So, is everybody getting out of modular?

Ah. I assumed you had been referring to the very beginning of modular.

Well leave it to pandemic and supply line crisis to temper any risk taking in boutique manufacturers.

1 Like

This might be definitely a point, particularly, if we are collectors of modules and experimenting with different patch ideas.

If a rack is also an instrument, well thought out, then it might only take a change of perspective and work approach to become musically productive. Either we have so much instrument with well balanced modules that we can extract a couple of different timbres, rhythms, or melodies at the same time and use it like an orchestra, or we do it the old school way and record part after part after part … until we have enough material for a track. Takes some planning ahead, though :wink:

My issue with modular was I was constantly seeing alternatives to modules I had that I believed offered more or better options. Was impossible so settle and focus on what I have. It was a toxic cycle of creating new combinations and watching videos of modules.

One good thing I took from it all though was a better understanding of audio routing and modulation. I now approach using synths slightly differently and have rediscovered modular software with a better understanding such as reaktor, Softube and voltage modular.

Though I’m glad to be out of modular im also glad I did it as lots to learn on the journey

8 Likes

No

just not making it the main source. Hybrid

1 Like

This. I have learned SO much from modular that I never learned from my Elektron or DSI synths. And as a bonus, I can now program those much more effectively.

9 Likes

Acquiring a modular system is a bloody expensive way to simply learn synthesis. Virtual modular is the economically reasonable option for this.

7 Likes

Hopefully yes so it can go back to underground

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that learning synthesis is a primary goal for getting into modular. Rather, learning more about synthesis is a result. I had an A4 when I started acquiring modules, and I learned a lot from both the research that preceded my purchases, and the actual use, some of which I could take back to the A4. Sure, I could have gone a similar route via systematic exploration on the A4, but that’s not the way it worked out. As for virtual modular, it’s like virtual anything: one has to get past the psychologically unpleasant aspects of the interface. I think anyone contemplating an entry into modular should fire up VCVRack. But after a day or two of working with it, I knew that I didn’t want to use it any more.

9 Likes

I honestly think that has a lot more to do with you than with the modules. Things seem innovative when they are new to us, and I feel like this time period was where modular was still new to a lot of people, so each new module really captures your attention. Things that might not actually be that innovative seem like they are because we weren’t aware of their forebears. Nowadays, we are used to the revolving wheel of modular innovation, so it feels less innovative. Is something like Stolperbeats not innovative? Or are we just used to that type of innovation so it is less exciting?

1 Like

I remember the day I realised I needed to get out of eurorack.

I was scrolling about on Modulargrid, looking at all the modules and it struck me that most of what I was looking at looked like the inside of a teenage girl’s journal. My dislike of hipsterglyph is well known on here and I’ll try not to rehash the same argument, but I’m inclined to agree with @ImNotDedYet, I think a lot of the innovation came and went, leaving a void inevitably filled by overdesigned (sorry, boutique built) nonsense, most of which doesn’t do much more than Doepfer modules from years ago that cost a fraction.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty of well-designed, utilitarian and clever stuff being built still, but every time I scrolled through the hot mess of shite on MG, I kinda felt guilty by association.

I know it’s hardly a popular opinion, but who gives a shit.

8 Likes

But you are not alone in having such an opinion… :blush:

2 Likes

tfw the recession hits

6 Likes

This may have been the problem in the first place. I’m not sure the shopping aspect of modular is healthy. Tooo many options. Especially on Modular Grid. Not sure I’ve just scrolled through modular grid tho. I’ve actually stopped using it now that my system is set.

Possibly came and went in the 60’s and 70’s. A lot of the “innovative” modules are just rehashes of the OG designs with a twist. Not sure there is much innovative anything happening in any type of synthesis (I would say modular sampling was done some amazing things tho). Just remixing the past. With modular, it seems the simplest, most direct with room to work (finger space to turn knobs) is most important to me.

Are you talking about Make Noise and their lettering style? Or just module front panel lettering in general?

One last question- How long did you use this modular? Did you finish building your goal? Or did you just sell everything because of this Modulargrid experience?

True.

I’ve gotten into modular, loved it and learned a lot. But it is digital modular (Drambo/miRack)

Yeah, probably right.

Other than granular (which is shit), there’s not been much new since the digital stuff in the late 70’s/early 80’s.

They’re one of the worst offenders, sure. But I’m talking about anyone who thinks calling functions by oblique names or using illegible fonts is cool.

About a year, yes, finished building what I wanted to build, but then got stuck in a cycle of constantly looking for another module to tweak this or that. It did my head in, so I sold the lot of it.

3 Likes

same

2 Likes

Hmm, I should really get into modular …

13 Likes

Strong content.

Our bravest truth-teller…:rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

8 Likes