Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

It is surely to cover the costs of transportation.

Everything is getting more expensive so there’s that… :thinking:

sweetwater and other places have had the MSRP listed like so, even before the sale price jumped $200.

price

It looks like that sale price is the same as they’ve always been this side of the pond. Cheapest I think I saw when I picked mine up was £1045. The average was about £1095. That equates to around $1499 in dollars. It seems you guys may have been getting a reduction we didn’t see over here? I can’t remember anywhere listing them sub £1k but that’s not to say there wasn’t.

I’ve heard news radio stories about how bad inflation is here in the US, so I’m not surprised by the increase in price. I’m surprised by the amount and how sudden it was. The thing more or less just came out.

Having said that though - in the US, we could see some Black Friday sales at the end of this month

very briefly after announcement, it was in my cart at $1299 with 10% off, but then they put sequential on the no coupon list. i should’ve just pulled the trigger then.

To be honest, 1299 is the upper limit for what I think this synth is worth. Keep in mind a Korg Prologue 16 voice is 1599 (8 voice 1099), REV2 module is 1399, and the Novation Peak is 1399. As someone who has played all of these, in my extremely humble opinion I would recommend them over the Take 5 at this price. I think most comparable would be the Novation Peak, and I think you get a lot more from that for 100 dollars cheaper.

2 Likes

I actually disagree. I’m going to spend some more time soon playing the Take 5, so I’ll see if anything changes, but from the time I’ve had with it so far it really was most accurately priced at 1299. If you’re trying to buy something under 2000 dollars you have so many options that, in my opinion (and this is all subjective any way), are much more valuable and sound a lot better. The Novation Summit, for one, can be found for under 2000 dollars pretty easily.

I’m also aware that the REV2 is weirdly unpopular, but I actually feel that the Take 5 and REV2 suffer from the same problems. It’s very easy to get stuck in the mud with them, losing all clarity of the sound. But still, if I had to choose one, I think the REV2 is a nicer package overall, even if it’s a little unfashionable. Of course, at 1299, grabbing the Take 5 over the REV2 makes a lot of sense, to me.

So, I don’t know! I’m really surprised and disappointed by the price increase and I kind of doubt that it has much to do with supply chain issues since that has been issue for a while now and we haven’t seen price increases anywhere else.

1 Like

i loved the rev2, but its a very limited sound. i love the brassy core sound, but thats the only sound it does. Take 5 has a much wider timbral range with the sine waves, much more usable fm, overdrive, much better filter with a wider range of “sweet spots”, and arguably better mod options (minus a few very basic lfos that the rev2 has). i do wish take 5 had the looping env 3, but i cant really ask for more. it’s an unreal synth. so far, its only people who havent played this synth that have been saying the peak or the rev2 compare. im telling you, they do not. if you’re saying you have one, i urge you to learn how fm is properly implemented, take some time deep in the mod matrix trying things out like subtly modulation fine pitch with noise and things like that, using envelopes to animate the shape of the hard sync’d oscillators, using the voice spread to modulate other mod slots, using envelopes to increase the depth of osc2 fm mod slots. i spent a lot of time with the rev2. i wanted it to work, i really liked it, and got some good patches from it, but it is nowhere near as versatile and just beautiful sounding as this synth.

i appreciate the peak’s sound design options but anyone paying that much for a double-peaks should seriously consider at least trying the Take-5. the sound of those novation synths dont even touch this. its a very weak sounding synth that is painful to program and just sounds frail and blown out. there are definitely things i like about it, but i dont see anyone actually using that to make music with. aside from “summit only” ambient youtube videos

i respect your opinion, so im not trying to say “you’re wrong”, but i’m trying to stress the importance of this thing so that more people might give it a chance, because i was skeptical and first and i am so glad i sold my peak (which i sold my rev2 for) to buy the Take-5. there is truly nothing like it. all of the pros and cons you get with “which $2000 synth should i buy” are all blown away by this one now. i’m kind of shocked that they introduced something that brings all of these aspects to one synth. usually you only get a few good things that you have to weigh against, between the prologue and the novations and the prophet 8, but nothing beats this thing. so i want to stress that.

buy the take-5, everybody. it’s well worth the raised price. i would have gladly paid $2000

2 Likes

I made some cool stuff with it. I actually uploaded almost every single patch I made with it in that thread if you wanna take a peek. Miraculously, I’ve managed to make even better sounds with the Take-5. Weird how that works, it’s almost as if some synths are subjectively better than others

I don’t understand why you have such a problem with my opinion

I go back and forth so much with my Summit. I loved it at first, then got frustrated with sound design and with what feels like a fairly limited sound palette. I listed it for sale, then withdrew it. Now I’m considering selling it and investing in a P5. For me, the T5 isn’t an ideal replacement because I do want a more substantial keyboard.

