So, is everybody getting out of modular?

IMO, it grew a little too quickly for how small it really is. I mean, it’s the biggest modular synth market to ever exist, but it’s still RELATIVELY small in the scale of music, musical instruments, etc. I think it’s reached a record amount of musicians, and I think that it will also continue to do so. However, it also grew WAY too fast, it became almost like a collectible item (card game, stuffed animal of choice, etc.)

People also tend to get so excited once they see the possibilities that they grow their systems faster than they learn how to use each part. Then they get frustrated with the whole thing.

Euro, while not horrible, is also kind of wild-west(y) when it comes to “standards” and I’ve seen people get excited to put together their dream synth, (generally from disparate brands) only to be disappointed when it all doesn’t work like what they were emulating, or had built up in their head.

There are also a lot of REALLY cool non modular synths, sequencers, boxes, etc. out these days (more than when modular (Euro specifically) started picking up so much. People likely don’t have the capital to build walls of modular, try out every cool module, AND try out all the cool non-modular gear. Also, some boutique and high end non-modular gear has prices that were pretty much unheard of outside of vintage markets since maybe the 90s (not including adjusted 60s, 70s prices).

I think your observation is correct, but rather than people just dumping to dump, I think the market and peoples’ expectations are NORMALISING and ADJUSTING, and things will eventually settle more or less where they should be.

There will likely be a slower re-uptake in modular gear from those who dumped it, though much more cautiously and thoughtfully, and studios will have a more leveled spread of hardware types.

Chip shortages also threw EVERYTHING WAY OFF. Nobody really saw it coming (at least not the full picture) until it was too late. For someone like me, I can adjust my analog designs very easily to use alternative parts. But digital MCU/FPGA/etc. designs require learning completely new platforms, acquiring them before they get bought up, etc. in those conditions, and are much harder to adapt. That’s where much of Euro was headed. Digital. You’ll notice things like the TT Buchla modules are available, because they don’t require STM32 ICs for one example.

Also, I haven’t noticed any slowdown with the ultra boutique stuff (Buchla, Serge, 5U, etc.) Those already moved at a snail’s pace compared to Euro, but they didn’t seem to be quite as impacted. I’m guessing because they’re larger investments comparitively, and people approach them differently than they would Euro. I also know from my own tiny tiny super under the radar micro one man pseudo business, that I can’t even keep up with the people that want things from me, so there’s still at least a few people wanting modular bits and pieces.

There’s definitely a shift happening, but I think it’s more like entropy than a passing fad.

Also, it seems like modern non-modular gear (and specifically designed accessories) more and more is coming with or designed with CV interoperability in mind. Elektron was kind of on the front end of this with the A4, but now you have things like the Hydra including a lot of CV IO to interface with (among other things) modular gear. Also an unprecedented amount of conversion boxes (where once you basically had Kenton and Encore, there are TONS of options now) There are also many keyboard housings to fill with Euro modules, and all of this adds up to a lot of cool connectivity and customization that was never possible before. I don’t think that’s going to be wasted on a public that just decides to ditch it all.

22 Likes

When I saw NORMALISING in caps I was expecting ATTENUVERTING to be the next one :frowning:

14 Likes

Hehehe! If the market ATTENUVERTED, I’d want to be there when it hit close to zero. :smiley: I’d snatch up everything!

Edit: Unless the negative side was people paying me to take their modular gear. Then I’d want to go full negative. :wink:

3 Likes

I often wonder if there is a good reason eurorack was decided to be 3u and not 4u in size… I suppose people designing crowded modules will always find a way to add more into the space and it will be crowded even in 4u, but in my mind it would just be a little bit bigger and more spacious to use. Heck with the way modules went going more complex digital I almost imagine that 6u like the wiard stuff might have actually been a better standard for stuff. I suppose we just have to live with 3u being the most popular though… when designed for the space it is really not bad.

2 Likes

What about them RANDOATTENUVERTING markets tho :thinking:

2 Likes

In fact there was.

Euro Rack is actually a European telecom rack standard. Telephony cards slotted into them.

Dieter Doepfer found that having that infrastructure portion already existing and cheap to acquire from Telco surplus was a big benefit to keeping costs down.

Then the small, simple panels helped as well.

In the US the Paia Frac format had geen around since the 70s or 80s, so Jon Blacet among others (Grant Richter, etc.) started making things for it.

I started out in Frac, and even designed a line for it about 5 years back. IMO it was the Beta, but Euro took over like VHS.

28 Likes

I’m not sure that 3U is the problem per se, but rather that people want to stuff as many modules in a small space, so module UI became more compact and the whole system more difficult to use. For example most Doepfer modules until the past few years have decently spaced UIs with no knobless minipots, the same for more established brands like Make Noise.

Exactly … some might consider the following “rule of thumb” before getting too much gear … if you add a single module to your synth, the possibilities might multiply … and if one is new to modular, such an instrument might become overwhelming very quickly …

1 Like

IIRC … the statement of a developer was … having the same functionality 3U modules can be produced at lower cost compared to the larger sizes. But I think that is not the only reason, though.

Might save a little bit on materials, but component prices are what they are given the same part and design.

Some brands use higher grades of parts though (fancy op amps, expensive film or mica caps etc.) so those will cost more regardless of board size.

Some parts are rare, so that can cost more.

Mass producing SMT boards can be a lot cheaper than say hand soldering through hole boards. (Some parts, but especially labor.)

One can use $1 each pots on the panel, or $15+ pots on the panel. Typical brands of 1/4” and banana jacks can range from $2 to $5 each. 3.5mm even good ones are less.

NKK toggle switches are around $5-6 each.

The panel itself (depending on material and process) can definitely cost more in larger sizes though.

An anodized, black 3mm thick 5U modular panel at 1pc can be around $100-150 now, where a silver anodized 3U might be $35-60.

PCB material panels will be much less, and size will make less of a difference.

6 Likes

Once we are debating different sizes - why not make digibox (DT,DN,ST,AH) the new standard for desktop gear?

1 Like

I would love some sort of Mutant Machine in the new Digibox :tm: format. No sequencer - all analog & knobs all over the place. Just 1 complex voice with filters and eq, distortion and saturation. 1 drumpad. done.

think its called ATTENURANDOMIZING

oh Emelie pls come back

1 Like

Noooooooooo :stuck_out_tongue: It should be all controllable by the Elektron sequencer! And four voices! Could have CV out … and CV in, if recordable to a track …

5 Likes

The Lyra-8 is close to what you are asking for. Probably a little bigger than the Digis.

1 Like

Well, you are supposed to have a minimum of two Digiboxes on your desk. So in my case DT will sample and sequence the new Lyradrum voice :wink:

Like the A4 Mk2? :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, I see…not the A4 Mk2.

1 Like

3 Likes

Some people stand in the darkness…

3 Likes

Some people float in it.

3 Likes