Sequential Pro 3

when i got mine i couldn’t bring myself to play it for at least two days, i just needed to take it in, i was a bit intimidated

3 Likes

I’ve only scratched the surface so far but first impressions are good. Some synths I skip through a couple of presets then head straight to the init patch an go from there. However with others I spend a bit more time on the presets, getting used to the overall sound. I’m still at that stage! So much to soak in. That said I’ve already got a big crush on the 2 pole filter!

1 Like

Just bought it again! Sold it 2 years ago to fund an Iridium. Didn’t really gel with it the first time, but have watched a few videos recently that made me rethink my decision on it. It was my birthday and I was looking at the Take 5, but I have about 5 polys already, so thought why not give the Pro 3 another chance. Got to say I’m loving it! Can’t wait to delve into the sequencer.

3 Likes

I have another coming today as well, this time the SE (thanks @KnockKnock!) and have been watching patch design videos in anticipation of its arrival. This one is particularly impressive, and goes deep into modulators modulating modulators.

5 Likes

I also totally wish (per the video @19:50) that BPM could be modulated.

1 Like

I was considering selling mine once I got the Subsequent 37.

I’ve changed my mind and I’m keeping my Pro 3 SE (and the Moog as well :joy:).

I had been using it constantly. Stepping away from it to use the Sub 37 (and coming back to it) made me realize how unique and special it is. Probably can’t make the kind of sounds I’ve been making with it on anything else really.

Maybe it’ll be the same for you?

1 Like

That’s interesting @Airyck, i sold a Pro 3 recently to fund a Subsequent 37. I am loving the Moog, but missing that Pro 3 sequencer. So I just ordered another one and I’m going to just make it work with both synths somehow. The Moog sounds so beautiful but the UX and sequencer of the Pro 3 are special.

1 Like

Funny that we were on the same path with this.

I planned to sell mine too but they are actually really quite different and both very special. I can’t part with either of them.

I have 6 analog mono synths now :grimacing: (3 are paraphonic though).

I really have to draw the mono synth line in the sand for myself now :joy:

4 Likes

Here’s and idea, get them all midi’d up and a have poly synth with 6 distinct voices. Sort like your own Vermona PerFourmer, but it will be the @Airyck PerSixer.

3 Likes

Haha, not a bad idea!

I’d have to come up with a way to handle voice allocation between them. I guess I could write a Max patch for that.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think I have seen a patch or plugin for that. I have also seen a midi box that does that as well. I’ve alway thought it would be fun to set up someday.

1 Like

Since 3 of them are paraphonic I could get even more voices out of them as well.

Matriarch 4
Pro 3 3
Sub37 2

12 voices if I’m okay with paraphonic style for some of them.

I hope I remember this when I have time to try it.

2 Likes

I also wonder if something from retrokits would work? I have their cable that turns the DT into an 8 voice poly, which is fun. The firmware can be swapped, and I think user edited as well. I know they have other devices as well.

1 Like

Probably.

1 Like

Damn it… today was not the day for this thread to pop up…

I bought an OB-6 yesterday, and have to sell something to fund it. I recently got a Matriarch and so thought the Pro 3 could go (and even took a photo of it so I could post it online tonight), but now I think I should sell an Alpha Juno 2 with the Retroaktive MPG-50 (which I only got last month)…

I was so happy with all my gear, but the OB-6 was an opportunity I couldn’t dismiss.

Damn. Thoughts?

1 Like

@alfiedotwtf Follow your heart.

2 Likes

Or maybe it was :thinking:

2 Likes

I have a problem with owning too many monosynths (with some being paraphonic) as well. I’m ashamed to number them. But they all have a different character from one another and different strengths. I try to trim the collection but I can’t bring myself to part with any of them.

Can’t wait to get the Pro 3 back in the collection!

2 Likes

It’s true there’s no direct modulation source. But the sequencer can clocked via any pulse, i.e. you can even run a cable from CV 1 OUT back into CV 1 IN, where the CV 1 OUT source is a square LFO being modulated by something else to get irregular rhythms.

6 Likes

I recently got a used Pro 3. Had a few issues with it, and Sequential support has been excellent.

In the end I had to replace the 2x wheels as the rubberized coating had gone sticky. And I had the flickering light and changing tone issue which required a replacement main board.

Both were simple to fix: inside the Pro 3 is a thing of beauty and it was super easy to self-service. Total cost to me was $12 for the wheels and $25 for a new board.

The Pro 3 is now working perfectly and I have to say, the sound this beast makes is incredible. Integrates nicely into my modular set up too.

:+1:

3 Likes