Serious confusion with offloading Kit/Patterns/Songs

Hey all.

So it’s my first time trying to offload kits and patterns I’ve made with SPS-1 UW MKII.
Have been wrestling with the manual for a while here and things don’t seem to be becoming much clearer.

So I’m in Sysex Send in the Global 1 Edit menu, and I have it set to selection “all”, with C6 set ready to receive on the other end. It starts sending the files (“sent 140/232 Messages”), C6 saying “Receiving 689092”…

It finishes with MD saying “Sent 232/232 Messages” and C6 saying “Receiving:778688”.

At this point there’s nothing happening, so I click “Stop Rec” and it presents me with the File Info “Normal Globals: 8 Kits: 64 Pattern: 128 Songs: 32, Broken Globals: 0 Kits: 0 Patterns: 0 Songs: 0”.

Not being sure what to do at this point, I click save and name the file “MDFiles.Syx” (760K).

First off, none of those attributes correlate to the number of kits/patterns/songs that i’ve saved on the MD. Is it saying that that is the
number of kit/pattern/song banks that it has attempted to retrieve data from? (I currently have 101 patterns saved, not 128…)

I’ve noticed that in the manual on page 61 it warns “On SPS-1UW/SPS-1UW MKII units the samples are not sent using all data sysex send. Please refer to sample manager on page 67”. I’m assuming this refers to ROM/RAM samples and not the preset machines?

After this point in the manual it seems to only deal with loading samples on to a specific place on the MD, Routing Issues, and doesn’t seem to address where the **** everything has gone after I’ve saved it as a syx file or c6 file in the program.

I see that in the configuration screen there is an option to recieve as a wav - where are they going to?

Apologies if this is all very basic stuff, but all I want is to be able to clear everything that i’ve done on the MD to a folder, then clear all my patterns and start jamming afresh with the ROM samples I’ve loaded on to the machine. I see that there is a SYX file here in the folder now, but what exactly do I do with that? I obviously want to catalogue the different sounds and kits I’ve worked on.

Any help here would be super appreciated! :frowning:

Selecting ‘ALL’ saves all the patterns, kits, and songs (even the blank ones) but not the User Waves (RAM/ROM samples) in one big .SYX file. All the patterns, kits, and songs are in that .SYX file that you saved to your computer. The ‘preset machines’ are not samples.

If you want separate backups of each pattern and kits, you need to save them separately to the computer by selecting ‘PAT+KIT’ etc instead of ‘ALL’.

If you want to also save the samples to your computer, you have to do that separately using the MD’s Sample Manager (see page 70 of the manual) and C6.