Sequential Pro 3

INHALT is curious, whenever i don’t want to like a synth, watching one of their(?) videos will do the trick. what is heard coming from the hydra video or the summit one made me dislike them instantly, this video is no exception… ( I think all 3 synths are really cool)

2 Likes

I totally agree. The INHALT video was the worst Pro 3 video by far.

3 Likes

to be fair, I’ve never been into synth pop or wave or any other ‘traditional’ synth music, so I’m probably not the target audience anyway

2 Likes

agreed in full… literally just watched this!

I have a modular which is more percussion based, does anyone know if you can sync the Pro 3 to a clock like a regular gate pattern

Although I’m not 100% certain, I believe you can.

Double check the manual just in case.

I’m not sure you can from reading the manual. Looks like it will output a clock like signal from Gate Out on back panel but can’t find any settings for this. Might be able to sacrifice a sequencer track also to output clock but no way of syncing it to a tight modular clock. Shame really.
Looks like it’s midi sync only which is disappointing.

I think there’s a way to trigger sequencer steps, one at a time, via a signal sent to a CV in. A tight modular clock, sending a steady signal, should sync the two nicely.

Yeah should be able to do that but not quite the same as syncing the Pro 3’s arp to an incoming modular clock, now that would be a deal breaker for me. Still a very nice synth, debating whether I sell my ob6 for one.

I can’t get enough of new YT videos posted. I’m an absolute fiend with this thing… honestly not sure what it is about it yet. I think the best one by far has been the one from Ricky Tinez. I was completely mesmerized by some of those arps and patterns with the glide. It’s going to be a real struggle to wait until I have the cash to get one. The emergency fund might have to take a dip for a few weeks. :laughing: :rofl:

3 Likes

Awesome write up! Very much agree with what you’ve said. I’ve had mine exactly a week now and have been meaning to write something up, but at the same time holding off a bit. I still have only used it probably 4-5 hours total with everything that’s been going on. I’m going to try to post some thoughts maybe this weekend, but wanted say thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Yeah Pro 2 and 3 seem pretty dang different, despite sharing the basic idea of super mono synth with deep paraphonic modes, cool sequencer and CV in out. How they handle wavetables, filters and fx is totally different seeming to me.

I don’t have a Pro 3 but on the Pro 2 if you run an old chromatic sampler through the audio input (I use an akai s1000) you can definitely get a paraphonic digital sizzle in the style of a Evolver or Prophet 2000 if you crave it. I certainly would think it would work on the Pro 3.

One reason more modulation on the Pro 2 might not actually matter as much compared to the Pro 3 is you basically need to build your own FX on the Pro 2 with the stack of delays. Meaning more often than not an LFO is going that way. Anyways I hope some day the Pro 3 becomes as affordable as the Pro 2 got because I certainly want one… but also not willing to part with the Pro 2.

2 Likes

I’m surprised that there’s no talking about this beast.

Anyone got/expecting one?

Ever since it was announced it got my interest and in the few demos available online it sounds great to me. I really liked this one:

I can’t say that I like the looks of the regular version but it’s not ugly either. The panel looks a bit cheaply made though, compared to a Sub37 for example. And the knobs aren’t the best looking either.

It’s definitely on my wantlist. I hope a desktop version will be announced at some point though.

1 Like

I had the chance to play with it in my local store before the Covid and I can say that it’s very solid especially the knobs. IMO, the Filter knob is in its own category.

2 Likes

I’ve had one for a few weeks, but haven’t had a lot to add beyond what 606 wrote above (nicely done). Looks are of course subjective and I’d reserve at least some judgment until you can see one in person. I think it looks great and have no issue at all with the front panel. I paid zero attention to the fact that it’s an overlay vs. being silkscreened until weeks later when someone else mentioned it in a review. If money and time were no option I’d have gone with the SE (just for the hinged panel), but for my use I really can’t justify the extra money not to mention it simply wasn’t available and likely wouldn’t be for several months. I won’t completely rule swapping it out for an SE much further down the road, but I have many other desires ahead of it and it’s just not that big of an issue at least for me. Knobs can be swapped out, but I think the stock ones are quite fine and fit the look.

Build quality is outstanding overall. It’s an absolute tank and the feel/quality easily exceeds any keyboard synth I’ve ever had since the mid 90’s. The only thing that comes close are desktop synths I’ve had from Studio Electronics or other boutique outboard gear.

2 Likes

Got one yesterday. Yes. It clicks via USB, midi or dedicated clock in.

Start stop is annoying when you change certain params in global or sequencer.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks. Just have a few questions. Do you patch the clock into one of the CV ins on Pro 3 ? How does transport work from the modular to the Pro 3, ie how does the modular start and stop the Pro 3 ?

OK, i wasn’t right on clock in. My bad.

I’m clocking it from a KeyStep, which then sends classic start/stop to the P3 seq.
I can then send on ‘clicks’ from the sequencer track to drive a modular clock.

The P3 has a number of MIDI sync modes, but i’m unable to get it to send start/stop out.
So it’s mostly a slave for me right now.

2 Likes

Been waiting for this one!!

9 Likes

When I see and listen to it, makes me thinking about selling some modular stuff and go with the pro 3 :face_with_hand_over_mouth: wuld love to see an inbuild lowpass gate. I can imagine fx are really good. I totally like chorus and phaser on my p6 :nerd_face: