Skateboarding thread

:+1:t6:

2 Likes

Richie Jackson :exploding_head:

1 Like

Found this awesome spot by my home:

Too scared to try it yet though.

I’ve been doing a good 30min-1hr a day and starting to get some things back. Besides the usual ollie, shove-it, and BS 180 which I never lost, I landed a FS 180, half-cab, switch ollie, and even got an ugly kickflip down. I’m still trying to figure out the timing for a no-comply but that one has been tough.

8 Likes

Great spot!
I’m working in a daycare center and once when I was showing the kids some tricks after not having been on a board for many years I was suddenly able to do pretty high ollies! I was just kicking the tail really hard to the ground. Kind of annoying I didn’t figure this out when I was actually skating.

2 Likes

That spot looks super fun!!

I just read this on Fred Astaire’s wikipedia:

He remained physically active well into his eighties. He took up skateboarding in his late seventies and was awarded a life membership in the National Skateboard Society. At seventy-eight, he broke his left wrist while skateboarding in his driveway.

4 Likes

Wow…I had to look that up…

Fred Astaire

Gene Kelly

Katherine Hepburn

:exploding_head::+1:t6:

5 Likes

Ha, speaking of injuries… one and a half weeks back into it and I’ve sprained my ankle. :sob: The funny thing is, I didn’t even consider foot injuries when getting back into it since they were never a problem when I was just doing flatground stuff before. I was just getting into some cooler techy stuff too, but I guess shouldn’t have pushed it too hard. Just really wanted a horizontal kickflip!

3 Likes

I should of stopped interneting after reading that this morning as it put me in a really good mood and was just down mood consumption from that point onwards…

I bought a cruiser board 4 months ago, and I’ve been having so much fun! It’s been really satisfying to go from being wobbly on the board and having a hard time pushing and getting really sore, to being able to comfortably cruise without ruining my legs :slight_smile:

If the weather’s good enough, I’ll skate to/from kindergarden after delivering or before picking up my kid, and aside from just enjoying cruising I’ve also been practicing simple stuff like hippie jumps, body varial, 180 pivots on the way. Progress is slow, but it’s so nice when I feel slightly more comfortable doing them the next day.

I’m trying to learn tricks too, but progress is even slower there. My best attempts at ollies are very low and rocketed, and if I actually land them (every 1 out of 50 attempts), they look like this!

3 Likes

Anyone else spending way too much time in Session:Skate Sim? 3 months in, gnar learning curve but hooked now….
Little edit/jam from today :arrow_down:

1 Like

I do animation for a job.
I’d love to make a skateboarding game.
I always thing they could make the animation look better than what it ends up like.
Just need skateboarders who animate to work on it.

Here’s a little piece I did a few weeks ago.

3 Likes

Yes! I’ve been loving it, best skateboarding game in a long time.

Never skated that much but hanging out with skaters and watching skatemovies been very important to me. Early hiphop, dead kennedys, Steve miller, Funk, Pixies. I heard alot of incredible music thru skatefilms. 411 soundtracks. Plan B

2 Likes

The Session devs might still be hiring an animator last I checked - the recent hire I don’t think worked out.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip.
I’m at Blind Squirrel games pretty settled in at the moment.
Hoping to pitch my own skateboarding game.
Direct it into something a little different.
Everyone uses mocap, and doesn’t really finesse the look.
There’s gotta be a better way.