Sequential Pro 3

Ah yeah, the MS20 was another I was going to mention. I haven’t heard much sounding like one in the demos but then I guess the Pro 3 has lots of other varieties of ‘aggressive’ on tap.

1 Like

Even outside of the “aggressive”, the MS20 sounds unique. The dual filters and general dirt of the MS20 are unique of course. It also has those strangely operating envelopes that kind of lead to different sounds.

In owning the Pro 3 I’d still say having a hands on simple mono synth is more important than the particular sound of it.

Sometimes you just don’t feel like digging in you know?

Different synth interfaces for different moods.

3 Likes

MS-20 is a legit vintage design and can be dialed to sound smooth.

Behringer Pro-1 is a surprisingly good quality low-cost monosynth.

2 Likes

Anyone know of a comparison video of the Pro 3 vs a Minimoog? There’s comparison videos out there with all kinds of synths and yet I would have thought a Pro 3 using the Ladder vs a Model D would have been one of the first to come out.

Thoughts?

Minimoog has a third oscillator doesn’t it ? I was doing a search and noticed there weren’t any videos either.

1 Like

J3PO seems to love using his Pro 3 for bass, which is one of the traditional roles for Minimoog

He still uses Minimoog for bass sometimes

I wouldn’t jump to conclusions as to what he thinks is better between the two though.

1 Like

I don’t know of any videos directly comparing the two. They’re pretty different flavors of synth. I’ve never owned a minimoog but I’ve played quite a few.
With the three oscillators and ladder filter of the pro3 you can get some ballpark minimoog-ish sounds but the basic character of the oscillators is pretty different. You need to manually add instability to the pro3 to get that moogy drift. It might be passable in a track but it would take a lot of work to fool anyone in a side by side comparison (weird objective anyway).
Also for whatever it’s worth, the ladder filter is hands down my least favorite filter in the pro3. I almost never use it even though it has bass resonance compensation (unlike the model d).

1 Like

least favorite filter in the pro3

Interesting… is there any reason to this or does it come down to just taste? From everything that I’ve read about the Grandmother/Matriarch, you’re never going to get that Model D gritty base with those synths (oh, and include the Sub37 here too), and so I was wondering if the Pro 3 could do a ballpark Model D :sweat_smile:

Oh just taste. It’s a great filter, it just doesn’t tend to fit most of my stuff. Plus the other two are are sooo amazing! The oberheim filter is unbelievably good.
The pro3 will do nasty gritty bass all day long without breaking a sweat but it has dave’s flavor which I happen to love.
Ballpark model d? Well, it’s a big ballpark. You can certainly get a lot of sounds that are reminiscent, I’ve never tried to really nail a specific model d sound. One of the first things I did with it was make a handful of patches that reminded me of Bernie Worrell which is all classic 70s model d stuff. It wasn’t deliberate, it just kinda happened.

2 Likes

With the Pro 3 I find myself designing a sound and then switching between filter types. They all sound good and sometimes I land on the ladder filter when it fits the sound.

With enough work I think you could get the Pro3 to sound pretty “Moog-ish”. To me that kind of defeats the point though. I don’t want to spend hours trying to mimic a synth. I like to do what comes easily to a synth and lean on its own strengths.

Made a cool brass type lead with it yesterday. The huge mod matrix and extra aux envelopes really let you get detailed in your sound design. I could explore this synth for the majority of eternity.

Im happy to finally be spending more time with it.

3 Likes

If you want a model d get a model d clone. That’s the closest way you can get to that sound. If you get a pro 3 just have in mind that you will have a more flexible mono synth. I wish I can say there is a way around it but only a model d and the clones can cut the mustard.

1 Like

Looking to get one of these soon to go with my Matriarch.

I’m also looking at a new desk, could someone tell me the height of a standard Pro 3? Website says 12.5 cm but I wonder if thats with the rubber feet. My new desk will only have 12cm space on the keyboard tray… so its close!!

Unfortunately, I think it’s going to be too tall for you to put on that shelf. Mine is currently standing on its side (not being using) and not on a desk, but it looks like it might even be a little bit taller than 12.5 cm (incl. the feet). The problem will be the knobs on the top row which are the tallest point.

1 Like

Many thanks. Looks like I can get an extra 1/2” by adjusting the keyboard drawer, so I think I’ll be ok.

1 Like

Anyone know a way to set the pro 3 to trigger Oscillator 1 first in Paraphonic mode? I’m just used to that setting in the Moog Matriarch rather than round Robin

Oh, and it didn’t fit under the desk. Doohhh

2 Likes

Looks like Pro3 just got a substantial price jump in Canada. It’s now listed at $2519.

1 Like

Yeah, here in the US the Pro 3 standard version went from $1599 to $1999, a $400 increase. Oddly enough, the special edition only went up $100 to $2199. There is currently only a $200 difference between the two.

Also looks like the Rev 2 jumped up in price now, with the 8 voice being $1999. That one used to be $1499. And the 16 voice is now $2599.

2 Likes

And the prophet 6 keyboard is now 3499. I remember getting mine on sale for 2399

1 Like

Yeah, I think the standard price for that one was $2799 when it was announced. That is also quite a price hike.

I noticed Andertons in UK shot up for the standard edition the other day too… Makes my one in the sales section nice and cheep!! :wink:

1 Like