Sequential Pro 3

Jexus has an established track record, so celebrating each new video of his is to be expected.

I like this preset collection better though, which was previous posted. Just my personal taste.

1 Like

My favorite thing about his review is the photic retinopathy.

That was my take on his review as well, that it was from the perspective of ā€œhereā€™s why itā€™s not perfectā€. Iā€™m okay with that, maybe a nice change of pace from the usual reviews.
I also think that all of his gripes and qualms are valid even if some of them donā€™t bother me. You do need to peel the onion a bit to get to the good stuff in the pro3. If there was a perfect synth we would all have it and that would be boring.
Iā€™ve never bought a patch collection and I probably wonā€™t buy this one either (itā€™s just not my way, I like making sounds) even though part of me just wants to support the guy. Iā€™ve gotten a ton of inspiration and entertainment from him over the years and itā€™s not like he sells merch. Well, he had those limited edition jexus xmas socks once but I missed my chance. This go ā€˜round with the pro3 wasnā€™t my favorite of his work but he made me dig deeper (and ultimately keep) a few synths Iā€™ve owned but was on the fence about like the esq1 and dx7. Plus he made the best evolver demo hands down.

1 Like

Iā€™m new to Jexus, but really appreciate the sonic layers he has is his patches. Like many I prefer to make my own, but Iā€™m tempted.

I really enjoyed his review, and agree with many of his points. The only thing I kind of disagree with is that I think the Pro3 has a lot of value as a ā€œstatic synthā€ with high immediacy; it has so many tones close to the surface. You can dial in a good bass, pluck, or lead quickly and I admire that about the PRO3. Now I do whole heartedly agree with him that itā€™s the mod system that makes it special, allowing careful tweaking and exploration of unique textures.

Come for the sound, stay for the modulations :grinning:

4 Likes

Curious if anyone has both the Pro3 and Pro2. If you could only pick one, which would you keep? Which one has the better workflow?

I sold the 2. The 3 is out of this world, tier 1 synth.

6 Likes

I currently have a friendā€™s Sub 37 here with me, and damn itā€™s phat. When I get a bit of time Iā€™ll hopefully be able to see if the Pro 3 can sound as heavy

1 Like

I have both. They are hard to compare for me. Sort of like comparing a Monomachine to an Analog4. If I could have only one right now Iā€™d pick the Pro2 as it is out of production and always seems to take me to weirder places. But Iā€™d still add the Pro3 again as soon as I couldā€¦.

The Pro3 definitely benefits from an evolved sequencer and probably does all the regular go-to monosynth stuff better, but the Pro2ā€™s quirks are what make it so great (4 delay lines, two simultaneous filters, etc, etcā€¦).

4 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I think Iā€™m going to try to snag a pro 3 soon. I know the pro 2 gets a lot of love as well, but I think the 3 will serve me well. Iā€™m hoping itā€™ll be a real forever type instrument for me. Something I can explore and really learn inside and out.

7 Likes

I was hesitating whether or not to buy the Pro3 when it was $1599, but once the price went up to $1999 the decision was easy: pass. Seriously, thatā€™s a 25% hike, not even the current rampant inflation is that crazy. The special edition probably didnā€™t go up much because there was less demand to begin with (YMMV but I think can warrant the extra $500 for essentially the same features plus two pieces of wood and a hinge). Now that the regular model has gone up by exactly that much, the special edition is more appealing.

Maybe ridiculous, but I have my Pro 3 at the back of my deskā€¦ so by putting it up on the highest hinge point, my back and neck appreciate it every time

2 Likes

You misread me, I donā€™t think the form factor of the SE is ridiculous, itā€™s the current price of the regular Pro3 I was referring to.

You said that the only difference is two pieces of wood. For me the selling point of the SE is the hinge. Wood is nice but unnecessary but the hinge is key.

2 Likes

My complaint was mainly about the price of the regular model, which IMO was the right price at $1599, and that was already pushing it a little. At $1499 it would probably have sold like hotcakes. About the SE, whether or not I think a hinge is worth $500 is separate matter. I donā€™t think it is, but before I had the option of buying the regular model. Now the prices are very close, and if I was hell bent on this synth it would makes sense to get the SE.

1 Like

I had both, kept the 2. The 3 is an amazing synth, but Pro 2ā€™s parallel filter, and all four voices being having the same capabilities (vs the 2 analog one digital) were big for me. The deciding point was the knobs - the 3s were a little too stick-y and not fun to turn during performance.

5 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. I had a window of opportunity to grab a 2 for a good price, but for the time being, that ship has sailed. Been saving for a 3, decided to keep working towards that.

1 Like

Not to drag you back in, but the SE has a silk screen print on the front panel. While thereā€™s a vinyl sticker overlay on the regular model instead. Just an FYI to a difference that gets overlooked.

2 Likes

No worries[quote=ā€œAiryck, post:738, topic:117900ā€]
Not to drag you back in
[/quote]

No worries, and thanks for pointing that out, I suppose the silkscreen looks a little classier and costs more to produce, though probably not that much. Iā€™m hoping the price of the regular model drops later this year, otherwise I donā€™t see myself owning one of these.

1 Like

New synth day.

12 Likes

Hell yeah!

1 Like