Sequential Pro 3

While the Pro 3 is expensive, there isn’t much that really competes with it as far as specs go, and as a complete package. Looking at all of the mod sources and destinations in the mod matrix, combined with that sequencer is pretty impressive. I think the A4 comes the closest, but if I had to pick, I would probably choose the Pro 3 for it’s Prophet and Oberheim filters alone. Also for its interface. I dig my Electron gear, but having a real keyed, and many knobs per function is just a more enjoyable experience for me.

I do think they should have added more CV outs, but I also think 4 would be adequate for me. All I would need is some pitch CV out and then some gates/triggers to Mult out into external modulations and VCA’s. It seems like the idea was not to control and entire modular system with it, but to send things like CV and Gate out to trigger external modules and modulation, and then to return it back into the Pro 3 and utilize more of it’s internal modulation, internal filter structure, VCA and FX. That seems to be the thinking behind the A4 as well. You could do a whole lot with just a Pro 3 or A4, a couple of interesting oscillator modules, a couple of modulation modules, and a couple utility modules. Or pair either one with an 0-Coast, or one of the Moog semi-modular and go to town. And the with the Pro 3 and A4, the bulk of the patch can then be saved as a preset.

For price alone, the Moog Subsequent 37 could also be seen as a competitor, as it is only $200 cheaper than the Pro 3, but it does so much less in regards to modulation and sequencing, and no wavetable oscillator or FX.

1 Like

the sequencer alone…

1 Like

Sequential Pro 3 - $2000
Moog trio - $2100
Make Noise trio - $1500
Elektron A4ii (no keys) - $1500

All prices new. No one lists the AK anymore.

so only the Make Noise are “A lot less money”? And even less comparable to the specs on the Pro3? I still don’t get your rant

Hmmmm. I’m not sure how to simplify it further. Moogs are $700 each. That is a lot less. A4 is a lot less. Jupiter XM is a lot less. Octatrack is a lot less. RYTM is a lot less. All devices that I would rather have. You seem to like it. I don’t see anything special. Eye of the beholder. That is why they make so many different musical devices. I’m not trying to make you not like it. I’m just saying why I will not be buying one.

Eight actually, four in and four out, also a gate out and two midi outs. I’d say that all pairs pretty well with modular. Of course, it’s not going to be the main controller/sequencer for your modular, but I think it definitely qualifies for “pairs well”.

If you don’t like it, fine, but you’re comparing it to things with which it has little in common, it’s nothing like the Moog or make noise trio, but does cross over pretty well with the A4 in a few areas. Truth is there’s not that much out there like the Pro 3 (other than maybe the Pro 2). It’s a lot more than just a monosynth, which is part of why it’s pretty pricey.

5 Likes

Theres no need to be condescending. When you started out you said the Moog trio, not the individual units… so you were wrong about them being cheeper, and also comparing apples to oranges. If you don’t like it, fine - but why bother posting a comment thats untrue, uninformed and unfounded. Now you’re just adding a whole list of other synths etc that bare little resemblance to the Pro 3.

I like the pro 3 for what it is. I’m not protective of it, I’m even selling mine as its not what I need when combined with what else I have - But I worked that out buy owning one and trying it.

3 Likes

That’s good to know since the information I read just said 4. I only made that comparison because of their statement " Plays Well with Modulars" and “allowing the Pro 3 to become the central hub of a modular”.

Yeah, that might be pushing it a little bit.

1 Like

Hmm… Pro 3 vs. Moog Sound Studio 3…

Pro 3 is not just a monosynth. It’s a semi-modular - or full modular, as some would argue - packaged into a keyboard footprint. Patching just happens to be done internally rather than through physical cables.

So, both are semi-modular systems.

Pro 3 has the advantage in patch memory and maybe the sequencer area - several peeps have waxed poetic about its virtues while nobody talks about how amazing the sequencers are on any of the 3 Moog units, at least by themselves. It has also has built-in FX and a real keyboard with velocity and aftertouch.

OTOH, you can see all your patch cables on the Moog trio right away. Preset-free patching on synths like these encourage a different mindset, and thus lead to different results.

I have a Matriarch and 1/3 of the Trio but would not say no to a Pro 3. Just have to figure out how to better organize my spaces (living room, dining room, etc.), and oh yeah actually learn more about using what I already have.

2 Likes

So I have one of these coming… it was between it or the Matriarch and the smaller footprint, patch memory and price (used for $1300) cinched it for me. I had the Pro 2 for a while and was pretty familiar with it but ultimately it just wasn’t that fun in actual use… I’m hoping the portability, streamlined UI and actual VCO’s of the Pro 3 will make up for metal chassis, parallel filter routing and real FM options that I appreciated on the 2.

I see your point that it is rather pricey (especially new) but I don’t think it’s at all comparable to your examples. Closest things would be the Matrixbrute and the Matriarch, both currently slightly more expensive.

1 Like

True. The Minibrute 2S has spoiled me with that nice patch bay. After buying a Voyager and the VX-351 patch bay expansion years ago I’m really loving these budget synths with patch bays. Hell, compaired to the Voyager/351 the Pro 3 is a budget keyboard.

1 Like

Everything is relative :slight_smile:

Edited for Norfolk jokes.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Didn’t you also say $2000 for a monosynth was a joke? :rofl:

Sorry, had to go there. Then again, I also spent $2100 on a Voyager, and ironically got the same amount when I sold it.

1 Like

Hey, I went there myself. Cannot fault you. That was before Behringer and Arturia started releasing budget mono analogs. Actually, I used to own two. Had a Fire Red and an Ice Blue. Sold both of them. Forgot to sell the 351. I should put it up on Reverb. They seem to be bringing a good price.

1 Like

man… wasn’t THAT long ago you could get a (used) Voyager for around $2k. or a vintage Minimoog for not much more. OK, it was like a decade ago. but still… now Voyagers are $5k+ and Minimoogs (vintage or reissue) are $6k+ at that point, you might as well buy a System 10! :crazy_face:

back on topic: I saw a used limited edition version of the Pro 3 on Reverb last night for $1300. hope someone here snagged that!

3 Likes

Yep, props to whoever snags/snagged that used Pro 3 SE

Can’t say I wasn’t tempted. But now that I’ve gone down the path towards sampling any Matriarch or Subharmonicon sounds that I want to reuse, i might have a better use for an MPC Live 2 for its auto-sampling functions. But I’ll try the multi-sampling trick in Ableton Live first.

1 Like