Sequential resumes Prophet-5

I’m fine with diy computer builds/repairs etc… but for some reason just thinking about opening up instruments gives me the heebeegeebees, I don’t even like the thought of synth techs doing it, but I had to ask about the process because if it looked like too much going on then I wouldn’t even let anyone but sequential do it…

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. When the P5 launched and had those 2 extra resistors, or whatever mistake happened there on the circuit board, Sequential was good just shipping new boards out to people to replace themselves if they wanted. And that was a little more involved than just putting an expansion board on. There really isn’t much going on inside the P5. It’s. not like an old synth with wires everywhere and voice cards, etc. They wouldn’t offer something as a consumer upgrade if they were worried people would really mess it up.

1 Like

yeah, that board install looks pretty safe. just don’t over tighten the screws or mash the pins, and you should be fine.

1 Like

this. it’s basically the voice board and a board for the pots, connected with some ribbon cables. it’s actually kind of underwhelming when you open it. the expansion board looks quite easy to install. I get being afraid to open and modify a $3500 synth but as long as you can handle a screwdriver, you should be fine.

in short: Sequential has faith in you, you should too!

1 Like

any of you guys use Sound Tower or other Editor with your prophets?

hmm basically $69 bucks for stand alone editor, or VST, and $99 for both.
fine print says that you cannot unregister the product, that you are registered for life so I’m assuming it couldn’t be sold on if you didn’t want it.

Traded my super 6 udo for a prophet 5 today. Very happy with the trade. The udo is great, but the prophet 5 feels alive in a way I’ve never experienced with other synths. It’s incredible, limitations and all.

Can’t wait to expand it to a 10 voice and update the OS.

7 Likes

feel exactly the same :slight_smile:

did you go with the keyboard or module?

I traded it for the keyboard. I would’ve been happy with a module too, but the keyboard really is beautiful. I’m not even a keys player!

2 Likes

Nice, I’m not a ‘player’ either but it’s a wonderful instrument. I’m always hurried with everything else but the p5 just slows me down and draws me in

2 Likes

Yes! Could’ve have said it better myself.

The only problem i have with this is, I would then have a 10 voice synth with the words Prophet 5 on top. Maybe its possible to scrape off the Prophet 5 lettering and repaint it. Just wouldn’t like to attempt that.

Here’s a track I did using my new Prophet 10… I also changed my YouTube name and started a new account for basically no reason but to have a fresh start.

I am not a “keyboard player” but it sound sooooo very good. I tried to do a relatively modern take on the music I make but using this ancient and perfected synth.

I got an open box P10D at $2,600 or so during some random warehouse clearance sale at Musician’s Friend.

5 Likes

Whoa. You won. Great tune, nice mixing.

2 Likes

Nice work!

1 Like

The P5 Desktop is $2499 at some stores, while still $2599 at others

P10 Desktop - $3299 at some stores on Reverb vs $3300

This is mildly irrelevant to the Prophet 5/10 but it’s where I got it. Direct link to the keys/synths clearance section :

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/warehouse-clearance-sale?N=500271#plpResultsGrid

You have to sign up to see the extra discount in cart. I also had points from previous purchases here so I didn’t have to pay any tax…

you could put a piece of tape or sticky note with a little x2 after the 5. the bright glowing red P12 on the prophet 12 module (and keyboard, i guess) always makes me laugh when turning it on. it’s like ground effects or something.

1 Like

yeah I kept wondering if they would include a new badge when you buy the voice card. I’m sure there’s enough desire for it… and I’m sure people wouldn’t mind having a spare P5 badge to do something fun with.

I also kind of oddly love the idea of a P10 with a P5 badge on it.