Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

Oh for sure, I know the keybed and pots are much nicer than the Minilogue (and Monologue), I used to have a Minilogue and it felt fine but not great, I only meant the panel flex. The FX do sound awesome. I would love to reduce my collection, but I don’t think I could bear to let any of these babies go :joy: Maybe if I sold off a bunch of the old Yamaha FM boards and toy synths I have in storage I could justify… Thanks for the input dude.

1 Like

this is the exact kind of demo I was waiting for. currently brainstorming a polysynth to befriend my matriarch. I still want the UDO Super 6 once they’re more available in the US, but I may pick this one up in the meantime. especially bc I’ve wanted a Sequential since moving to SF where they’re located.

3 Likes

I agree, I was very surprised by the effects. The chorus blew me away, the ring mod is very usable, the rotary speaker is great for stereo sounds. I love the delays, the distortion is much more useful than the rev2, and the reverb is actually pretty good. love having that hpf too. also better than the rev2 high pass effect

The Take-5 is hands down the best sounding synth in it’s price range. It’s not even close

1 Like

Kind of want one but seriously though…not into spending money on another synth

It’s in the Support section :

2 Likes

The Take 5 is a good foundational synth for beginners but also a fun and inspiring instrument for veterans. After playing and recording with the Take 5 synth for several weeks, I’ve concluded its a great instrument for both the studio and gigging. No, you can’t really put this synth in a backpack and haul it around (unless you’re Hercules) but it is much easier to transport than your Moog One or CS-80.

Although different in many many ways, I would compare the Take 5 synth to the Korg Prologue 8 in price, size, and inspiring sounds. They are different enough to own both but either synth would make an excellent addition to a studio. Few artistic pursuits pass the solitary hours more blissfully than the playing of an inspiring synth. The Take 5 is one of those synths.

6 Likes

Take 5 or Rev 2 desktop with 8 voice?

I think that is just going to come down to personal preference in sound. They definitely sound different.

2 Likes

Thanks! Oh, now I’m curious

1 Like

For the same price- what would y’all rather have: take 5 or a rev2 16 voice keyboard?

Take 5. For me, I love the sound much more than the Rev2

I prefer the sound of the rev 2 but don’t see them as comparable instruments so maybe getting both is not a bad option, but whatever you do do not go into a store with a take 5 and a p5 right next to each other expecting to buy a take 5, I do believe the take 5 will come down in price to about $999 and I’m interested in it at that price as well.

I never liked the sound of dsi, except p5, and now t5. In your case,if you like rev2 sound, buy rev 2.simple.

1 Like

If you haven’t seen Jexus’s review of the REV2 I’d recommend you read it on his website. When it comes to what I hear from the take 5 it is more along the prophet in a classic sense while the REV2 is more versatile in it’s timbre’s, or at least it seems like it is, and that was Jexus’s general view. But if you want that classic analog tone of a P5 then the REV2, though it can, really isn’t just that straight up. i’ve been looking more into DSI’s as I was really GAS’ing hard for the OB-6, but for now it’s just too expensive for me.

this is prob the best I’ve ever heard the take 5

review

I agree about the overdrive, not overly fond of the sound of that and a few other niggles but I can see the take 5 growing on the populace espeically if they come down on the price a bit

4 Likes

Loving mine! A couple of hrs getting to know it and I’m hooked. So immediate in terms of sound and programmability.

I’ve been on the fence about getting a Tetra to add to my X4 for a while, would love the added polyphony and the option of four mono analogs to use for drum tones, all controlled by my OT. I ended up taking some advice from Midera on YouTube and got a drum machine instead (Rytm MKI), so now the appeal is slightly less. Especially since they’ve gone up $200 on the used market in the last couple of years.

It’s such a difficult call, whether it’s worth $600 to turn my X4 into an 8 voice, when the X4/Tetra lack effects and the Take5 used would probably be sub-$1000. What’re your thoughts?

Hm, well with OT you can add effects and the four track polyphony on the midi sequences matches well with x4+Tetra, but for me it would mostly come down to the sounds they make. From what I’ve heard, Mopho/Tetra seems to be more aggressive and rough sounding and Take 5 seems to get into sweeter territories which Mopho does not excel at imo.

I would guess the T5’s built in effects might outshine OT’s, and my point about 4 note polyphony on the midi tracks is probably unimportant, my brain just likes connecting those things.

Take 5 looks like a great synth (overall, not commenting specifically on its aesthetics) and I would bet the keyboard feels nicer than Mopho’s. I have had the Mopho x4 + Tetra combo for nearly ten years and am not so attached to the sound that I would swap it for something different. Take 5 seems like a great replacement that would make the setup more compact, but maybe you love that Mopho/P08 sound and would like a portable desktop unit to take with you on occasion

You are definitely right about the aggressiveness of the X4, and that is indeed something that has been an issue for me; I’d like something that is a little softer, like an Oberheim (maybe some version of the Matrix).

I wasn’t sure if the Take 5 had that same “aggressive” sound that is found on the X4 and the Rev2; if not, then perhaps it would be a better fit for me.

I sold a lot of synths and really don’t need many anymore. I sample soft synths a lot and have a mono Moog, but I still find myself reaching to quickly make a poly sound and currently don’t have anything.

The Take5 is on my extremely short list. I love how rich the Prophet sound gets for pads and chords. Plus the modulation is very deep, which really is where you can take a simple bread and butter sound and make it your own. I love the small form, fatar keyboard, and price point.

I think this is a perfect synth to have in a studio and just master over time. To my ears it is very versatile. Also being able to sit down and play the keys while having a patching session is blissful with the right synth.

Also prefer that this filter res does not impact the low end as much as the traditional prophets. Some people like that, but personally it always bothered me. I prefer this filter to the Prophet 6’s.

2 Likes