Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

A subtle flanger with a very low Time, slightly modulated with a slow lfo acts as a beautiful and convincing tape emulation in the style of the strymon deco. The hpf is much more useful than one would think, for a digital effect. The rotary speaker is great for erratic stereo shifting. That one is obvious, but in a similar way to the flanger, ring mod, and distortion, they are so much more useful than their names imply. I sometimes use distortion as a sort of eq “enhancer” without much distortion at all.

It’s been a while since I used the delays, but I remember getting some wild time based modulation effects from the “delay”. And I recall a nice character from Tape2, whatever that one is supposed to be

This sounds gorgeous

Are you using external fx on the lead there? I love the mix. Very nice

1 Like

Thanks, yeah. I recorded the Take 5 into my audio interface mono and used Valhalla reverb, delay, and a bit of saturation in the DAW, plus a tape plug-in on the master bus. Both the Take 5 and Grandmother were recorded in live, no sequencing, and I layered a couple tracks of each. I actually came up with the Grandmother parts first, and then came back the next day and put down the Take 5 parts. I went for the Linn Drum as I was thinking John Carpenter.

1 Like

I wish there were a desktop version of this for like 800 bucks.

8 Likes

I learned something interesting today. You can overwrite the factory library with the user bank if you want. Those sounds are then locked, but you could use it to free up all those spaces if you don’t use the factory sounds much.

I think Sequential has the T5 factory library on their website, so you could for instance use the Soundtower librarian to make a custom factory library. I’ll probably just wait for the new firmware with the extra banks to drop, but may end up eventually doing this anyway, as there are quite a few factory patches I don’t need, and I may eventually want to purchase more soundpacks if anything interesting drops.

1 Like

isn’t there new fw out already? i am pretty shure the latest firmware i installed gives you some cool new functionality, ( like alt tuning saved per patch, loopable env etc.) amongst them also more user preset slots…

This is honestly the only way that I like to use the distortion. I think it sounds flat-out bad if cranked on poly patches.

My understanding is that the "new firmware” isn’t officially released, it’s still in beta. Did that change?

2 Likes

A desktop version would be genius. I think the price is already pretty low compared to other synths for how good it is. Like if it were housed in the same enclosure as the prophet 6, I think people would see it as on par with something like the trigon or the ob6 but with more flexible sound design functionality

But $800 does seem reasonable in the grand scheme of things. Im kind of interested in seeing what behringer’s new digital synth development produces and now that they know how to engineer something like a Pro-800, if they could combine those two ideas for a ultra innovative granular physical modeling synth hybrid with a super rich sequential prophet-like vco core. Which would then actually warrant the kind of prices we already see for new synths. Except I don’t know if I trust Behringer to actually make them very high quality

I think a desktop version would cost 1050 euro at first and later around 950.

since we are all wishing on a star I think the desktop will be 599 :slight_smile: and I’ll have two of those thank you very much

2 Likes

can’t say I wouldn’t be tempted, even though I’m a happy Prophet 5 desktop owner

So I contacted Sequential about known USB issues since I got a bit nervous with two people here reporting their USB boards getting fried or malfunctioning. Just so others can avoid incident, I’ll post the response here.

———

“I do not recommend connecting the Take 5 to a powered USB hub, but it’s fine to connect it to most types of computer. Apple has reliable voltage management on their USB ports, so you’ll be particularly safe there.

The danger is from powered hubs with cheap or incorrect-voltage PSUs. If a voltage spike is present at the USB port on the Take 5, the processor handling MIDI over USB could be damaged.

We do have strategies in place to help you out, if something unforeseen occurs.”

Also, in the follow up message they noted:

“ I tend to recommend using MIDI DIN for that reason. You can always connect something like the iConnectivity Mio to the hub and communicate with the synth over MIDI DIN. Since this also makes avoiding MIDI feedback loops easier, maybe that’s the best of both worlds.”

———

I use a lightning-powered hub on the front of my iMac, so I ordered a Mio, just to be safe as I want to eventually try some more advanced midi stuff, like experimenting with the Soundtower Plug-in version that lets you automate all the Take 5’s parameters in the DAW, seems like you could do some crazy evolving stuff with that.

FWIW, they said the Anker and Elektron hubs tend to be the most reliable.

Also, they said they have no ETA on the official firmware release, but that the beta is “reasonably stable now”.

4 Likes

Regarding the desktop version I’m gonna go out on a limb and go the other way. I’d love to see an SE version akin to the Pro 3 SE complete with hardwood accoutrements. The flip up panel shouldn’t be a problem either having looked inside the T5.

Somebody just posted this on GS a few hours ago. Looks nice! I wish the Japanese exchange rate was better.

It would be interesting if somebody came out with some knob replacement options and maybe a classy skin. Could be cool to customize the Take 5 a bit.

i like plastic look more, on this and on my little phatty.

3 Likes

my usb freezing mainboard issue happened with an elektron overhub. Just for info

2 Likes

Good to know. Mac or PC?

I got an iConnectivity Mio and will do all midi over DIN with it just to be safe. It cost me about $50, but seems like a good insurance policy.

Also, thanks for sharing your experience here. This would never have been on my radar without your post.

1 Like

Mac

1 Like

Same here, to me the Take 5 and Pro 3 have such modern-looking knobs/panels that they look weird with wood.

Wood suits the Pro 2 look pretty well but even there I find it slightly dissonant that this futuristic-sounding beast looks like a piece of 70s hi-fi. I’d gladly forgo wood on anything, to be honest. Bring on the aluminium and carbon fiber synth ends.

4 Likes

Look at this marvelous Plastic !

4 Likes

Did you ever get this working? I too am looking to buy a take 5 and sequencer will be an essential part. Just wondering before I do!