Softpop2 or a DB-01 for bass Monosynth

Looking to purchase some new gear. I’d like a monosynth for some aggressive/weird basslines. These two peaked my interest.

The Softpop2 looks great and can provide some experience into semi-mod, but the DB-01 can make some incredible drum style patterns along with face-melting basslines. I have an LXR-02 coming and feel like the DB-01 would be a great companion to it. But I also have an Acidbox 3, and couldn’t I just use that filter on any monosynth with a similar destructive sound considering the DB-01 contains the same polivoks filter?

Any experience with these two? Would it be redundant to have both?

DB01.

Or both.

But definitely DB01.

3 Likes

I’ve had both, still have the db-01. It’s worth the admission just for that sequencer.

2 Likes

What @Fyzion said (though I’ve never owned the Softpop2 or Acidbox). The core sound of the DB-01 is quite nice, the filter is great and probably quite similar to the Acidbox, but it’s the sequencer and other UI elements that take it into special territory. Plus it’s really built like a tank (fond memories of my toddler grandson going wild on it). I have great respect for Bastl (Pizza and Ikarie are two of my favourite Eurorack modules) but I never really considered Softpop2 as a contender.

(PS Welcome to the forum, @OLDBOY!)

2 Likes

Thank you! @plragde Glad to be here

1 Like

DB-01! It sounds amazing and is tons of fun to play and sequence. You know what to do.

1 Like

When asked “X or DB-01?” I’m always going to say DB-01. I honestly think everyone should have one. It’s such a workhorse!

4 Likes