Sequential resumes Prophet-5

Me too friend :slight_smile: :orange_heart:

Dig that track! The P12 sits real well in there, any processing done on it? Curious to see how the P5 sounds with it. Also, I miss going into music stores

1 Like

Prophet 5 Rev4 owner here. Just from my personal experience the mono output has not been issue. I bought an Eventide Pitchfactor specifically for the micro pitch effect and to have a mono in, stereo out pedal. The micro pitch effect with the Prophet 5 takes the lushness factor to the extreme. That combination sounds so good that I haven’t thought about the mono output at all.
Also, the 5 voice limitation has not effected my use at all. Again, this is of course just my experience, but I have found the 5 voices most often to be more than I need. When it is not, I just overdub a second track. But, I am not much of player so I know for more competent key players this could be an issue.
The one area that I do have a few issues is that it definitely can feel like a very 80’s sounding synth. It is inextricably linked to that era of music. I bought it first and foremost for its sound even though I have zero interest in sounding like an 80’s fetishist. I just happen to love it’s sound regardless of the era it is linked to. But, it can sometimes be challenging to use the sounds in ways that won’t immediately make you think 80’s. For me it is a fun challenge to try and recontextualize a classic sounding synth into more modern music. That being said, it really is the best sounding synth I’ve ever played.

5 Likes

Glad to hear it :slight_smile:

For once, no processing done on the synth tracks, actually. It’s all recorded straight into the Blackbox and then summed and mixed in the SSL SiX. Which, in itself, adds its flavour, of course.

1 Like

I wonder how many here would still not get the 10 if money wasn’t an issue… ?
the answer to that question is the answer to which one to get imho

My P10 arrived a few days ago and I finally got around to recording something with it today. Two tracks, a poly part and a mono lead overdubbed after. excuse the aimless noodling and occasional bunk note, I was just hypnotized by the beauty of the sound.

4 Likes

I could have afforded the P10 but P5 was the choice I made. I really liked the way Sequential worked with the limits that made that synth so good and classic in the first place. Although possibly the P10 could have been more so had it not broke so much and been so big, from what I understand. It can be a big sounding synth so the P10 for me seemed to much for my taste. Also i really like the sound of notes cancelling out although it’s less noticeable than i thought it might be.

I’m definitely not someone who goes for more, I’d happily pay more for less, something that is lacking in many areas these days i feel as we make things more efficient, and base value on flexibility and more features. I like less features,
less flexibility and would pay for it if needed.

Not sure if this is helpful

1 Like

well I can’t say I’m “not someone who goes for more” (sitting in a room full of synths) but I do like poly synths to be reasonably simple. and that’s part of what I love about the P5, and why I doubt I’ll ever buy a Moog One. it’s just too many options. I’m fine with that for modular or a mono synth, but with poly synths I think the voicing adds enough to the sound that you don’t need ridiculous levels of modulation. …especially if you’re adding a complicated sounding mono or modular sound overtop :rofl:

but I mean even with the REV2 - which is a reasonably “deep” synth - the patches I write are quite simple. and basically just make it sound broken (in a BoC type of way). so I dunno… maybe I’d buy a Moog One and use like 10% of it to make it sound like it costs $500 instead of $8k.

3 Likes

but does the P10 really give you guys that vibe of being overly expansive like the Moog one, physically yes but in sound it seems as limited to me as the P5 with kind of an added safety net of voices… I’d probably go with the P5 if it gets those rumored possible updates?

P5 would be fine for me because I am likely to multitrack with other synths like my Matriarch, and I dislike overly cluttered/busy mixes.

Lyle Mays had a P5 in his rig w/ Pat Metheny Group for a while. I’m sure he understood release envelopes and all that and probably could have afforded a P10. But he already had a grand piano, Oberheim Four-Voice (later upgraded to 8 voices), Synclavier, etc. also onstage with him.

I decided I’d go with the Prophet 5 module if I decide to get one because the main reason I want one is due to my love of Hall & Oates, and they used a Prophet 5.

3 Likes

Whats the updates?

they’re vague but about possible added voices I think

2 Likes

Latest update in my neck of the world is a $700 price drop on the P10.

3 Likes

what’s your local?

Australia, but they haven’t arrived yet

ouch!!!

Here’s a track I did today where the P10 is used for everything, including drums

5 Likes

It occured to me, if I went insane and decided to do shell out for a 10-voice Prophet 5, I’m in Deckard’s Dream territory.

Now, that synth has a sound I’m not finding elsewhere.

Fortunately, I’m not insane.

Yet.

3 Likes

With your gifts as a composer and producer, I’m very much ok with you going crazy. I mean getting the Deckard’s or P10 - whichever one.

My only concern would be the customer support regarding Black Corporation, just because I’m not familiar with theirs, vs. Sequential.

2 Likes

The Deckard’s does have a really amazing sound, but it’s a lot more limited in the sounds it can create. I don’t think I could create a whole track with just that one synth. If I was forced to have only one analog poly it would be the Prophet, because it has “the sound”, but is a lot more flexible, much more of a workhorse synth.

2 Likes