Sequential resumes Prophet-5

Had a listen to this thing the other day, it has very big balls, not my cup of tea though, too vintage.
I was looking more closely at the Super 6.

I’m convinced that I will only be satisfied with the 10 but that the 5 is so good enough for me to make the mistake and regret that I didn’t get the 10…

2 Likes

fwiw I think there’s a good chance they’ll eventually put out an upgrade path from 5 to 10. I asked their engineer on MW and he basically said “we’ll see…”

this is basically the core of their argument that “we always wanted to put the 10 into a 5 body and now we can!” I mean… if now you can also make it upgradeable, and that’s a sale-able product, wouldn’t you?

anyway, I’m happy with the 5 and it hasn’t let me down in the voice count yet. I do layer it with a bunch of other stuff though. if it’s your main voice and you’re asking a ton from it, doing more textured and ambient stuff, etc… it’s possible to start dropping voices. but I also look at it like: am I OK with that “limitation” (that musicians way better than me worked around and wrote hit songs with…) or do I “need” ten voices…? :thinking:

3 Likes

The P12 is already giving you 12 voices polyphony. I wonder if the P10’s voices would clutter your mix more than the P5.

I’m not sure the release envelope argument for choosing the 10 over the 5 applies when you’ve already got the P12 plus Chase Bliss FX adding even more to the mix, as well as your samples.

1 Like

P12 and P5 is a lot of voices already, even if you go all in with the no samples direction you’ve been talking about. However, it’s not like it’s double in price. 2500 vs 3300 at Thomann, for example. Didn’t Sequential say they’re currently at work turning the P10 bitimbral? That would be a huge thing, if you’re going to pursue the self-inflicted restriction of not using samples (or overdubbing?).

For some reason I actually thought the P5 module was closer to 3k and thus out of the notorious ’under 2500’ category. I know I want a Prophet at some point. Makes one think…

Use a stereo reverb that has a high pass filter for the effect, preferably analog dry thru, so your Bass will stay central, treble thrown wide. Hello Ventris!

I use modulation a lot on the P12. Could be I’d miss it too much on the P5 / 10. Just thinking out loud.

I never use those in real time, tho, so I’m
approaching this from the sample loops-angle.

So that no samples thing didn’t last long :blush: I abandonded that route pretty quickly :blush:

:grin: :grin:
I received my Ventris and I must confess I now also have the P6 and the P10 at home…I could try that and compare if I was not that lazy!!
i barely touched my P10 for now so haven’t decided witch one would stay

1 Like

Ah, alright! Could’ve pushed it long enough to justify getting a P10, no? :upside_down_face:

I don’t use mine on the Prophet~6 (doesn’t need it), but it works a charm on the AS-1, where I use it for that stereo effect. Spacious :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Yes, I suppose. But I realised, after giving it maybe a week and getting nowhere and returning to my old ways and writing a song in an evening, it was just a phase :blush:

1 Like

I’m paralyzed regarding getting one of these as well. I feel I would regret not getting the Prophet 10 instead of the 5, but I’m really bothered that the 10 doesn’t have 2 separate outputs for amazing stereo sounds; what a wasted opportunity. I don’t want to pay even more for a modification either.

1 Like

Finally got to try a Prophet 5 Rev 4 at Chuck Levins. I simply played a chord and was immediately it with the Wow! factor. Not a fancy sounding patch, just a basic pad, but wow so inviting…

Also had some fun messing with the Prophet 12 and Prophet 6. I’m sure any geek would have figured out the relative sizes of P5 and P6 by reading specs and running calculations, but the P5 is noticeably bigger than the P6, visually speaking.

Moog One was also there. I have to admit it sounds a lot better in person through store monitors than it did on Youtube. But when I went back to the P5, I was again drawn more to its tones.

2 Likes

It’s pretty impressive. Big interface, huge knobs. Feels like a muscle car.

2 Likes

It had a luxurious look and feel to be sure. The very first time I played that chord pad, it’s almost like the P5 was saying “Well, hello there…”

Then after I came back to it from the Moog One, it was like “I knew you’d come back…”

4 Likes

good to hear. I’ve never been that impressed by its sound. but also never played in person. would be great fun to, but no idea when that’ll be.

Thinking out loud again, not expecting anyone to listen or reply, I’m just wondering if maybe my music simply doesn’t need the complexity of the Prophet 12, but just the warm and quality vintage tone of a Prophet 5. I love the suggestive and haunting character of my Prophet 12 but the sounds I come up with, I wonder if they might benefit even more from just the simple but rich tone from a classic vintage.

Won’t find out if I don’t try one, I suppose.

Probably… If you want to be in the ball park of a Prophet 5, why not give the u-He Pro 5 VST demo a go and sample that? The demo version emits crackling sound at irregular intervals but I’ve heard of people doing fine with it for sampling. I have the full version myself but it certainly hasn’t helped me with the itch for a real Prophet. Quite the contrary! I’m eyeing a P6 tho. Obviously I also can’t compare the VST to the real P5 but many people seem to think the u-He version is one of the better VST versions of a classic synth.