Should I sell the Digitakt & Digitone for an OCTA MKii?

Instead of sample locking you can use a different part. Each bank has 4 parts, which are like kits, 64 in total. When you switch to a new pattern just load another of the 4 parts for that bank and it will remain linked to the pattern. Since a bank has 16 patterns but only 4 parts, many use patterns 1-4 part1, 5-8 part2, etc… If you wanted you could load a different part to each of the first four patterns of every bank and have a total of 64 patterns each with their own part (kit).

I find it extremely useful to use the same part for several patterns so you can have an evolution of multiple sequences (patterns) where the track sounds (edit pages) can be freely tweaked in anyway and have the tweaks carry through…

For bpm changes you can use the arranger, I guess you know that. I run patterns at various tempos for improv jams so prefer global bpm… A useful tip is that when the tempo page is open you can hold function while changing the bpm and it won’t change until you let go of function…

5 Likes

Also if it helps you can put the bpm in the name of the part so you don’t need notes…
You can also write notes in the arranger without actually using it…

4 Likes

That would certainly be the ideal solution!

This is excellent stuff! I think I may benefit from building out a “template” using the method you lay out above…

OT mkii owner here, IMO I would sell the digitakt and keep the digitone because you can send midi to digitone and use the OT’s song mode. I mean selling both would get you closer to OT mkii but you would miss out on the OT’s ability to control other synths.(unless you already have a “better” FM synth?)

After you have your template and begin setting up parts for a project, don’t forget to save each part once it’s in a spot where you like it. That way you can mess with all the settings and perform a part reload to get back. Also, if you tweak a saved part and end up liking it, you can copy that part onto another part and reload the first one, don’t forget to save the new part as well after its copied, so your able to reload that one too if needed…

Parts are autosaved so you never really have to save them, but it’s the only way to be able to do a part reload which is/can be extremely useful…

6 Likes

just keep it and save up for a DT or DN if you end up still wanting them. You have already tasted the new things that the OT is capable of that the DT+DN are not so if you sell it it will be the same thing all over again. You will remember you had those features with the OT and will want to buy one again turning it into a cycle.

My suggestion is just take the time to check out all the things the box can do, then practice it so it becomes second nature, then the workflow argument wont be a problem. Unfortunately no box is perfect and all instruments will always have something missing.

2 Likes

Spent some time and made a template building out a template using the “part 1 on patterns 1,2,3 & 4 etc.” thing tonight then put that template to work. Was able to churn out two sketches with speed and efficiency all in a way that reminded me of working on the DT! Great advice friend!

2 Likes

Great advice folks, I am at the very least going to give the OT time to grow on me and enjoy it along the way.

Also, I’m finding myself using the scenes primarily for filtering the master track and am getting pretty bored with that… What are some of your go to scenes?

I often set scenes to mute multiple tracks quickly. Not a life changing trick, but I find it useful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Slice a drum loop, apply linear locks, use a scene to reverse the sample with the rate parameter set to timestretch. Because of the locks everything stays in time but you get interesting effects depending on the number of slices.

2 Likes

i would never ever part with the immediacy & workflow brilliance of the Digitakt+Digitone combo. OT goes in the category of swiss army knives that I’d end up using 10% of at best - I think of all the times I’ll “really learn Reaktor” or “programming in Puredata is everything” and then I learned the basics and got distracted by other things. I’ve only got a Digitakt but the fact that it laser-focuses my ADHD brain into instant results is better than any of the killer features the OT could provide for me. this is highly subjective of course!

3 Likes

sell and buy 2 outboard effects pedals and use the OT’s que outputs to get even more creative with effects.

1 Like

I see that argument for sure. I started with a DT and love it. Fast and fun. I added an OT about a month ago and was super frustrated for awhile because there’s so much stuff to learn. Looking back, the first jam I recorded on the OT (second day of owning it) was pretty good. I just stuck to the basics. Loaded preset samples and started mangling em and sequencing on the first day. On the second day I started making scenes for variations. That was my first hint at the power of the OT. This was an eye opener and got me excited about the Possibilities. It’s also what got me into trouble at first! I started trying too many things without having a basic handle on the machine. From there, I asked a series of stupid questions that were answered by patient, experienced users on this great forum. I quickly learned the OT can be as basic or as complex as you want it to be. I still love my DT, but the OT is the gift that keeps on giving. You really can put together nice jams quite quickly

3 Likes

:smile: Such a gearsluty answer but from my experience it holds true. I spent a few years and much £’s doing the rounds with Elektron gear starting from a not dissimilar place to @hatchbackspacecraft. Bought, sold, traded. There will come a time when you will miss the DT (and DN) but don’t cave in this time. Stick with the OT and in time add to it.

I’m currently wrestling with some inner gear demons just now. As ridiculous as it sounds, I finally discovered sampling within Ableton with Push 2. It does what I do on the OT just far quicker. So I have a little demon on one shoulder saying “sell it, whats the point” but I know from experience I’d regret it - so time to rethink my approach. It doesn’t help that I totally miss having the DT around mind you haha.

3 Likes

The key word here is ‘quicker’. Dont be ashamed you’ve found an easier way to be successful. Be enlightened.

5 Likes

lol, I just bought an MPC 1000 on top of my 5million other drum machines / grooveboxes I have lying around here…GAS is a serious condition man, and my immunology is TERRIBLE :stuck_out_tongue:

Take it from someone who samples with the Push 2 and badly wants an Octatrack…yes, Ableton can do most of the things an Octa can do, but by the time you’ve worked out all the workarounds, set it all up, and found peace with the limitations / half-fast solutions you have to settle for (especially in terms of handling), you’ll have lost all inspiration. Playing around with the MPC 1000 here, I REALLY come to appreciate the immediacy of the Elektron gear. Octatrack is next here…muhahaha :wink:

2 Likes

That could easily be a description of working with the OT :wink:

3 Likes