So, is everybody getting out of modular?

I was just going to recommend an Implexus.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I think it is more like this:

10 Likes

I call this preset Tin Can Thurston Moore

3 Likes

I’m not, I love mine. Despite having a Dave Smith synth that “could do it all and more”. I sold that and bought a complex oscillator.
The workflow just didn’t gel with me in the same way.
I do need a pad machine though, so I’m saving for a Nymphes (a ridiculous bargain of a poly synth).
It (the messy spaghetti thing) seems to speak in my brains language and I sample anything of interest.

Any setup that consists of more than one box is a modular setup.

6 Likes

For me, making a small modular mono synth was the key for unlocking the joy of modular…
70HP 6u DPO Ripples Linnaeus ( Current ) - Eurorack Modular System from Michaalhell on ModularGrid

its the same width of an elektron Mk1 box and double the height. this also doubles as a really cool drum machine/groovebox… im thinking of replacing voltage block and RT-60 with some XAOC modules as ive been craving their modules for years.

6 Likes

When everyone’s out, I’ll get in.

5 Likes

This. Still waiting for some signs of price capitulation. Lots of those selling off their modules at the moment - on here, on reverb, on eBay - are trying to bail out for somewhere near 80% of new price. When that gets closer to 50-60% I might dip in tentatively…

I won’t bail on Euro completely – but I’ve sold almost half of what I had. I’ve got some stuff that interacts well with it, like the AFmk2 and a MiniBrute 2, and the modules that I’ve got are fun to use.

Glad I tried VCV & MiRack before sinking any cash into euro. While I like the possibilities & unique outcomes, I like the reality of a well designed & affordable synth more.

Can’t say I’ve made a drum synth patch that sounds as good as the Syntakt or even the Volca Drum in a digital euro system. Most synth patches I’ve made in digital euro don’t come close to the flexibility of an SH101, let alone a Hydra.

Standalone gear will always be better in my opinion because developers & audio engineers have designed a whole package, not part of one.

^Classic YMMV there, mine just wasn’t as far as most other people’s.

That said, modules like the recent Dreadboxes, euro-Moogs & West Pest are the right kind of balance.

1 Like

After years of using a Nord G2, I realised I wanted real analogue FM and waveshaping. i was smitten by the sonic character of the SV-1, got one second hand (I swapped a 6-Trak for it) in a case with free 48 hp, which I’ve since filled. Along with the OCD:CV, and cables I paid around £1400 - quite a bit cheaper than, say, the Pro-3. So I have 3 oscillators with multiple outs, 2 filters which can be patched in series, parallel, a function generator which also makes a great oscillator, Thru zero FM, wavefolding. It can be patched as a bi-timbral synth. I love the sounds I can get out of it. I tried a Pro-3 in a shop. By no means a bad synth, but I way prefer the sonic character of my small case, and it’s way, way more flexible. The only module I’m considering replacing is the only digital module in the system a Clep Diez - I can use the OT or Daw to do what it does.

I consider digital modules as a luxury which I wouldn’t endulge in, even if I had the funds. Reaktor 6 can do anything digital modules can and IMO sounds just as good, but with the added bonus of being able to save patches.

5 Likes

I think you are probably right that standalone systems will sound better 90% of the time, because of the focus of an instrument designer. But if none of the existing synths sound the way you want, or you are interested in having a bit of that instrument designer mindset, modular is great.

1 Like

If anyone is getting out of modular, I’ll be happy to give your modules a nice home :slight_smile: Just send them to me!

6 Likes

I’d hang on to your voltage block for a while even if you take it out of the rack, seems they’re having a very hard time making new ones

2 Likes

I’m just getting back into modular.

My modular system doesn’t have any real buttons, instead it’s all knobs.

It really makes it a totally different experience than sitting down and programming an elektron.

I’m having tons of fun and don’t plan on selling anytime soon, if anything I’ll be adding.

9 Likes

If you have some way to amplify external sources, you really should try running that G2 thru your modular. I do so with my Nord Lead and man… I’m forever jealous of the G2 tho. The other day I was thinking about those little pictures on the morph table that represent a patch, or randomized patch. They were so interesting sometimes. Early algorithmic art.

1 Like

I feel like this is what I would want in my “minimal” mono based mostly on what I have minimal MCO mono - Eurorack Modular System from beewo on ModularGrid I suppose someone might want to go a little bigger or do a pallet case to move some functions to 1u and then you might have room for dual MCF.

1 Like

I have a 2hp line to modular x 2; and modular to line x 2. I need to explore more g2 into the euro.

Yeah the patch mutator is a handy tool. Cross mutation between two patch variations is very useful. I rarely use the randomizer. but you can exclude modules from randomization.

1 Like

Thats a solid rack. ALM is definetly up there among favorite Eurorack brands

1 Like