Sequential Pro 3

Very cool! Do you have patches set up just for audio processing? I was going to start doing that, and starting to think about how I want to organize those (naming, and groups).

Nah just one out from the Octatrack into the audio in on the Pro2. Send random loops through the signal path and go wild with filter, amps, feedbacks delays. Sounds really large

2 Likes

I sampled a news cast over the radio to the DT, and was sequencing it to the Pro 3. I lost control, and was glad I was recording.

5 Likes

Added a vide on things Iā€™ve found while working with the Pro 3.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried routing the CV to itself? (CV Loopback)

Iā€™m messing with this, and getting interesting results, but fully admit I donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing :laughing:

What I did was connect a mono TS cable from CV out 1 to CV in 1.
In the mod matrix, I then sent OSC1 to CV 1 Out, and CV In 1 to OSC1 ShapeMod.

Iā€™m hearing differences vs doing this without CV, but it could just be that the ranges are different.

Before I spend more time on this, i just wanted to know if itā€™s identical to doing this in the mod matrix without going through CV.

Best regards,

Gino

Hey @Gino when routing audio to the Pro 3, does it sum it into a mono signal? Say I want to run my Prophet 12 into the Pro 3, does it convert the Prophet 12ā€™s awesome pan spread and delay fx and stuff into mono then? Iā€™ve read the manual but donā€™t quite get it, maybe because yes it does cause itā€™s a mono synth so why would we even type it out? But for dudes like mā€™self, they need to type it out :slight_smile:

The audio input is mono, and is a single jack. So I donā€™t think there is any summing since you can only send left or right.

Let me know if that helps, and if not I could do a test for you. On my setup, I can route any Bitwig track to the PRO3, so itā€™s easy to convert it to mono before I send it. I only have the left channel physically connected from my audio interface to the PRO3.

2 Likes

No worries, thanks for replying. I think Iā€™ll just do a live test myself. They donā€™t carry the Pro3 around here, but I found one now at a bargain with a return period of fourteen days. Itā€™ll be enough to know if this is for me or not. I donā€™t see myself dropping the Prophet 12, but I do see the potential that a Sequential with a sequencer could bring to the mix, if they can both play together as well. If the input can handle a stereo source and keep it that way, thatā€™d be something. But itā€™s not crucial, I can see a bunch of very useful scenarios for the Pro3 in my current project, so Iā€™ll just try it out and see what it gives. Thanks for replying @Gino your work is quality stuff, mate :slight_smile:

1 Like

They certainly are, which is what helps to make them more expensive (outside of the US).
Obviously components can come from all over (same for Moog), but assembly and main production is in the US

1 Like

14 Likes

:heart_eyes:

Do yourself a favor and sequence your Prophet 12 with that bad-boy.
Iā€™ve been sequencing poly VSTs (Arturia, NI, u-he) with my Pro 2, and am loving the workflow of taking my main Pro 2 sequence, and copying it to other tracks, and making little variations of the sequences for sending MIDI to pads, bleeps, harmonies elsewhere.

5 Likes

Iā€™d buy that just for the cutoff knob.

1 Like

oh you tricky devil! A new addition. To think - I was getting ready to message you about minimal setups (since you seem to generally keep yours minimal). Definitely would like to hear your thoughts on this one though.

Funny thing about that SE version.
I wasnā€™t a fan of wood sides on synths, but since Sequential also puts the Walnut under the keys, if I had to get a Pro 3 to accompany my Pro 2, Iā€™d have to get the SE version for sure.

My latest overly-caffeinated live electro set daydream (aka far from reality) is just a Pro 2 on one side, Pro 3 on the other. And that new TR-06 in the middle of it all. Internal sequencers and FX for everything.

The previous one was SFX-6 + DNK + AK on drums. :dark_sunglasses:

4 Likes

Yeah. Itā€™s orange, after all. No one puts this synth in a corner.

blasphemy!

I actually really dislike them when theyā€™re added to vintage synths that didnā€™t have them. like a Juno 106 or MS20 with wood sides just looks wrong.

1 Like

Oh, for sure. Tho it might hurt, because in the long run, I donā€™t see myself keeping both. So now, the trial begins. Which one to keep? We shall see. The sequencer is something else, too. Far more powerful than I thought it would be.

Iā€™m more so than ever, which is why Iā€™m trying this out. A day doesnā€™t go by where I donā€™t lament the lack of a sequencer on my lovely Prophet 12. Enough demos convinced me, the Pro 3 can go to the same places and beyond, like the Prophet 12. Thereā€™s the polyphony missing, of course, but you can get very far with paraphonic mode, and to places poly canā€™t go.

But I know the Prophet 12 so well, so itā€™s gonna be a tough call. But setup breaks down to one synth, the Deluge and a few Chase Bliss pedals. All other gear are peripheral, borrowed, around for a project or wonā€™t be staying long for other reasons. Keepers, tho, are few and far between.

1 Like

I sometimes go in that direction, too. Just a synth, maybe two, a drummer and then Iā€™m done. But so much of what I do contains textures only samples can give me, and Iā€™d miss that too much. The upside of a sound thatā€™s heavily sampled based and somewhat suggestive - itā€™s endless. The downside - itā€™s endless.

But yeah, this one, the Prophet 12 stays, and a drummer to go with those two. Thereā€™s a simple beauty to that I can appreciate. But I wonā€™t be going there, Iā€™m sure.

EDIT: Right, this one donā€™t get to stay. Donā€™t worry, @cold_fashioned Iā€™m keeping it slim still. I did sequence the Prophet 12 with it @AdamJay and while it was a fine experience, it didnā€™t offer anything I couldnā€™t already do with the stuff I had. Mate of mine is into modular and when he took a look at it, he came up with a zillion scenarios on how to use this synth, all of them related to his rig, which is brutally and spectacularly modular. Heā€™ll probably pick it up instead of me returning this to the store. Also, heā€™s never owned a Sequential, and heā€™s been wanting one for some time.

But make no mistake, this is a spectacular instrument. That it doesnā€™t fill my needs has nothing to do with the fact that itā€™s a fantastic accomplishment from Sequential. I have nothing bad to say about it, I thoroughly enjoyed every moment I had with it. And the sequencer tells me that if Sequential ever went back to Tempest-like territory again, theyā€™d have something entirely unique in the market.

4 Likes

I gave in. Proud new owner of a Pro-3 as of day before yesterday.
Iā€™ve only been able to mess with it for a few hours so far but damn! This thing sounds great. Weighty. I think @Gino described it as ā€œsinisterā€ in one of his videos and it can get there effortlessly but it can get all soft and pretty too.
I think I can safely unload several monosynths now (keeping my evolver of course, on the fence about the mb2s, but the rest will go).
I did a lot of reading/ listening before buying so I pretty much knew what to expect, the only surprise so far;
The sequencer is better than expected, itā€™s very well integrated.
I should update the firmware but Iā€™m a bit afraid to after all of the warnings on the sequential website. Has anyone had anything other than a smooth experience doing that?

4 Likes