask for the old bow hair back when my cello bow needs to be rehaired and repurpose it for experimental uses.

Another nifty trick seen in that video is using an emery board for shorter staccato notes.

I’ve also been thinking it should be possible to rig up a cranked resin-coated wheel like the ones used in hurdy-gurdies and get a continuous drone that way, but I have yet to buckle down and DIY an effort at making it work. I’m hoping it could be sort of an acoustic version of the E-Bow.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay. I want to use it with the new sequencer SQUARP Pyramid, it allows polymetry & polyrhythms, euclidean sequencing, pattern length up to 64 bars, CC parameters lock, midi effects…

I want to sequence my synths and the OT with this sequencer to use the best out of the Pyramid sequencing.

In my dreams, I want to trigg and tweak samples of the OT with Pyramid CC messages. I want to use the OT as a sample bank but also use the powerfull effects of this machine, controlled by Pyramid automations and IHM (encoders, accelerometer, touchpad).

To not have the polyphony with the OT is not a problem for me, but I want to know if everything listed above is possible.

And I want a 100% hardware solution :slight_smile: