Sequential Pro 3

Some bloke on the internet reviewed the Evolver in 2003 and mentioned the two envelope shapes in the ‘Modulation Mayhem’ section of their excellent review!

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/dave-smith-evolver#para1

1 Like

You all have any idea if the pro 3 white noise generator is analog or digital?

Aha yes, just shows my memory is a foggy and unreliable thing these days :wink:

1 Like

not gonna watch , lalalalalalalala :hear_no_evil:

dont do it dude

4 Likes

The biggest problem with his video is that he’s using the SE with the panel tilted all the way up and you’ll be like “yes, better ergonomics is absolutely why I should pay 50% more for wooden side panels!”

3 Likes

sometimes it all hinges on… well, a hinge. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You don’t hafta :slight_smile:

1 Like

One thing I’m learning is that paying more for ergonomic improvement is nothing to scoff at. Especially if you think you’ll be using said device a lot. As I approach 40 (!), one thing I’m realizing is all that stuff catches up with you. Of course, as I type this, I’m slouching, sitting on my couch!

7 Likes

Yeah, I think it is also important to recognize that they are selling it as a special edition, which often means a smaller run in that format and thus an extra little price hike on top of the price hike that it has for wooden cheeks and adjustable position.

1 Like

I think I’ll hold out for a module and if that doesn’t come after a couple years, try to find a second hand SE.

It would be nice to see Dave put out a synth module with a proper sequencer again, as the last one was the Evolver (i guess technically Tempest as well, but ya get me)

3 Likes

Well that sounds fantastic. I am set with my MEK, but it sees likes great fun, flexible mono noisemaker

1 Like

Yeah having the pro2 I would almost instantly want a pro3 module, they would need to keep the sequencer controls exposed though. Dsi is able to price there modules pretty well also so I would imagine it wouldn’t be too spendy.

1 Like

As I patiently wait for mine to arrive, I just wanted to share which preset I like most so far from listening to demos. The preset that starts at 54:51 is so sick imo.

4 Likes

I’m right there with you. First time I’ve pre ordered a synth before… a brutal wait

Yeah that preset is awesome. Evolver territory

1 Like

I hate this guy. Now I want one.

He’s personally responsible for me going down a rabbit hole on a few things now…

9 Likes

He already has me at 2 minutes in with the paraphonic glide.

2 Likes

Dang I didn’t realize you could do arp and sequencer at the same time… that is really cool. Pro 3 certainly sounds great, and it is really smart of them to now have the initial patch to now have some slop turned on, that is the first thing I do after making an initial patch on the Pro 2. Seriously though don’t sleep on the Pro 2 it has a few interesting quirks to its sequencer that are unique with slew per note being really neat on ping pong sequences but over all that side of the synth isn’t quite as crazy (its still pretty crazy as you can run up to 16 sequences of different lengths at the same time) but over all you are just getting more of everything at around half the cost used… seriously Pro 2 is a steal and totally worth trying out if you are into the Pro 3. Basically everything he does in this video can be done on the Pro 2 but with the addition of running 2 filters at the same time in serial, parallel and even splitting oscillators among the filters.

Both synths are really great and Pro 3 has the new synth smell but I dunno Pro 2 is easy to be equally passionate about. Plus 4 Super waves paraphonic mode :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Don’t forget linear FM. Pro 2 is a modern classic!

I fought very hard to avoid buying a Pro 2… I reeaaally wanted one when they first came out. TBH, as impulsive as I am kind of shocked I didn’t wind up with one. Likely to do with the fact that there’s no place around me (aside from a very average Guitar Center) that has gear to demo. Nearly everything I buy is based on YT videos and user reviews.

My issue has nothing to do with the synths themselves, but I’m very (intentionally) limited on space and keyboards are tough. I have to use a stand and can’t leave it setup. I generally limit myself to desktop modules and with those I only have space to use 2-3 at any given time. I come up with something, commit it and put the module back on a shelf. It’s a weird way of working, but it helps limit and focus me which I need.

I’m probably going to wind up with a Pro 2 or 3 at some point though. One of them and an Analog Four MK2 is really all I need to be ‘done’.

4 Likes

Yeah, Pro 3 is a bit smaller in size so it might be a better fit for you… I got myself a new flight case recently that packs my Pro 2 mixer and digitakt nicely in one container (with a touch of modification) played out live with with pro 2 digitakt and mixer such a breeze to set up and really fun set up. Been pulling samples from my A4 and other gear now as I really can zone in between the 2 units. I think A4 and Pro 3 would be an awesome pair also, especially that mk2 with CV inputs, it would be like a really wild modular with total patch memory.

2 Likes