Small monitors advice

This might seem incredibly silly but I’m looking for ‘quiet’ studio monitors.

I just use headphone’s these days as the walls between apartments are very thin and I think I have early onset tinnitus in my left ear as a result of long hours with them on.

I have a pair of ESI nEar 05’s that I never use as I just find that they are hugely bass heavy… Even at low volumes it sounds like there a subwoofer pumping in the room somewhere. That can’t be right, can it?

The time has come to get a tinier pair that will do the job until we leave this blasted tiny apartment.

I know the smaller you go, the more you compromise on accurate sound reproduction, but my ears are the concern at the minute and I basically want to get away from the headphones without annoying my neighbours. If I need to reference a track on bigger monitors and I can always do so at college.

Any tips on this strange query are much appreciated:)

Martin

EDIT: On the cheaper end of the scale;)

That’s two concessions you’re making now. First size, and now price too!?
I was going to recommend Genelec 8010. Sometimes you see a used pair for $500.
JBL LSR305 sound much better than they cost.

[quote="“AdamJay”"]

That’s two concessions you’re making now. First size, and now price too!?
I was going to recommend Genelec 8010. Sometimes you see a used pair for $500.
JBL LSR305 sound much better than they cost. [/quote]
Thanks for the tip Adam.
Well I was more hinting that I can’t afford a new pair of 800euro Genelecs.
One day. I’ve just read in the “your setup” forum about having expensive gear and crappy speakers, so I’ll certainly be guilty of that till I leave this place.
My ESI’s will be fine once I move, or I’d even upgrade them… but for the summer I’m stuck in a tiny apartment with thin walls so just looking for a stop gap filler to listen at really low levels.
Maybe I’m under the complete wrong impression that smaller 3" speakers will be better to remain quiet. Perhaps 5" speakers at a low level is better.
I’ll look into that.

Fair enough. :slight_smile:
If you can find a pair of 3" woofer Genelec or Adam that are within your budget, I would highly recommend the investment. Otherwise, the JBLs are quite solid. My fiancée will probably be getting a pair as a gift soon.
I’m sure you’ll get several more tips here for others as well.
Best of luck!

1 Like

[quote="“AdamJay”"]

Fair enough. :slight_smile:
If you can find a pair of 3" woofer Genelec or Adam that are within your budget, I would highly recommend the investment. Otherwise, the JBLs are quite solid. My fiancée will probably be getting a pair as a gift soon.
I’m sure you’ll get several more tips here for others as well.
Best of luck![/quote]
As Always, Adam, thanks for putting me on the right track:)