Small MIDI keyboards - MiniLab, M32, etc

Apologies if there’s already a thread on this, I couldn’t find a recent one but if there is please close!

I’m looking for a small MIDI keyboard to use on the sofa with Ableton, as right now I’m using the computer keys and it’s not ideal! My main criteria are that it’s fairly small and fairly cheap. Any knobs etc that integrate with Ableton are a bonus, as is a real MIDI out so I can use it with hardware. I don’t think I’m too bothered about drum pads though maybe I’m not thinking about it enough. Ideally it wouldn’t feel super cheap and nasty, but I’m not much of a key player so it doesn’t need to have amazing keys.

The two that have caught my eye are the MiniLab mk3 and the Native Instruments M32. Both look nice and the knobs and little screen seem like a cool bonus feature. I have both Arturia and NI plugin suites but don’t use either of them that much so the native integration is kind of a wash.

Any input on these or other options would be much appreciated!

How small?
How cheap?
How many keys?

Haha sorry, good point. I was thinking 25 or 32 keys - small enough to sit on my lap. Around £100 probably.

Hi,
Even if it has to be small I would vote for a more versatile keyboard that has a DIN MIDI Out port, not only MIDI via USB.

Maybe something like the Arturia Keystep

Yeah, this definitely is a point in favour of the MiniLab mk3, it has a proper DIN MIDI port (not just a 3.5mm)

Then, these new Akais could be interesting, too:
(However not all have DIN MIDI)

Thanks! That mini keyboard is indeed interesting, I hadn’t come across that one

If you‘re looking for a small/mini keyboard with very good Ableton integration, few beat the Novation Launchkey Mini mk3.

6 Likes

If you have NI Komplete then the m32 is a no brainer, IMO. It is great hardware and the integration with both NI and Live is great, IMO. The screen, however, is t i n y.

1 Like

My APC mini mk2 turned up d.o.a and wouldn’t power up, hopefully it’s a lemon and the replacement works… the build quality was super nice for such a cheap controller though and the pads and faders felt very good…

1 Like

The AKAI range was definitley on my mind coming onto the market for this kind of gear. At the time the mk2’s APCs hadn’t been launched, so I went with the Launcheky Mini

The Launchkey Mini is pretty much plug & play with Ableton, as you’d expect with Novation. It also has nice features like the arp, as well as the ability to control hardware with it’s physical MIDI out port. So on that side, it sounds close to what you want. To me, for non keys players who want to enter some of their drum & keys notes live and then adjust in Ableton, or to play into an external sequencer, it’s hard to beat. It’s not that pricey and it sometimes even goes on Amazon day sales which make it a no brainer for the money.

The AKAI’s gain that big clip launcher at the cost of controling external gear. I imagine this decision comes down to whether you’re committed to clip launching (as a pose to arrangement view) as a workflow. The Arturia/NI ones have a nice software bundle too, but from what I saw are less focussed on Ableton and more on the software integration with their chunky knobs and whatnot. Again if that’s more of a priority then they are both good options. And all the key players now have a version of a controler with transport controls which was missing from a lot of them before.

Hard to go wrong here I think!

1 Like

Agreed! I need to think about which features I actually would use rather than getting distracted by a big feature list. Ultimately I originally just wanted 25 keys I can use on the sofa, haha, but when you see the range of extra features out there you start thinking… :slight_smile:

Yup. I think for me, the main drive was to not use the computer keyboard, and to have it at hand so I can grab it and start punching notes & pads. With the Launchkey, you just plug it in & go - and also you can quickly control the 8 marcros on the devices at the bottom in Ableton. I have heard (although this could be just reviewspeak) that the others sometimes need a bit of work because of their focus on instrument control.

1 Like

Got My replacement APC mini mk2 today, works a treat, very nice little controller for the money, obvs would have been killer to have velocity sensitivity for the pads but the new note modes are great and the device controls works like a charm…

How are you finding it without the encoders and flashy bits of the 40mk2? I really like the look of the APC 40mk2, but it also seems to be out of stock everywhere (unlike the Novation LCXL.) Am wondering if a) there’s a big update coming for those devices or b) Ableton have blocked anyone releasing anything with pads, encoders and faders in a bid to protect Push 2? These look great as they are mindyou, a big view into the grid & as a pair I imagine they work well together (or even with one of the MPKs.)

Yeah I mean it’s no push 2 but for what it is it has a lot to offer, you getting a full clip of session view control plus scales and note mode and the drum mode works great for stock drum racks and premade racks, if you use the faders and knobs in relative or pickup mode the lack of endless encoders isn’t really a issue for me either, the only minor gripe is a lack of any velocity sensitivity but I don’t think that for 85 quid that’s a big deal and device mode is a cool thing to have too, works flawlessly with Ableton stock devices and only takes a few clicks to map your own with 3rd party plugs…

For what it’s worth I think anyone making live centric controllers is under strict instructions to limit the feature set to what Ableton will allow so as not to undermine push sales…

I also tried it with some iPad stuff and it played nicely there too, the only thing that let it down there was the drum and session modes provide no visual feedback whatsoever but all modes are available still for mapping to whatever apps you have…

Best mini keys I have experienced are on the keystep. Arturia have several that might suit your purpose.
But perhaps you’d like the korg Studio devices:

One is a 25 key velocity sensitive keyboard (has scales, chords and arp) the size of an ipad. Does usb or bt midi. A useful addition might be the one with the sliders.

I bought and sold the korg stuff in short order last month, quite possibly the worst playing experience I ever had with the keys and the nanokontrol was woefully undersupported in anything outside of korg gadget… there isn’t even an official Ableton remote script for it… the only plus they had going for them was a pretty comprehensive editing tool for remapping them…

Sure, there are far better velocity sensitive experiences. But for the size it’s very complete.
Mapping is of course a drag, but once done, you have a lot of functionality for the surface area it uses. I guess if size+functionality are top, then the korgs have their place. For sheer joy you need something else, but couch-able joy is a tricky one.

1 Like

Yup I was a bit bothered by non-endless encoders until I found pickup mode and then as you say it’s simple enough. As you say for the money as well they look great.

I think the interesting comparison here might be the Launchpads? They lack the faders, but with the bigger pads and the ability to have velocity & a few other nifty details on the X for a bit more money… Naturally I think Ableton’s CEOs were probably in Novation HQ saying “don’t you dare add pots or we’ll have you!” I’m wondering if that’s where the pads as faders thing maybe came from.