Show us your gardens!

Absolutely beautiful! Do you mins if I ask where that is?

1 Like

Dublin, Ireland. :ireland: :umbrella:

3 Likes

Awesome, must be even more beautiful when you’re drunk all the time ;). (No offence, just my personal vague recollection from various trips to Ireland).

1 Like

I dunno the most beautiful gardens I’ve seen were in the early morning after a night of not drinking. Could of just been a patch of scrubby lavender and some sort of balm, or just a couple ferns still wet with dew or, a few tomato plants at the end of September struggling to still produce fruit. Pretty much all the things one would miss if drunk or hungover.

:joy: no no that’s quite alright, it’s our national pastime.

3 Likes

My ignorant face didn’t know you had, or could grow, palm trees in Ireland.

Or perhaps your Mam is just that good.

Enjoy your time in such beautiful surroundings!!

2 Likes

That makes two of us, you learn something everyday!

1 Like

I think the tall ones are Yukka, they do look like palm’s tho I don’t think they’re the same family. the shorter big ones are ferns. either way yea its a really nice place :heart:

not sure if u could grow palm in Ireland 🤷
maybe on the south coast? no idea.

3 Likes

A ha! Yucca trees, but not to be confused with yuca/cassava (which IS something I know about - yum!).

Thanks for the education!

3 Likes

my pleasure. I don’t really know what I’m talking about, just pick up bits here and there from me ma.

what’s yuca cassava? :blush:

1 Like

Root veggie common in Latin and African cuisines (probably others as well). My mom makes it, sometimes, on special occasions, fried, with some mojo. You can also boil and serve it with onions (and mojo).

Super carby but delicious!

4 Likes

Look for yuca/cassava chips (“yuquitas”) at the market next time you are there…

2 Likes

will do, love carbs me :blush::stew:

3 Likes

Yuca is good carbs too, it’s on the low end of the glycemic index so it’s healthier than potato.

I usually air fry it and top it with grated Irish cheddar and some fresh herbs.

3 Likes

The thread !! THX TO @Juniper_Steels

20 Likes

This is what yuca looks like. The biggest plants are about 9 feet in height. Each plant should produce 30+ lbs of food. I should harvest these in the next couple of weeks and will update when I do. I have these growing as an edible hedge, essentially, and they block some of the summer sun from the windows. I will definitely be replanting these here again after harvest.

4 Likes

Due to the heat, I do not have a ton growing right now. This will change over the next few weeks as temperatures cool. Seen here are longevity spinach, eggplant, key lime. The sprouts are mustard greens, arugula, sorrel and Carolina reaper peppers. I’m getting ready for the end of summer. :grinning:

I like water lily and my wife planted a mass of wild flowers along the street. People actually stop to pay compliments. We planted peanut among the wild flowers to keep them fed. I’m also growing maple trees from seed. I intend to plant them in a stealthy fashion in out of the way areas of public parks in a bid to increase biodiversity. They are native though, not to worry.

12 Likes

Lovely! I’ve got raspberry for the 1st time this year. I may borrow your idea there.

4 Likes

is this thread referring to “gardens” in British English or American English?

i.e. are we talking about vegetables and flowers here, or just grass?

2 Likes

Both!

4 Likes