SERIOUS: Do You Like 80's Artists?

Unnoticed beauty: voice of Bauhaus and bass of Japan

4 Likes

More little known beauty:

1 Like

can’t really have this thread w/o kiling joke.

or TSOL (this album was my jam for a while back then)

also ya know… this jam… art house weirdos. gotta love’m

and being from miami this kinda stuff was all over… this track is all about the end for me… but 808 + bass synth is where it’s at.

donnie darko sound track playlist. lot’s of classic 80s jams.

valley girl sound track. all the jams.

4 Likes

Imo their best years were in the end of 90’s and forth, but this is sort of ultimate classic of dark side of the 80’s

6 Likes

How dare you! (insert Greta voice here) mention a band you listened to…

:snowflake: triggered much? :rofl: your hilarious

1 Like
1 Like

**you’re

lols. not triggered… just saying… that album has never ever gone away. it’s been played on the radio since it was released. it was kinda big. :wink:

“i listened to this underground band in the 80s… little band… you probably haven’t heard of them. they’re called Guns and Roses”

lols. just having fun… a bunch of the stuff in this thread was super popular one time or another and gets a 2nd or 3rd life thanks to a movie or someone covers it etc.

1 Like

The singles from Purple Rain still get played a lot, but the b-sides were brilliant as well.

3 Likes

Van Halen

1 Like

both my favorite albums of all times are from 80s.

some other great stuff:

4 Likes

Can someone with skill and patience put these into a playlist please… too much gold

1 Like

A few favorites off the top of my head

3 Likes

Couple of big hit bangers here:

BTW, that SSQ video above is worth checking out if you didn’t - the band members have racing driver suits with synth company logos on them, including Sequential and Simmons. Also the lead singer did ‘Two of Hearts’:

7 Likes

I, SERIOSULY, LOVE ALL OF YOU :hearts:

The other day I just sat and absorbed until about half way through the thread and that’s only because I ran out of hearts! So many different flavors and emotions to learn from, and there are so many songs I had forgotten existed that really opened my eyes back in the day. Thank you for sharing! :beers:

That and I forgot the time was running out on a few ongoing challenges, so I didn’t want to miss out on those!

2 Likes

Growing up in the 80s on new wave and punk the following bands are legendary:

Duran Duran
New Order
Depeche Mode
The Cure
The Smiths
Dead Kennedys
OMD

2 Likes

The 1980s is too much for one thread imho. There was just so much going on that hadn’t happened before. It’s the decade of MTV, the Walkman, new wave, no wave, post-punk, synth pop, goth/industrial/EBM, indie pop & indie rock, U.S. punk & hardcore, hair metal, thrash metal, hip hop, electro, Italo disco…

Bands got polysynths, samplers and programmable drum machines to play with.

I’m an 80s child, so it was a formative era for me (and for many others, clearly).

Pop music was good (except for when it wasn’t).

There is so much music that was made back then that I still enjoy.

For instance: Pixies, Tones On Tail (& all that 4AD stuff), The Smiths, The Cure, The Fall, New Order, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Sonic Youth, Talking Heads, Kate Bush, R.E.M., 80s Bowie & Iggy Pop, Adam & The Ants, Devo, The Cramps, INXS, Go-Betweens, Billy Idol, The Replacements, Sisters of Mercy, Duran Duran, Prince…

I mean, it’s a universe.

Here are a few tracks, just for the sake of adding a few to the thread (not a ‘best of’ or anything):

Killing Joke - Chessboards

Valerie Dore - Get Closer

Newcleus - Jam On It

Ollie Olsen - Win/Lose

New Order - Temptation

The Gun Club - Fire Spirit

Tones On Tail - Shakes

Nine Inch Nails - Ringfinger

Had better leave it there for now.

For the interested, somebody compiled an archive of almost everything that ever got played on MTV’s 120 minutes.
It’s quite a time capsule:

11 Likes

The lyrics are hilarious :rofl:
She started professional life as a producer (back when it was a Profession) and the lyrics in Syntheside are basically a trolling piss-take on musicians relying on synth/sequencing tech at the time.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Clan of Xymox.

2 Likes