Sequential Pro 3

Hi! Here is a M4L controller for the PRO3:
https://maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=7705
Hope you will like it! Let me know you feedback.
If you want to support, buy my music (KafkaCtrl on Bandcamp).

5 Likes

Essential advice, thanks! I urge everyone to do a little experiment:

• VCO 1 at 60, AMP env amount at 60, open up main volume
  • set some distortion
  • crank VCO level and AMP env up, main volume down
  • compareā€¦

Now do the same with grunge.

At 127, both the distortion and grunge sound awfulā€¦ At 60 with a single VCO you can barely hear the grunge effect. So that grunge surely has a sweet spot for a certain range of input gainsā€¦

I was also surprised how hot the headphone output is, you really have to be careful with the volume. Lower stages might solve that as well.

The main question is: why on earth is the VCA and env amount at max setting for the init patch if proper gain staging is so crucial?

1 Like

I noticed the headphone amp is easier to overload than the main outs too. Probably has turned off some prospective buyers who didnā€™t understand.

I think the excessive gain is mostly a good thing though. The Pro3 is capable of a pretty wide range of sounds.

The extra gain is welcome for thinner HP or BP sounds where you would have to add gain externally. It also allows you to drive things into the distortions or grunge with those types of sounds. Perfect for overdriven acid squelch type sounds.

I do believe itā€™s well thought out, it just requires thoughtfulness to make sure it always sounds good IMO.

On the init patch though, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they intended for you to start by adjusting the OSC types and levels. They still could keep something much lower though.

Or, maybe itā€™s intentional, like this synth isnā€™t for casual whiners :joy:
Put in the work and you shall be rewarded :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Haha, no clue šŸ¤·šŸ»

1 Like

I agree with you and @Airyck that letting a professional tech do the swap is the way to go.

If you want to play with DIY, you need:

1. A reasonable quality soldering station. I have an older Hakko 888, there is a Weller unit (WES51?) that is also good and affordable. No-name brands are probably not worth the trouble.
  2. Big tweezers, ideally with wood or plastic insulation for your fingers. If you are sloppy, you can heat these up and burn yourself!
  3. Solder paste - you will be dabbing a tiny amount of paste with a pin or toothpick. Donā€™t use wire solder!
  4. Something to practice on, like this proto board, or one with 0603 pads
  5. Some 0603s to play with

Solder braid and a solder sucker can be helpful, but with 0603 you can usually just warm up the whole thing with the side of your iron and pick the device with your tweezers, if it doesnā€™t just glom on to your iron on itā€™s own.

One more thing: never use a sponge with water to clean your iron. Instead, use the brass springy stuff. Water is a fairly harsh solvent, doubly so when you heat it up and itā€™s full of the random ions that come with tap water.

@Airyck is much more experienced than I am at this, but my first SMD project was a MidiPal, and it was much easier than I expected. I 100% prefer SMD over thru-hole now.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only ever done through-hole mods. Iā€™m certainly not going to make my Pro-3 a device to learn on.

2 Likes

I love the gain staging on the pro3. The more points of adjustment/ larger range the better. You can dramatically change a patch by adjusting gain at any number of points. Simple and effective. The evolver had some of this vibe too though I think itā€™s better implemented in the pro3.
Itā€™s capable of some beautifully disgusting sounds when driven hard.

5 Likes

I really do! And I am the first to be a bit disgusted by the clickbaity future YouTube is leading us towards, but unfortunately seems the only way, as an incredibly small channel, to get my video to the people like you.

Thank you for looking past the title :heart:

1 Like

Itā€™s a fair question, and yes is a fair answer to anyone with about 6u of straight-ahead Euro. It is probably reassuring to anyone who isnā€™t looking forward to plowing used car amounts of money into synth gear that they can get a lot of sound design out of the Pro 3.

I love the barefoot Lyra-8 jam:

1 Like

Couldnā€™t agree more.
Recently I looked up the price for an intermediate (I donā€™t want to use the word ā€œdecentā€) sized eurorack system, and ffs everything is incredibly, Iā€™d dare say stupidly, expensive.
I guess I wonā€™t get that lovely Strymon Starlab then :frowning:

Thank you so much: jams like that are sooo much fun!

2 Likes

Sorry for using the ā€œcā€ word.

Your video did inspire me to consider a Pro 3, although my financial situation changed quite a bit since then.

Love the Lyra-8 vid too!

Welcome to Elektronauts!

1 Like

Totally off topic, but that Solar 50 video you did is the shit.

I listen to it almost every day.

1 Like

Thank you a lot!
Seems like a fun place :sunglasses:

I am sorry to hear about your situation with the Pro3.
In the meantime the prices should only go down for the used market, so you could be able to catch a deal sooner than you think! But yeah, life gets in the middle of many things

Thank you so much! I am so glad :gift_heart:
Do you prefer the first one with the internal FX or the most recent one with the OTO pedals?

1 Like

Thanks!

Iā€™m sure I can get one in a couple of years.

The unexpected expenses include replacement of the roof. Pro 3 plus Prophet 5 and bass guitar or new roofā€¦ ok, roof wins. :sob: :wink:

I know the feeling.

This what $8000 looks like last summer.

Thatā€™s the small A/C unit. Waiting for the big one to die in the next few years.

When itā€™s 110+ degrees all summer every summer, itā€™s kind of essential.

3 Likes

The first one.

Iā€™d love to see an example of this.

Anyone with a poly and a Pro 3 able to try this? 4 note chord, set notch to about 10ā€™clock, and then wiggle the filter cutoff slowly? Also, could this be done with and without the chorus?

Added a video on making simple bass patches on the PRO3

3 Likes

Iā€™m pretty set on getting a Pro 3 as my ā€˜Swiss army knifeā€™ mono and midi controller once I have the space available to me, but since that might be a while off yet Iā€™m wondering what sort of mono might pair well with it to cover other ground.

Iā€™ve not heard much in the way of more laid back or liquid Roland-y tones from it, for instance. Maybe something with that sort of sound might complement it well? And Iā€™m not sure how well it can do that super crusty, wheezy variety of analogue - maybe something like a Dreadbox Nyx might have a character the Pro 3 struggles to emulate?

I know thereā€™s been a fair amount of debate about getting ā€˜vintageā€™ sounds out of the Pro 3 since it came out so hopefully Iā€™m not inflaming that here. Having dug through loads of demos itā€™s clear it can get into at least some of those territories with gain dialled back etc. Iā€™m just curious about where it struggles to reach the most, I guess.

Pro 3 can cover A LOT of ground. Itā€™s pretty complex (not hard to get around though). Sometimes itā€™s nice to have something simpler as well.

Out of my collection of Mono Synths there are a couple that I feel are really different enough to say they compliment the Pro 3

• Korg MS20 FS
  • B2600 Blue Meanie
  • Moog Matriarch (Iā€™m sure Grandma counts too).

Those 3 just have their own kind of sound.

If you learn the Pro 3 well enough, I think you can coax most mono synth styles out of it.

I highly recommend the MS20. Nothing sounds like it.

3 Likes