Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

He reminds me of Joey from the tv show Bread.

1 Like

I think there’s a lot of folks who think they’re gonna get a Prophet for a third of the price with the T5. I guess the various YouTube comparison vids play to this audience. I’ve got a T5 and it sounds fab but I’m under no illusion, it’s not a Prophet, just a good synth in its own right. Most of the vids I’ve seen have come to the same conclusion.

3 Likes

I think a lot of the vids show that it has a lot of characteristics of the Prophet while also being it’s own thing. I have owned a few Prophets and usually was like “I like this synth, but I don’t 2000 plus dollars like it” so after a lot of sampling and studio time sold them off.

A Prophet is really an awesome studio staple synth to have around, and the Take 5 is in that same vein. Meaning you can use it for a ton of different sounds and vibes. It is an awesome option as a go to poly.

My opinion is with analogue becoming a lot more affordable, it is tougher and tougher for me to justify spending over $2k on a synth. Not hating on people who do, I just don’t value the difference as much. Especially when there are synths like the Take5, that sound fantastic and have that same versatility as the Prophet does.

2 Likes

I guess for many people the question is, “given limited space and money, what can I use X for?” I’m in that camp myself: it’s not whether I can somehow get a “Prophet” for 1/3 the price, but whether I can apply the T5 to most of the use cases I would have for a Prophet. So the comparisons are helpful in that sense–while recognizing that of course the actual Prophet is its own beast with its own unique sound.

2 Likes

It’s a Frequently Asked Question and this Starsky fellow is trying to take advantage of this by making this video, so that he can get more views on his channel, and hopefully extract a new subscription or two out of those.

I like Starsky Carr’s videos. I always learn something from them. The majority of his videos are comparison videos so he hasn’t jumped on the bandwagon by comparing them, because that’s his thing.

4 Likes

eh, maybe… i appreciated his spectrum analysis to show differences. some youtube reviewers are obnoxious. his presentation didn’t offend me, despite the reminder to “like and subscribe.” i get it.

there’s been a lot of discussion here comparing it to the p5, so this video seemed like a good coda to that line of inquiry.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed Starsky’s videos as well. Nothing wrong with keeping in touch with what peeps wanna see on Youtube and meeting those needs as a content producer.

haha… also, a take 5 has been sitting in my perfect circuit shopping cart for like a month or whatever, just staring at me, daring me to push the checkout button every day. not sure this is helping.

1 Like

Perfect Circuit will probably have a 10% off Halloween sale coming soon, so maybe you can feel better if you wait like one more week.

i’ll try. there’s a list of stuff that doesn’t apply for discount codes. sequential is on the list now. we’ll see about holiday sales.

edit: restriction details for coupon codes are here:

https://help.perfectcircuit.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405335250071-Why-isn-t-my-coupon-working-

1 Like

Sequential are sending me a new main board for my Take 5. No complains on the customer service front but that’s normal, I’ve always had good experiences dealing with them.

Torn between the Take5 or Prologue16 for primarily Trance/Progressive House. I already have the Pro3. Prologue being Bi-timbral and also unison of 16 voices. Take5 having more modulation options.

1 Like

To me this is THE synth to get if you want a high quality analogue poly but aren’t a hardcore synth guy and don’t need a bunch of synths in your studio.

It basically does everything I need from a poly synth.

Honestly, I barely even use the effects. Not that they suck, I just love the pure sound out of this thing.

8 Likes

Finally had a chance to play it in person and I’m sad to say I wasn’t too impressed. I’ve liked more and more of the demos that have been coming out, but in person it just wasn’t it for me. I also played a Polybrute, whose demos have left me extremely unimpressed, and I came out absolutely loving it. Kind of blew me away.

Maybe I’ll give each of them a little more time playing and see how my feelings develop.

I’ve been there, am still there… there’s a lot to like about the take 5 but it forced me to get a p5. I agree with Bassesandpads it’s the one to get if…

1 Like

Played the p5, too. It’s insane. Maybe one day.

1 Like

Is there any quick comparison you can give between the T5 and Rev2, sound and feature-wise?

So my replacement board should be here on Tuesday. Hoping that’s the usb issue sorted. As far as the rest of the instrument goes I’m really happy. It’s deffo a keeper for me.

I was playing about last night, programming a sequence and playing along to it using the spare voices. Hours of fun!