Sequential resumes Prophet-5

It’s really open to experimentation for what you want to put in the signal chain. Starting from a mono signal really opens up options before having a reverb at the end that outputs a stereo signal. I say keep it mono until you need it to go stereo. I mean, if you have a prophet 5, it’s going to be hard to sound bad. Right?

4 Likes

I use my microcosm, BAM, and ultrasheer all with the p5 mono to stereo with no issues and excellent results

1 Like

Fun with P5 and Torso T-1

2 Likes

any of you guys went with a p5/10 board but then wished you’d gone desktop module instead or there way around from module first and then wished you’d gone with the keyboard versions.

1 Like

Q: Desktop or Keyboard?

A: Yes

3 Likes

quite… and yet still

1 Like

Yes. I went for the module. Wish I would’ve gone for the keyboard.

Future me will go for the keyboard, and then wonder why the hell I traded it for the module, which was so much more convenient back in the days when I had it.

1 Like

yeah I was planning on going the module route +the deluxe board but something about the cohesiveness of the keyboard version got me

1 Like

That’s exactly my setup now. And it works really well.

But it doesn’t compare. Module + great keybed is one thing, a solid experience, but functional.

An integrated keyboard, that’s just playing, going with the flow, in an entirely different way.

However, as much as I can appreciate a top notch Sequential board, no synth beats for me the experience of a great piano. So I don’t so much prioritise keyboards these days, because I don’t approach electronic music the way I approach the piano.

1 Like

all my synths hit a patchbay first. I patch pedals from that as needed. I don’t like the pedalboard approach because the routing is hard-wired and I end up re-patching all the time anyway. might as well just go into it expecting to do that…

1 Like

so anybody install the voice expansion card yet, how simple was it to do?

sounds great!

1 Like

https://youtu.be/QKU4BiorN-A

I’m really curious if anything played here could only be played on the 10. Is there anything here that the 5 wouldn’t have been able to handle? I am in love with this whole demo but would like it if I could get the 5 and save some money.

One option is to go ahead and get the 5 now, then buy the voice expansion card to make it a 10 later, if you find you really need it.

1 Like

Oh great idea! Is it difficult to install the voice expansion? is that something where I would need to send in the synth to have it done?

I guess then the only difference would be the 10 has stack/split and the 5 doesn’t?

Edit: Ok I read now that once it’s upgraded to 10 voice the new OS would also allow for stacking and splitting. Awesome!!

I think nobody answered captain8’s question, which is the same as yours, because, well nobody has done it yet.

You can judge for yourself:

As for me, if I get a P5, then get the voice card, I’ll probably talk my local synth enthusiast/retired engineer friend into throwing a party where we’ll watch him install the card on my P5. He repaired my Lyra-8 after I broke the on-off switch on it, and fixed his own Memorymoog which required major surgery.

3 Likes

I’m planning on just taking my p5 over to LAX and have the TSA agents install the upgrade if I end up getting it.

3 Likes

I like my party idea because it’s a fun group to hang and drink with.

But I wont judge if your idea of a good time is to hang with TSA agents

1 Like

lol, if push came to shove I’m sure I’d rather have your synth buddy do it :smile:

To me, putting the card in doesn’t look much harder than adding RAM memory to my old computer - but DIY is not as much fun as jamming on synths with friends and having good beers - after the job is done of course. Alright, I’m out for today - my post count on this thread is excessive as it is. Too many posts means I’m spending too much time on BS and not enough time on music.