SERIOUS: Do You Like 80's Artists?

SERIOUS: Yes I do like 80’s artists.

Probably 90% of my favourite music comes from the 80’s, from 80-89, one could argue it is nostalgia but personally I think there is more to it than that. I think that for various reasons including technology and the economic boom in the late 80’s we saw a lot of innovation and easier access to music making, the latter spawning at least 3 culturally significant DIY musical movements which shaped the future:
Punk/New Wave/New Romantic
Hip hop/Electro
House/Techno

4 Likes

It’s the first time I see this Genre.

End of 1979 but I think this opens up the 80’s.

2 Likes

'cause I need some cheering up.

1 Like
3 Likes

And now ->

4 Likes

When I saw this as a kid I imagined it was probably what heaven is like.

I still do

3 Likes

The 80s was the finest of decades for music.

I’ll not bore with lengthy lists but will simply point folks in the direction of Blue Nile’s first two albums. Both are incredible.

2 Likes
3 Likes

The 80s (and into the 90s) … when you couldn’t stop looking at a cover artwork, trying to figure out what’s going on. (Instead of look once and forget forever).

5 Likes

it’s been too long since I listened to Chaos AD… and Arise… need to go back to Roots… Bloody Roots…

2 Likes

YESSSS! SO good!! That Sepultura art is fantastic. A little dark, but so is modernity in many ways. I love the textures.

Wow, Chaos AD was an album? This is going way “full circle”

“Chaos AD” was an early Squarepusher side project with some very grungy experimental techno!
I would post some links here but it was not 80s, so that’ll get messy.

1 Like

I left the 6th Form at school to form a New Romantic Group in 80/81. I was spat at punched and threatened most days for cross dressing and wearing make up. The following year i cut my hair wore a suit and joined the corporate world. Heaven 17 called it the Luxury Gap. And thats my best kept secret.

2 Likes

I used to love it when this game on Flash FM during GTA Vice City…
Feel good vibes amongst the mayhem

3 Likes

:heartpulse:

6 Likes

this album is GREAT !

and this one two

8 Likes

I doubt more than a couple of people here have ever heard of this, but it is a fantastic tune released in 88.
:heartpulse:

1 Like

Another obscure-ish one.

6 Likes

“cabaret voltaire sensoria”

Listening to this in hindsight I’m gonna guess that this influenced the sound of Pretty Hate Machine quite heavily. CV was always a class act. However the bane of 80s ‘mainstream’ Industrial was this it was always cheesy AF. I think that changed with Pretty Hate Machine.

3 Likes