So, I want a dedicated bass synth

It really is. It does have a kind of quacky sound that’s hard to escape (pretty sure it’s the envelope curve), but it’s surprisingly flexible. I almost like it more for percussion than melodic stuff.

1 Like

I miss the sound of my Typhon plenty but I just couldn’t hang with the screen that is quite literally the size of a postage stamp. It was the same fatal flaw that did in the Microfreak. If a screen is required to get things done it really ought to be bigger than that.

1 Like

I don’t miss anything in my Typhon. The sound is meh, the effects are horrible, the interface is clunky, especially the sequencer. The AS1’s interface isn’t better, but the sound is way above. I’ll have to test a Minitaur and something like a 303 or a Norand Mono to pair with my DN.

3 Likes

I can certainly offer a vote of confidence for Minitaur. It’s what I replaced my Typhon with and I get the feeling it’s a true keeper.

3 Likes

Hi,
After a few hours of use, I can tell the SE1X will replace my Grandmother with talent. It is not exactly the same thing but it is very close.
The low end is huge. The sound is rich, plain, raw, round and creamy. Moreover, it is a more versatile synth. A winning bet :content:

Minitaur is also a winner for bass duties.

6 Likes

I’m afraid that I’ve to agree. I wasn’t really impress by the Typhon, neither the sound nor the workflow was convincing. I sold it but didn’t get any replacement yet. Still undecided

1 Like

Not really a ‘compact desktop unit’

Not sure if someone else has mentioned this, but may I suggest the Dave Smith instruments Desktop Evolver.

I also own the minitaur and Typhon (someone want to buy them?), and for me the evolver simply sounds better. On the bass side of things, there’s 2 prophet analogue oscillators, with obvious pedigree, and 2 Prophet VS digital oscillators (and some other types) which are really stable at lower frequencies.

I realise the interface is polarising, but I personally like it.

2 Likes

As far as units go…yes it is.

1 Like

Ok, agree to disagree.

Really? I don’t get this take. If you judged it by the presets, then it makes sense to me.

It’s one of the raddest boxes I’ve ever owned… and I’m old bro.

Presets are often a good starting point, and Typhon’s are pretty good. But after a few weeks, I realised every patch was overloaded by effects, which are not so good at all (in fact absolutely horrible to be honest). Removing them just revealed me the truth : the sound of this box is thin and weak. It doesn’t have the punch I like in the DN or the AS1 which are very different but have a great core sound. The AS1 effects are forgettable, but the DN few effects are outstanding (and I a guitarist, I have played quite a lot good boxes). Those units don’t have the same price tag either. Now it’s a personal point of view and I’d be happy you’re happy with your Typhon. To each their own :wink:

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree that these things are always subjective. But every now and then I’m surprised how wide the gap is between points of view.

I sold minitaur after a couple years. No doubt about the tone, ballsy bottom and filter cream - squelch. I found it boring in the end. No sequencer, no effects, Bread and bitter. Same reason I sold slim phatty (that and money). Don’t ever miss either.

BS2 on the other hand is always a blast to play but is not as harmonically rich.

Typhon gives ME both. A super fun playing experience and fat, rich tones. I love the effects and their tweakability but it’s very easy to overdo and the presets all have them overdone. Sequencer is dope af,

3 Likes

It can be frustrating (with some advice not being valid for me) but I appreciate the spectrum of preference and what is “right” for so many people beyond not being my cup of tea :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Evolver… one of the 2 machines I always regret selling. And I sold it twice. Duh. The other I always miss is the JP8080. Both do thunderous bass. And both are to spendy nowadays to re acquire.

Funny. I remember the first month with evolver thinking “this is what a synth should sound like… this is amazing.” And that’s how I feel about
typhon. (They obviously sound not the same)

1 Like

+1 for Evolver

I used to use Mopho as my main bass synth, then sold it after upgrading to x4 keys. I picked up Evolver desktop recently and it I really like it as a bass synth! It has all the character/modulation of the mopho but the additional digital oscillators really open up the possibilities

Sometimes it feels like a bit of a waste to sum the stereo osc/filters down to mono for bass… but for breakdowns and transitions, opening up the stereo spread/offset and HP filter really can take things to the next level

Reading the replies here, I kind of regret selling my minitaur. It indeed had a nice round fat bubbly bottom. I just got a bit bored of it, a one trick pony if you will. I am eyeing the grandmother now, but I have no room in my studio and I’m not letting anything go!

I couldn`t agree with you more! At the moment I have six analogue synths, and every one of them can do some serious bass-business. If I would have to put them into order, it would be:

1. Pioneer Toraiz AS-1. Best sounding synth bass I have ever had, hands down. Very easy to find good and usable sounds and sweet spots. Cuts throught the mix very well! Very usable practically in every genre. Enough knobs for live use - at least for me. Looks and feels nice and has pretty good build quality.

2. Dreadbox Erebus v3. I got this only a few days ago, so there might still be a honeymoon phase going on. Loving the sounds, knob per function, aestethics and the format (goes very nicely with Elektron boxes). One of the best looking synths I have ever owned. Exquisite build quality makes me want to touch it all the time.

3. Moog Minitaur. I`ve never been a huge fan of the Moog sound, but this thing can still spill out some very nice sounds.

4. Doepfer Dark Energy v1. Massive and sexy bass-sounds, but less versatile compared to the rest of the gang (except MB33).

5. Novation Bass Station II. I guess it is ok overall, but was a bit of disappointment considering the hype around it. Quite bulky and plasticy too…

6. MAM MB33 retro. Sounds fine, but the sound palette is quite narrow. Too small and wobbly knobs.

I used to own also Monologue and Dreadbox Typhon and used them both for basses. I liked Monologue a lot. Typhon was more or less ”meh”.

3 Likes

I love the Minitaur for bass. I’d love to see Moog do a V2 with a small screen for preset numbers.

1 Like

Just saw this thread. I’d add one more to the mix: the Pittsburgh Microvolt. The bass can get heavy, deep, and supple. I have the Typhon and I think the Microvolt is better for bass. But the initial reason I got it was because I could control it with CV only.

3 Likes