So, what do you do?

I work for a distribotor of pro audio and video equipment. some very interesting brands, have daily to do with gear (between spreadsheets and emails of course).
At least a music related job, some of the know-how i accumulated during 20+ years of music production is now part of my job, i feel lucky!

7 Likes

I teach 6th graders math and science (or at least I attempt to do so). On non-pandemic years, I also hold an elective intro to music production course once a week. The kids love it.

17 Likes

Same boat here. Iā€™m a Math teacher in High School and give introduction courses on gear once a week (when not in pandemic). These courses help to create a better relationship between students and teachers.

14 Likes

Exactly! We mainly use online resources cause the kids have Chromebooks, but I show videos of my studio and gear. We talk about synthesis, production, basics of FX and mixing. The kids write their own stuff and share it. Itā€™s a lot of fun.

10 Likes

If you have not seen this already:

This is an incredible resource for high school level students and above, my students are a little too young for some of the content, but Google really went all out here.

5 Likes

@slicetwo and @Tchu That sounds great. How does that happen, is that part of a curriculum or just extracurricular programs initiated by you?

2 Likes

In Quebec (Canada), you have a teaching part and you have what you call a BCD to complete the teaching part. BCD can be a lot of things but if you have an interesting educative project, you submit it to the Principal and he has to approve it.

3 Likes

What does BCD stand for? I am also a teacher in Canada (Saskatchewan) and I think we might have something similar. Curious as I would like to implement more music/production content in my curriculum.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been working at a small laboratory for over a decade. I started out in Sample Receiving, unpacking water & soil samples that arrived, and logged them into our system for analysis. Eventually, I became a Client Manager; I only had an English degree, but I ended being good at it.

Several years ago, I decided I wanted to go back to school to get a Computer Science degree. I took one class a semester, and am actually only a couple classes away from completing it now.

Interestingly, about a year and a half ago, I was promoted to Department Manager though, and I decided to take a break from school to focus on my new role. Itā€™s a very stressful job to navigate a small lab like ours during this pandemic. Weā€™ve historically relied on environmental work, but are trying to shift into different markets. Despite the stress, I like my job for the most part.

10 Likes

Infectious diseases and virology doctor.
Not many musical kindred spirits in my profession, sadly.

13 Likes

A big thank you to all the teachers out there!

17 Likes

Cheers to you my friend. I was a sub for about 8 months and middle school was the most challenging, and most rewarding, by far.

My school specifically has a 40 minute period every day set aside for things like this. 3 of the 6 days a cycle, I do my math remediation, 1 period is for music production, then the other 2 are for department meetings (the most exciting things of all time!).

2 Likes

It warms my heart there are so many teachers here. To quote Homelander - you are real heroes.

2 Likes

To simplify it, I work in homeless services. The pandemic has been hell for this field, and I am looking into moving in a new direction soonish. I want to learn a trade or go to school. The cost of living is very high where Iā€™m at, so I need to move cautiously.

The global reality of unemployment has me feeling a little stuck and nervous to pursue new career opportunities or give up my stable job, but life is long and personal well being is ultimately the most important thing.

Anyways, homeless support advocate, soon to be welding student or newb electrician (i think)

8 Likes

@slicetwo and @Tchu thanks for the info! Itā€™s inspiring to hear. And opens up to thinking towards whatā€™s possible in education / sharing this passion.

3 Likes

I suspect we may have a fair number of friends in common ! I know quite a lot of rope access workers/companies around your area (Iā€™m a caver and done a bit of climbingā€¦)

Job turned out to have some of the worst OH&S practices Iā€™ve seen in a long time - lasted 2hrs before noping outta there. Currently working out how to actually go about reporting them for numerous violations.

Turns out Unicorns aint real after all.

6 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the job search. I know itā€™s rough in some areas, I hope thatā€™s not the case for you.

1 Like

Iā€™m a university professor. My field is history of scienceā€“mostly history of biology and the earth/environmental sciences, but some history of computing as well.

Music has always been my (main) side-hobby and escape, but now Iā€™m starting to wonder whether I could merge the two. Iā€™m getting to an age (fast approaching 50) and stage in my career where I can really work on what I want without worrying about what other people think (I have job security, plenty of books and publications, etc.). It took me a long time, a lot of work, and some serious stress to get here, and now Iā€™d really like to be much more selective about how I spend my time.

So Iā€™m thinking about maybe diving into the history and culture of synthesis and electronic music. Surprisingly little has been done on this topic by professional historians. I have to say I learn a ton from interacting on this forum, and Iā€™ve gotten a lot of inspiration from people here from all walks of life and levels of experience, which has contributed directly to my current thinking.

On that topic, if people have any suggestions or recommendations for sources, Iā€™m all ears (and eyes)! Could be histories Iā€™m not aware of (Trevor Pinchā€™s history of Moog is about the only book I know of), people still alive to be interviewed, archives (digital or physical), particularly important developments, etc. Iā€™m not just interested in who-built-what-when (what we call in the profession ā€œinternalistā€ history), but also the cultural changes that inspired and were inspired by technology.

21 Likes