So, what do you do?

I’m a commercial insurance agent :roll_eyes: Decent money, but not my thing.

My entire life my biggest passion’s have been music & art (drawing, painting, sculpting, pretty much anything creative). I planned to go to art school, I was going to go to the Art Institute of Seattle, took the tour, got accepted (I think everyone gets accepted tho) & was about to go. But I got scared. I know it’s hard to get a job in art or music, there are so many talented people in the world & I was worried I would graduate, not be able to get a job & my mom paid all that money for nothing. So I went the safe route & got a job at my mom’s insurance agency when I was 19. Now I’m 40. Still in insurance :expressionless:

I went thru a lot with drugs, lost everything, had to build my life back up & it made me realize there are way more important things to me than money. If I could go back I would follow my dream. But it’s never too late!!!

Follow your dreams!!

20 Likes

Wow, awesome thread! I’m an implant surgeon (tooth implants, not boobies), husband and father of an amazing 8 month old daughter.
Music is my therapy and I couldn’t live without it.
(digitakt is a better portable instrument than mpc live, fight me :rofl:)

8 Likes

Not sure I’d have made that same choice between the two… :smile: :rofl:

2 Likes

great stuff! sound design is so fascinating.

1 Like

You can still follow your dream. You still make music, so technically you are, right?

1 Like

I have been a Industrial Electrician for 25 years.

5 Likes

yep! Living about 75% of my dream :star_struck:
plus I love everyone I work with, my bosses are laid back & it feels like easy money. I even get to read manuals, do research & play on forums at work so I can spend my off time living my passions! Too be honest, I feel pretty lucky.

5 Likes

I’ll help mix it up a bit - Avalanche forecaster and ski guide. :):snowboarder::helicopter::snowflake:

10 Likes

University ESL. Pays the bills and then some.

1 Like

I feel your pain, Industrial Electrician in the Seattle area. Spend 3-3.5 hours in traffic everyday in a high stress work environment.

2 Likes

I can relate to that. I wanted to become a police detective, but always thought that i am not smart enough, so never applied. Now i am 49 married with two children and in IT as DevOps Engineer and its too late for a police detective career. Making Music, photography and painting is my second passion and basically i only do IT to support my Family, and finance my passion for creating Art, music, Pictures…If i will retire i wont miss the IT Job…

6 Likes

I made a thread for this, but I want some more critical feedback on the sound for this video. I plan on including this in my portfolio so I can apply to sound design jobs!! Very excited and nervous!

Grimetime

Accountant for a fishing company North of Seattle.

4 Likes

3D animator, Maya/Max/XSI/Houdini for 20 years. Been out of werk for, coming up on, 4 years now. :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m a mental health nurse by background… currently working part time in an assessment clinic and part time as DBT therapist. Both jobs in the NHS in the Uk

7 Likes

SEATTLE! Me too

I work at a synth shop in Seattle. Cool thread!

4 Likes

3D animator here too, but just with Maya/XSI i was out of work for a year before getting a job in mocap :sweat_smile: but im on TV series work now and its stressful, on a month to month rolling contract!

1 Like

I am working as a Software Engineer/Technical Consultant for over two decades now. Good money, interesting projects and since I found the correct company, a perfect work/live balance. Enough work to get my expensive hobbies running (Music, Big Model Aircrafts, Outdoor cooking) and enough time to spent that money :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes