Show me your studio diagram

Here’s mine, light blue for midi outs, green for midi ins (with channel numbers) and purple for USB. No audio routing in the diagram as it’s all done in my XR18. Transparent gear is out of the setup for now.
I wouldn’t be able to survive without this diagram, I keep forgetting the connections and the channels and everything.
Show me yours!

5 Likes

if its just for MIDI stuff, mine is really simple. Everything MIDI goes straight into my MioXL, Mac is MIDI-fied via an Ethernet cable into the MioXL.

Then I just route whatever I want to use via network midi. I have a couple of presets that are basic setups for my two zones I use MIDI in to make things quick. I also renamed all of the ports so I have some idea of what is plugged in where.

Usually I have the Syntakt or Digitakt as my central midi controller to send MIDI to the hardware and software I am using on the track.

:laughing:

16 Likes

It doesn’t have to be just for MIDI, everyone makes it for what matters to them. I’ve seen cool diagrams with audio routing only.

1 Like

Hehe, i did a similar sketch when i got the cirklon to have some overview.
Green=Midi (in/out) Blue=Analog CV/trig, Purple= Midi clock

5 Likes

30 Likes

This is my pre-move diagram… I can’t wait to get it all wired again.

2 Likes

I love threads like this.
Everytime I think I have too much gear, and my set up is over complicated, I see threads like this and think- nope I’m doing just fine.

I dont have a diagram. Dont need one.
Synths/drum machine/sampler into mixer. Midi into where it should be.
Leave it the fuck alone. Thats it.

2 Likes

1 Like

10 Likes

Maybe it’s just that your memory is good lol. I kept forgetting midi channel numbers for my synths. Now every time I’m switching between synths on my master controller I just glance at the diagram “right, the Juno is on 7”.

Also I’ve got most cables hidden, and in the past rearranging the setup inevitably ended with “okay, where the hell does this go… time to crawl under the table again”

1-4 digitone
5 moog
6 SH101
7 SV1 or other
8 MS20

11 auto channel.

Not much to remember :wink:

1 Like

I kept getting lost in the same amount of synths lol

Details:
Pedals: EQD Hizumitas is permanently hooked up to the Microfreak. CE-2w, BF-3, Digitech Polara and Obscura are all on the FX loop of the mixer. The modular is, at this time, an ES SampleDrum, MB2s, Doepfer a-106-5 (SEM filter), Dreadbox Eudemonia, Pam’s and Kinks. Basically it’s an extra filter for the MB2s and semi-generative breakbeat machine (which I frankly suck at using).

2 Likes

9 Likes

Substitute “crippling depression” and “intense work stress” for doubt in the bottom loop and you have me :smiley: I’ve been sitting on a track for days now just because firing up Ableton to finally record it feels like too much effort.

1 Like

Situation well known, but mostly when i make music with sound libraries.

When i try to replicate ensembles using Kontakt etc, the wait to load samples plus the mem/cpu saturation, voice stealing and all the rest…this can badly break the momentum.

2 Likes

Load times are the absolute worst momentum killer - right above having to swap cables around. My Ableton install is a bit odd at the moment - there are two processes which use up an absurd amount of CPU at startup, and never seem to go away. So on top of the usual startup time, I have to wait for task manager to open and kill two separate processes before I can even record anything.

Yep…the first thing i always do when starting Ableton is shuting down the Index.