SERIOUS: Do You Like 80's Artists?

4 Likes

“Tracks like ‘The Black Hit of Space’ are way ahead of their time,” observed Martyn Ware. "Pumping the synths through massive distortion and overloading the desk. How prescient is that? The ethos of what we were doing was to kind of future-proof it all. We were envisaging people playing this music in ten or twenty years’ time.

Well he said it but I agree. It’s a fucking awesome track. They were groundbreaking in 79 /80 before they went full on pop but hey… everyone remembers ‘Don’t you want me baby?’ WTF

1 Like

I’ve not come across them. I’ll look into it, thanks.

1 Like

Nearly posted this myself, ghosts is quite literally a masterpiece imho…

This one’s just outside the 80s but still its the league and they most definitely hold a special place in the 80s synth music…

7 Likes

I remember buzzing my tits off the first time I played through my troublefunk album, it always amazed me that the whole go-go music thing never really took of in the UK, it’s all seemed very niche but i really liked the vibe, drop the bomb is a classic…

1 Like

My tastes were initially shape during the 80s so I am still quite fond of many, many, artists sounds from that era.

Some classic dance jams.

Nu Shooz - I Can’t Wait - 1985 /vinyl - YouTube

When I Hear Music - YouTube

1 Like

Some of my 80s favorites have been mentioned, bauhaus

For a less well known and quite good gem
Tones on tail

Love and rockets also has some good more 80s sounding stuff

And talking heads, such a top 80s sound for me
Since you like sampling, check this out

Sampled, was sampled from
Over 40 years old, some forward thinking sampling was happening here

Some random top of the head stuff

Well known

Great 80s album with some classics like kiss off, gone daddy gone, and the super popular blister in the sun

Not well known

Later became a band that had some popularity in the 90s

Some 80s had a silliness that can be fun

Also in 90s songs

(Sorry early 90s)
I don’t think this, not to serious dry humor exists as much in music today

Early 80s hiphop classics

This great track had been sampled from

This 1985 track
Notoriously lifted bits from here throughout lots of 90s hiphop. One of the most sampled songs in history, probably recognizable to someone even if they have never heard it

Great stuff in late 80s hiphop

One of the best sampling records ever, 1989
Pauls boutique

B52’s great 80s with good stuff beyond the hits

1979 was also a good year

A lot, but just a few. I could go on so I’ll stop but there is so so much more, we’re talking an entire decade of music

I did not used to like 80s music much because of the cheesyness but I found its not all like that there is so much great stuff and even grew to like some of the cheese too

Industrial, punk, synth pop, new wave, no wave, early alternative, hiphop, electronic, funk, reggae and dub, old metal, and on and on. It’s not all just hair metal, power ballads, and terrible pop songs

4 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

After seeing this post of the Rocksmith sisters

I realized the original was on a 1986 album

1 Like
4 Likes

:grinning:

3 Likes

NGL, there’s some cringe posts on here right now…'Tiffany - I think we’re alone now""?!! Lol WTF.

Mods can we get a thumbs down button since YouTube took that away from us?

1 Like

Serious, do you not like 80’s artists?

Oh yeah, just remembered another mega hit, since OP did ask for mega hits, among other things in the synth/punk/something categories. The funk guitar part is fun to play too

3 Likes

No one’s posted any Haircut 100, who were at least honest about their shallowness

3 Likes

The 80s was a formative decade for me so yeah, I like 80s artists.

Surprised noone mentioned this gem yet:

6 Likes

dude. every rock/classic-rock/classic-hits/adult-jamz etc radio station is still playing the shit out of it. it’s like mentioning the sun in thread about “what’s your favorite sun?”

1 Like

How the most influential electronic band of 80’s did not get into this thread? :slight_smile:
Sampled to death in later electro/techno/etc.

And remixed in 90’s

4 Likes