I recently got a Hydrasynth desktop, and I was frankly shocked by how similar a lot of the patches on the Hydra are to the Summit’s–and in some cases, how I preferred the Hydra. Then again, I don’t think I’m maximizing the Summit’s capabilities, in part because I find it awfully complex to program. For some users, I bet that’s a pro–for me it’s a con, which is why a simpler synth like a Prophet may be a better choice.

1 Like

I’d like to hear how more people feel going from the hydra, rev2, peak, prologue to the t5. For me, it’s such a massive relief to find such a good synth because I’ve spent so much time compromising with synths I didn’t really like, or trying to force myself to like the ones I felt weren’t very great. So it feels good to finally have this as an option

I am considering getting an explorer though maybe to have alongside the t5. I used to have the original hydra and I liked it a lot, it just didn’t work for me as my only polysynth

1 Like

I love the Peak. Hated the Prologue. I’m meh on my Rev2. I adore the fuck outta the T5. Never tried Hydra.

On another note, glad I moved on my T5 when I did. I actually spent more in the last 3 months snatching up stuff bc the shortage/inflation problem will persist throughout 22.

Sucks re: price increase happening so early on with no warning, but it is what it is.

1 Like

Because as someone who has owned the Peak, and now the Summit, since release, and uses it literally every morning and evening, it is legitimately bizarre to hear you say this:

It’s just not true. I really think yours had some sort of issue because your opinion is extremely strange otherwise. I can try some of your patches and see what I think. I’ve listened to a lot of demos of the T5 and yeah it sounds really really nice but I don’t think it’s on the same level as the Summit, especially for pads and high-gain type patches. I think the Peak also has a major edge on the T5 for any high-register sounds. It does sound different though, and I really like it, so yeah I’m glad you’re enjoying yours of course. I would like one too but I just don’t have room for any more keyboards without ditching something else, there are already 4 boards I really like that stay in the closet on shelves and have to be swapped in.

1 Like

This sounds like a sales pitch from the 80s

Pardon my phrasing. “Id have paid $2000”. It’s worth more than a summit or rev 2 16 voice to me

I’ll try to come up with a more hip way to say that in the future

@Hawk I don’t mean to personally offend you with my thoughts on the synth. It’s not awful, I was just disappointed. I should have expected it to sound the way it did. I knew it was fpga and I never liked the demos I heard on YouTube but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. I was impressed by certain very plucky sounds with the sharp analog lpf for organic percussive sounds and some of the cool fm for more piano-like patches. Even the filter and the fm implementation on this synth is much more malleable and capable of producing satisfying results. but what I’m trying to stress with all this is that I have been searching for a a long time, reading pros and cons & “this synth vs that synth” threads and watching videos and buying and selling every synth under $2000 and it’s like sequential answered my prayers here.

I don’t think enough people realize this. And although I’m clearly not articulate enough to illustrate why everyone should give it a shot, I can at least say from my experience, coming in with an open mind and really trying to like these other synths, it was effortless for me to fall in love with this one. I have no doubt that in a year or two, once more people get their hands on it and someone like stimming, jexus, loopop, rmr or bonedo demo’s it, everyone will agree that it is without question the best synth available within a certain price range. It’s an exciting thing in my eyes, to have access to something like this. I had almost lost hope there. Amazing times we live in, with access to instruments like this

What are you basing this opinion on? I’ve owned both of these synths for quite some time. I know people have different tastes but I can’t imagine you’d come away saying the sound is even in the same league if you’ve sat down with both

To clarify: by “frail”, I mean it’s core osc sound is brittle and weak to me. Very thin like a microfreak/plaits and gets very muddled when adding harmonics or blending multiple oscillators in my opinion. By “painful to program”, I mean paging with buttons then going back to the encoders and top buttons to get to lfos, going in and modulating envelopes with themselves to get snappier exponential shapes, I can’t remember exactly what I didn’t like about patching on it but even ergonomically or in a tactile way, it literally didn’t feel good to program in my opinion. By contrast, the take-5 is not only immediately gorgeous and thick and modern sounding while capable of sounding huge and warm, but it’s also able to produce clean cold sharp timbres in addition to woozy gritty warbly syrupy patches. I’ve heard people do similar things with the peak, but there is a massive difference in sound quality to me. The sequential also just feels very good. the layout is intuitive, minimal menu diving with plenty of options, I love the knobs, I love the keyboard, I love the filter I love not using faders for envelopes or digging for hidden lfos. It’s like night and day to me, that’s the only reason I’m comparing the two. Because I know these are the synths people consider in the price range. One thing that is similar is that it’s irritating to name presets on both, but that’s an inconsequential nitpick

2 Likes

but i dont see anyone actually using that to make music with.

I did a full album with Peak on each track. Peak fucking rules.

1 Like

haha… i just unboxed this thing, and trying to imagine someone casually playing this on the couch is hilarious. it’s not huge but is definitely chonky. it’s also not light.

5 Likes

congrats, I know you’ve been looking forward to this!

3 Likes