Shoegaze thread

I’ve seen the genre ‘shoegaze’ used regularly on this forum, but I’ll admit I don’t really know what it is. I’ve recently started playing my guitar again and I was searching for bands that combine guitars and electronic music and shoegaze seemed to be mentioned a lot. I thought I’d start this thread to ask you to share examples of your favourite shoegaze tracks so I can be educated.

1 Like

in at the deep end maybe

3 Likes

Shoegaze proper is very small assortment of bands: Cocteau twins, Jesus and Mary chain, slowdive, AR Kane, and ofc mbv. But the aesthetic - wall-of-sound, fx drenched guitar riffs - show up in a massive amount of other genres.

6 Likes

I think for the most part shoegaze only really flirted occasionally with electronic stuff, a token drum machine here and there or whatever. Seefeel were an exception though:

Global Communication’s Chapterhouse remix album is a bit of a lesser-known example:

3 Likes

Not sure this fits your criteria, but it‘s the first thing that came to my mind when I read „shoegaze“.

This is a great and undisovered album. They signed to Warp then disappeared

Also check out Lower Dens. I love their first two albums and they do some very interesting layering things. Terrible video on this track tho

1 Like

Since Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine have already been posted, I’ll go with an electronic artist who was heavily influenced by those two bands: Ulrich Schnauss.

To go off on a slight tangent, he also releases some nice atmospheric/liquid D&B under the alias Ethereal 77.

3 Likes

They sound even better now! Sound is huge on this performance

3 Likes

Curve are one of my all-time favorite bands, and they live right here; tons of drenched guitars, heavily effected bass, drum machines, electronics, and noise. Their earlier stuff is more guitar and bass driven, while their later work is much more electronic. This is from their second album I think. Doesn’t hurt that Alan Moulder engineered their albums.

10 Likes

Love them. It’s amazing how both mbv and Slowdive returned so triumphantly.

3 Likes

Holy shit how is that not Garbage?

I’d never heard them. Sounds really good. Thanks.

Moulder did a lot of work on the new Beach House (which is very shoegazey at places)

2 Likes

I’ve been on a shoegaze binge at the moment, so it’s a coincidence that you created this thread - I’ll be following.

I think the general consensus is that the Holy Trinity of shoegaze albums are:
mvb - Loveless
Souvlaki - Slowdive
Ride - Nowhere

Another few albums I highly recommend are:
Alcest - Souvenirs d’un autre monde
Bedroom - bdrmm
Bowery Electric - Beat
The Verve - A Storm in Heaven

Should be enough to get you started :slight_smile:

3 Likes
6 Likes

Curve was one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen, in a Portland dive venue on their Cuckoo tour. Magnificent.

When I think of Shoegaze as a genre this track is the first thing that pops in my mind:

…but this is probably my all-time favorite:

Besides MBV, Seefeel and the more alternative stalwarts there were some great lesser-known artists like Bowery Electric:

Their later releases were less guitarish and more triphop and sample-driven, but still awesome:

5 Likes

Love the Moose.

1 Like

Big shoegaze fan here, besides the usual giants like MBV Slowdive etc I also really love the instrumental side of shoegaze pioneered by Loveliescrushing, Babybreath is amongst my favorite shoegaze tracks of all time

another instrumental shoegaze favorite is the first Belong album, and anything by Jefre-Cantu Ledesma, and obv Grouper/Liz Harris(if its that drenched in reverb it can only be shoegaze, right? :slight_smile: )

btw, since this is a gear-forum, let me leave this here to fire up some GAS, the Keeley MBV/Slowdive tribute pedal with those classic reverb-presets like bloom reverse and soft focus, paired with a jazzmaster tremelo simulator and a BIG muff!

https://robertkeeley.com/products/loomer

7 Likes

Oh and let’s not forget Flying Saucer Attack!

or his cover of the drowners

I think I put Labradford in the same stack back then, bit pastoral for shoegaze but it really fit the mood. And then there are the discussion-points, Spacemen 3? Spiritualized? And what to do with the Happy Mondays and The Stone roses?

And the eternal argument here in this household, Isn’t anything or Loveless? Can easily fill multiple evenings of banter with that one.

3 Likes

Lush! Their earlier releases are timeless gems.

5 Likes

I see no real point in differentiating between space rock and shoegaze.

The only difference is that one lot sound like they’re singing about love and feelings and stuff and the other lot sound like they’re singing about drugs.

2 Likes

Its all about the reverb! More wet more shoegaze!

1 Like