Sequential Pro 3

The pro 3 wasn’t for me for a few reasons

1. The knobs were usually stiff (maybe this was my specific board?)
  2. I was using it paraphonically which made the digital oscs wave table feel like a waste.

I had the pro 3 and 2 at the same time for a while and while I liked the feedback better on the 3, the 2’s ability to play filters in parallel or serial plus all four oscillators having the same options were why I kept it and sold the 3.

It always sounded kind of overblown and distorted to me but I read somewhere that gain staging was the issue - there’s like three places in the signal path that could be too hot.

This has me seriously considering selling mine. I have been having tendon issues for like nine months, and the Pro-3 is completely off the table - turning the knobs hurts my arms so quickly, nothing else I own has this effect. Which sucks, because it’s a cool synth.

Yeah, you have to be really careful about the gain staging. Even if I try to keep things mellow, I still find it wants to sound distorted and dirty, which doesn’t usually work for my music. I have to do a ton of work to make bass sounds that fit my music, which is the main reason I bought it.

It also takes up a fuckload of space. Im seriously considering swapping it for a Toraiz AS-1 or something.

1 Like

Would you be able to elaborate on this? I didn’t understand how it felt like a waste.

Love mine, I find it extremely fast to dial in patches, it reminds me so much of the DSI MonoEvolverKeyboard. It can make robotic lazers and drifty dreamy nostalgia. I don’t miss my Sub37 at all the Pro3 is the current King of Mono synths imho

4 Likes

I can’t say I’ve found the knobs too stiff on my Pro3 but I suppose that’s down to personal taste. They don’t even feel that stiff to me? But I’d take them over the pots/encoders on the Modal desktops I’ve got. They feel awful, sort of lightweight and cheap, almost as if they’re not connected to anything

Yeah!

Not sure your or other readers familiarity so I’ll just go basic with my explanation.

There are 3 oscs, two analog, one digital. The analog oscs each have 4, 5 waveforms. The digital has these same waveforms plus a bunch of wave table type options.

I used paraphonic mode a bunch to play chords, picking the same three waveforms across the oscs.

In this way I was under-using the digital osc. I could have used one of the wave tables but that would have been an odd third voice in an otherwise normal chord - once or twice I used this for an interesting effect but it wasn’t usable for most settings.

Seems like a small deal, but when I compared it with the pro 2, where I could choose the same oscillator type for all four, the decision was easier on which to keep.

I rather would have had three digital or three analog.

1 Like

My favorite way that I have found to use paraphonic mode is to fake having 3 separate sounds playing concurrently. I set each oscillator to radically different settings, and end up with rhythms that feel very “alive,” and constantly shift especially if the number of notes in the pattern is not divisible by 3. This works best with short plucky sounds.

It’s definitely not great for chords, but I’ve got better synths for that (peak, t5), so that’s not a problem.

1 Like

Ah now I see what you mean. It is kind of a strange design, having such a different third oscillator.

And one of the best design choices on the synth imho. The fact you can use it as a mod source is brilliant.

2 Likes

Yep very resilient mine has zero wear after more than a year of use.

1 Like

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hB-w5WTCHESsGt9a5BpX6bvFqmVjIjVE/view?usp=drivesdk

My power cord inlet/housing is wobbly and it feels like it might pull out entirely when I disconnect the cord. Sequential says this is normal behavior. Does anyone elses power cord inlet behave like this? I have provided a video above.

Mine fits nice and snug? Is it the cable supplied with the synth? Have you tried another cable?

Video requires permission.

2 Likes

Thanks, I think I’ve made it viewable now.

It’s the entire inlet/housing that wobbles. The plug fits snug inside the inlet and I’m pretty sure it’s the one that came with the Pro 3.

Mine doesn’t have any movement but I’ve had that on lots of gear without issue. The way that that part is made can sometimes allow a bit of play while still being mechanically sound.

1 Like

That’s my first time experiencing that amount of play in a synth. Thank you for the info!

I don’t like the look of that. Is that an SE or standard?

Me neither. It’s the standard edition.

Maybe they consider that still within their specification, but mine (also standard edition) is nothing like that and completely solid. That said, I’m not sure I’d worry about it too much since it’s such a standard and easily replaced part.

1 Like

Hard to tell from the video but when you push it from the outside so it’s tight against the chassis is there much of a gap on the inside between the chassis and the “stopper” portion of the plug mold? Maybe you could use something like a thin zip tie as a shim?
When I’ve had gear with that loose iec jack issue I’ve usually just adopted a practice of using two hands to unplug the cord, one hand holds the jack against the chassis while the other removes the cord.
While I don’t think it’s posing much of a risk of damaging the synth since it’s not a board mounted component it’s definitely not confidence boosting and I’d expect a better fit and finish from a synth in that price range out of principle if nothing else.

2 Likes