Sequential resumes Prophet-5

Yeah, if I had the P6, I wouldn’t be able to justify both. Even if one played with Jamiroquai and had the money, it would still feel a bit filthy :blush:

2 Likes

I think Matt Johnson said he was keeping his P6 for touring, despite his new P10

Can understand why one wouldn’t want to take the 10voice touring. But also find that onboard effects often become part of the patch/sound design process. So having it all built-in makes more sense for performance/touring.

Get the impression this is Dave crossing the P5 off his bucket list. Maybe they’ll make a rev5 with all the bells & whistles similar to the moog one in the future.

1 Like

this is kind of what I alluded to above. in the studio, with all kinds of effects options around you, tweak the P5/10 and the effects to get it absolutely perfect for the recording. touring: all in one package of P6 with effects gets you close enough to the recording to recreate in a live setting.

and indeed, part of why I love the P5 is I don’t use the built-in effects as a crutch and I’m forced to use better effects with it, and use them more tastefully. lots of times I play it without effects because it sounds great already, instead of just toggling them on “just because I can, and they’re right there” sort of thing.

obviously most people can’t own both. so whether/not you’re doing studio or live more often, and if you have/don’t have/don’t want to carry around a lot of effects… all of these could help decide the P5/P6 dilemma.

or if you want the P5/6 sound but with more modulation: Rev2.

1 Like

Here’s where it’s at in my current rig -

9 Likes

I’m wondering whether this partially relates to mono vs stereo? To me, it sometimes feels like mono sounds feel physically closer, and thereby more intimate. (At least on the Matriarch, which, depending on the patching, can be anywhere between “very mono” and “immensely stereo”).

Speaking of several synths and filthy, one Mr Shoebridge has decided to be “anti P10” and is going for two P6 in “poly chain” configuration and then 12 voices instead of one P10. :joy:

1 Like

Anarchy in the UK! :rofl:

Absolutely beautiful! What’s the stand for P12? I’ve been looking for something like that for a long time (well, two months).

It’s kinda funny I keep watching the Matt Johnson YT video where he talks about he prefers the character of the ob6 over the P6.

Eventually (if I’m man enough) I would like to swap out my ob6 module for a prophet 5 module

Right now my DSI collection consists of
Tempest
P12 module
OB6 module

I got no Jamiroquai gigs booked though so I’m free to try whatever :slight_smile:

@circuitghost I’m curious what made you circuit ghost your ob6?

1 Like

You know, I realise I’m gonna get shot for saying this, but I never got much out of it that I liked. Playing it, I loved. Working with it, god yes. But the stuff I recorded from it was alwyas “Uhm, I don’t know …”

It just sounded too good for me. I always wanted to just filth it down, and first, that seemed pointless. Why get a top notch hi fi synth if all you wanna do is bring the dirt to it? Also, a synth of this character shouldn’t be processed all that much just to get me to like it.

I kept it for more than a year, thinking it’s me, I just gotta wrap my head around it. I still think that, with the difference that I just don’t have it anymore :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m sure that’s part if it. But the filter makes a big difference, and again, there’s something going on with the voice stealing that just feels different to me. It’s not as subtle as the Prophet 12 can be, though, and certainly not as haunting as that one. I’m actually struggling to get the two to work together, but I enjoy the fight :slight_smile:

Shoebridge’s is one of my favourites. I get the feeling, he’s not being sent much gear by devs, despite his popularity. No wonder, if that’s the case. His opinions are very honest, it’s much thank to him I passed on the Prophet X.

@korpinen thank you :slight_smile: I bought the stand locally here in a DJ shop. It’s called Magma. No idea if it’s a brand found elsewhere. As far as quality goes, it’s great. I don’t much like the look of it, but I’m OCD when it comes to these things.

1 Like

As I said, I, at least perceived a difference in sonic character between the two when I tried them in the same room.

I honestly expected the two to sound much more alike. Hence my surprise.

I wasn’t sure what was more important to the person asking the question - having a sound close as possible to his P6, or did he mean something else as far as "something to add. More modulation was just one guess. Maybe he really wants an FM synth or wavetable instead?

1 Like

Ok, but is there really something about your P6 that is not satisfying you?

Or are you just having a GAS moment? Seems to happen to us all, so nothing wrong with that.

2 Likes

sure. yeah I was just saying we’re spoiled with options in the “Prophet” type of sound. it just depends on what priorities and budget you have.

3 Likes

This is great.

just GAS haha no worries

2 Likes

wow i’m actually surprised its that big! (the P5)

1 Like