Sequential resumes Prophet-5

This is a very good point. I love the fact that the P6 and OB-6 have discrete circuits with separate voice cards. I know in the end it is all about the sound, but the fact that Dave did this in this day and age is pretty awesome. On the other hand, when you open a P5, it is not that sexy. Again, it is all under the hood stuff, just gear heads talking about engines, and so it shouldn’t be seen as some ultimate judgement of either synth. But still pretty cool to me the way the P6 and OB-6 were built.

1 Like

but it’s missing something important (to me): noise as a modulation source.

it’s for sure a tough choice. hell I’m still struggling with whether to keep the Rev2 in addition to the P5. first world choices, right…? :rofl:

one aspect that may help is the P6 would be better if you have limited effect and sequencing options. or if you plan to gig with it. whereas the P5 would be better as a purely studio piece if you’ve got good sequencing/effect options. if you’re sequencing with an OT, for example, you’ve got a great arp and sequencer. and some great effects, for that matter.

3 Likes

If I got a P-6 or P-5 or OB-6, there’s no way I could give up my Rev2. Too many additional things it can do. I have to say though that I’m an absolute sucker for state variable filters. I do see an OB-6 desktop above my Rev2 at some point. Sizzle-bubbly-ping.

4 Likes

See, they got us. We have to own the whole set. Some of them are Wednesday synths, some of them are Saturday at the club synths. But they are all classics.

5 Likes

This is particularly funny because my wife has Etta James on, “Sunday Kind of Love”

:smiley:

1 Like

Great tune!

Well, I’m set on the P5 now, after a weekend’s doubt. And it’ll be the module. The keyboard’s price tag is too much for me, so in the end, some practical consideration also came into play. Tho it had to struggle to get its voice heard :blush:

4 Likes

Nice, the 5 and the 12 should get along nicely!

2 Likes

The random LFO at max frequency becomes a noise source on the P6, admittedly at the expense of the LFO.

Dude that is the sequential way. Each piece compliments each other. Part of me regrets not getting a tempest and a poly evolver

3 Likes

great post, thank you

Right.

I caved.

You all knew I would, wouldn’t you?

Sorry @cold_fashioned - I’ll make it up to you somehow.

17 Likes

Very nice tune. You don’t owe me a thing as long as you keep making this music. Did you go full-on with the keys, or keep it slim with the module? My synth tokens are probably safe for now, as I go through the periodic existential crisis of “Do I have too much gear?”. I’m excited about your new Sequential. Who knows, maybe after some explorations with the current setup, there will be a shakeup in the fall.

1 Like

Never doubted for a second, my friend.

Very nice debut for the P5. I’ve no doubt it and P12 will sing many a fine duet for you in the coming days.

3 Likes

Hey, thanks :blush: module only, I got the MFG Extra Deluxe board when I need the keys.

@GovernorSilver thank you :blush: yep, I do believe they’ll get along very nicely together. Very different synths, even for being within the Sequential realm.

1 Like

I had the Prophet 6 for some time, and still play it regularly (got mates who own one as well). I actually think the difference isn’t all that subtle. I can totally see why one would prefer one over the other, though you can’t go wrong with either. But the 5 seems to me have just that extra spice that I felt I was sometimes missing in the 6. Somehow, it always took me ages to finish something with the 6.

1 Like

Hi there,
here’s a demo of the Prophet 5 Module version. As always, the focus is more on Ambient, Techno, and Electronica Patches, so please don’t be too mad at me because I didn’t try to recreate the iconic Brass sounds this thing is famous for. Well, at least one brass sound can be found…

14 Likes

lovely.
Congrats on your purchase!
I’m not jealous at all :wink:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

It’s a piece of crap synth. No need to be jealous. I hate it already.

:kissing:

3 Likes

I thought so. All expensive synths are crap fortunately

4 Likes