Simple Digitakt MIDI Routing Question

Greetings. I’m trying to sync my Digitakt + Behringer TD-3 + Ableton. How can I accomplish this without MIDI routing / mixer outside of the Digitakt?

(TLDR; ANSWER FOUND: go into Settings -> Routing and select INT to MAIN OFF)

What I currently have set up, but has a sync delay with Ableton lagging behind TD-3:

• Digitakt MIDI OUT: USB, to Ableton, driving MIDI tracks

• Digitakt MIDI IN: Arturia Keystep (irrelevant here)

• Digitakt Audio OUT: studio monitors

• Digitakt Audio IN: TD-3

• TD-3 Audio OUT: Digitakt Audio IN, Monitoring ON

• TD-3 MIDI IN: from Digitakt MIDI Out Sync A

When I press Play on Digitakt, Ableton MIDI tracks are triggered, TD-3 START pattern is triggered.

Due to ASIO buffer, Ableton lags TD-3, for obvious reasons.

Digitakt SYNC settings are set to SEND Clock and Transport only (and not receive).

I wish to be able to
1 ) Program patterns on TD-3 and play them from Digitakt
2) Trigger Ableton MIDI tracks
3) Synchronize the outputs of TD-3 and Ableton, which ultimately are mixed in the Digitakt Audio Out

Obviously Ableton cannot move back in time, so the TD-3 should be delayed by an appropriate amount.

Alternatively, I wonder if Digitakt should trigger Ableton MIDI, which in turn should be set up to trigger TD-3.

I would really just like the TD-3 output to be routed through the Digitakt and into Ableton, but it seems like even if you mute all tracks in Ableton the Digitakt still outputs the monitoring of the TD-3.

In my experience, whenever a DAW is involved it always wants to be the master otherwise everything gets out of whack with jitter.

2 Likes

I believe I got it. I had to go into Routing and select INT to MAIN off.

In this way the Input to Digitakt is not routed to the Main output, and instead is routed (over USB I guess?) to Ableton, where I can monitor the audio input from there.

It sounds good and synchronized now, plus I can add effects to monitoring in ableton that could not be done by monitoring the digitakt in’s via digitakt.

1 Like