Sequential Pro 3

Had a DSI MonoEvolver, sold it got a S37, sold it picked up a SEPro3 it reminds me so much of the MEvolver! I can dial in patches so fast, the sequencer is amazing too!

3 Likes

Mine are , and I love it. Much prefer tight knobs over loose.

It has a lot of that evolver flavor! Iā€™m fortunate enough to have both and oh boy, the two of them together in sync is a thing of wonder.

2 Likes

You obviously donā€™t have the SE editionā€¦ Build quality including better resolution graphics than the normal Pro 3 is ridiculous good! and tilt function perfectā€¦ Well worth the extra cost.
I Love looking at it much more than the SUB37 not that its really importantā€¦ But it isā€¦ LOL.

4 Likes

Different strokes. Iā€™ve always thought the SE edition looked a bit goofy and unnatural with the wood sides. I have the standard and I like that it looks a bit like a Pro One.

1 Like

Trueā€¦ Absolutely nothing wrong with the Normal Pro 3 its Awesome, I just like the Tilt function and better screen printed graphics but either way I think Pro 3 is just about as good as a Mono synth gets!

2 Likes

Now that the Minimoog reissue is out, itā€™s eventually going to get compared to it. And as nobody else has asked yet, I may as well - how well does the Pro 3ā€™s Moog filter mode fair against the D?

Not as goodā€¦ But for me The Pro 3 is just way better overall for sound possibilities and yes IĀ“ve played my friends 2! Model Ds multiple timesā€¦ Saying that if I could I would have both!
Do you need a Minimoog noā€¦ Do you want one? Yesā€¦

3 Likes

To be honest, if youā€™re asking needs vs wants, then once you have a Pro 3, you donā€™t need any other monosynth because it does everything. But wantsā€¦ thatā€™s another question :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

My main moan on the Pro 2 is that the filter key-tracking doesnā€™t get slewed if you have glide on so you have glidey notes with a jumpy filter and it kind of sounds rough, especially on paraphonic patches.

I even tried routing the keyboard out via CV then back in to see if that would work but no luckā€¦ Plus it used 4 mod slots since you have to double up to get enough depth so wouldnā€™t have been ideal really anyway.

Curious as to whether they changed that on the Pro 3?

I personally think that the pro-3ā€™s ladder filter is horrible, I do not use it at all. Itā€™s one of the few flaws in an otherwise almost perfect instrument

Hrm. In anycase, for some patches the ladder filter has a bit more of a wild character thatā€™s harder to suss out of the others.

1 Like

In the mid aughts, I had a choice between a base model Moog Voyager and DSI MonoEvolver Keyboard. Yes the Moog was incredibly smooth, but the MonoEvolver had way more tones to discover, program, and play. I donā€™t miss my S37, and play my Pro3 every day! Nothing against Moog, I love them as a local North Carolina company, but they really need some fresh designs priced for mere mortals! I was glad they released their Moogerfoogers as plugins and picked them up on the launch sale. Enjoy this golden age before the next chip shortage or water war!

1 Like

The ladder filter seems the most ā€œthrown onā€ of the 3. Iā€™d have rather they just kept it similar to the pro 2 with the ability to run the two OTA filters in series or parallel and left the ladder off. The 4 pole ota is big and bold and the variable state filter is very harmonically interesting when you modulate that bad boy. The ladder just doesnā€™t do it for me either on this synth.

4 Likes

All that being said, I just decided to focus on a ladder filter patch on my lunch break and it does sound pretty dang good on a mellow, paraphonic, saw based sound. The trigon 6 didnā€™t really appeal to me that much due to the ladder on the pro 3 but maybe this filter would be nice on a polyā€¦

I fully agree. Honestly I would have been happy even if it just had the 4 pole ota as I use that 90% of the time. Itā€™s just so good! It took me a while to warm up to the vari-state filter but Iā€™ve become a fan now that Iā€™m used to it (youā€™re right about modulation being the magic ingredient there).
The ladder is a bit underwhelming but I hardly feel like that matters in the case of the pro3. And for the sake of discussion, Iā€™d keep my pro3 over a minimoog any day. Iā€™ve played lots of them lots of times and while theyā€™re great they just donā€™t do it for me in the same way. Also, not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

1 Like

Is the silk-screening more resilient (to wear/scratches) than the vinyl overlay? I would actually have assumed the inverse (the overlay on the Matriarch and Grandmother holds up very well to wear, but that might be a different material). I also prefer the colors and aesthetic used on the vinyl overlay, and donā€™t love the way the wood on this synth looks.

But the tilt function does seem worth the extra price.

I couldnā€™t have not got the SE for the woodā€¦ sitting alongside 3 Prophet polys and a Sub37, it would have stressed me outā€¦and the tilt is superbā€¦ Iā€™ve had it in its most upright position every time Iā€™ve used it.

Itā€™s a heavy bugger though, the regular one wins that contest.

2 Likes

Iā€™m finding it hard to gel with the Pro 3, I canā€™t put my finger on what it is, but it seems to be lead me to places/sounds that are not me.

Iā€™ll usually either INIT a synth or find a preset and tweak itā€¦ and most of the time it leads to something underwhelming.

I donā€™t get this my Rev2 or Prophet 6ā€¦ I usually find myself in good places with those.

Moog Sub37, same thing, I get results.
And the Analog Four mk2 is my favourite ā€˜letā€™s see where I end upā€™ mono synth.

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ve already made my mind up on the Pro 3 as being too modern for me, or if there might be a clicking point with it?
Anyone had similar experiences?

Yes. I felt the exact same. Bought mine during the first COVID lockdown. Just couldnā€™t get into it, found everything sounding a bit harsh. About a month later the Waldorf Iridium came out and I was having severe buyers remorse, so I sold the Pro 3 and bought the Iridium. Last year I seen a couple of videos by the Midlife Synthesist and Jameson Nathan Jones, by far the best synth YouTuber out there imo, and I decided to try the Pro 3 again. So bought it for a second time and this time I absolutely love it. Itā€™s all about finding the sweet spots imo. My Super 6 is one massive sweet spot but the Pro 3 you have to work a bit harder with. I love how you assign parameters for the mod matrix, so simple and you can get really deep with it and create some lovely textures with it. Iā€™ve posted earlier on this thread a video I made with it. The only thing I donā€™t like about it now is how it looks. I love the Sequential logo and would have loved to have had it on the bottom left of the synth like the rest of their range and some wooden sides!